Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by stephem
But I see that AA has US-India fares (via the Atlantic) that are quite permissive and other than requiring AA across the water, they permit unlimited transfers and really only preclude a small number of non OW alliance carriers. My sense is that these would enable US-EU on AA and then potentially a mix of other carriers from there. For instance, Clearly LAX-LHR(AA)-CMB(UL)-BOM(UL) would work. But how about LAX-LHR(AA)-DOH(QR)-BOM(QR)? That is technically transiting a fourth region... would that be allowed? If so it would enable a range of RJ, QR and EY connections from various AA gateways in Europe.

Has anyone chased any of these options down or is transiting in both the EU and ME not permitted?
AA still treats the Middle East and Indian Subcontinent as the same region for 3rd region routing purposes. So connecting in DOH or AUH on your way to India wouldn't be considered a 4th region connection. I can't imagine a routing like LAX-LHR-DOH-BOM causing any problems, since AA is the overwater carrier and most LAX-BOM fares are MPM based.

As with any of these questions it's best to just find availability then call AA to see what it prices out as.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:59 pm
soy

Programs: various
Is MLE-AUH-JFK-BOS valid as a single award flying EY and AA ?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by soy
Is MLE-AUH-JFK-BOS valid as a single award flying EY and AA ?
It complies with the general region rules. Whether it prices as one award will be known by booking

Looking at EF, it seems that EY does not have a published fare for MLE-BOS , just a constructed fare, so it may price as 2 awards
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: star Alliance, JP miles, SQ, Avios
Can you book AA award flight using Avios ? I'm pretty new to this and have been researching for some time now but couldn't find out if I can book award flight available on AA using Avios. I'm looking at DEL/BOM - YYZ award redemption and while there are options listed on BA the surcharges and fees are on a much higher side. So, I wonder if booking on AA using Avios could save on those fees
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you want to book using Avios, then you need to book through BA
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Harrytind
Can you book AA award flight using Avios ? I'm pretty new to this and have been researching for some time now but couldn't find out if I can book award flight available on AA using Avios. I'm looking at DEL/BOM - YYZ award redemption and while there are options listed on BA the surcharges and fees are on a much higher side. So, I wonder if booking on AA using Avios could save on those fees
No. Booking trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific AA flights with BA Avios will also attract high carrier surcharges.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:49 am

Ok here's an obscure one - how does AA feel about airport transfers in the Middle East? Specifically have a flight arriving in DXB, but would like to transfer to AUH to continue on Etihad. Would this be allowed, or have to book at as two separate awards?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metzgersdog26
Ok here's an obscure one - how does AA feel about airport transfers in the Middle East? Specifically have a flight arriving in DXB, but would like to transfer to AUH to continue on Etihad. Would this be allowed, or have to book at as two separate awards?
DXB and AUH are completely different cities 70 miles apart, they are not co-terminals so it will be separate awards.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:00 pm

Thanks JJeffrey, figured as much but as there are no connecting flights thought there may be an EWR/JFK exception
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:22 pm

QF and MH question...AA.COM nor KVS tool find desired QF and MH award flights. I joined both the QF and MF FF programs, searched those sites, and found availability for my desired flights. If I call AA to book, will AA agent see the desired flights or does the AA agent only see what shows as available on AA.COM? (Or, like I did for Etihad last year, I had to call the AA center in Australia for booking?). Many thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lamphs
QF and MH question...AA.COM nor KVS tool find desired QF and MH award flights. I joined both the QF and MF FF programs, searched those sites, and found availability for my desired flights. If I call AA to book, will AA agent see the desired flights or does the AA agent only see what shows as available on AA.COM? (Or, like I did for Etihad last year, I had to call the AA center in Australia for booking?). Many thanks!
You've got nothing to lose by calling, aa.com certainly has its share of bugs, and MH availability on aa.com is relatively new so there's not a lot of data points on this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
QF and MH question...AA.COM nor KVS tool find desired QF and MH award flights. I joined both the QF and MF FF programs, searched those sites, and found availability for my desired flights.
MH's website does not give you an accurate representation of their award availability. MH redemption from their own Enrich program books into a different booking class rather than P, U, X. MH has dynamic pricing redemption for all their own metal redemption so it's technically almost always available unless its sold out but the mileage may vary.

EF will be an easier way to find MH and QF availability (both QF and MH displays P, U, X availability on the flight availability tab; you don't have to search it using the award/upgrade tab).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:00 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

QF and MH question...AA.COM nor KVS tool find desired QF and MH award flights. I joined both the QF and MF FF programs, searched those sites, and found availability for my desired flights.
What are the flight details?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
What are the flight details?
I was looking at flights, LHR-KUL, in MH F; and SYD-LHR, in QF F...all in mid to late January. Logging into the MH and QF sites found availability on certain dates. KVS did not in the same date ranges (using the BA option).
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I was looking at flights, LHR-KUL, in MH F; and SYD-LHR, in QF F...all in mid to late January. Logging into the MH and QF sites found availability on certain dates. KVS did not in the same date ranges (using the BA option).

IF you don't see it on BA, is more likely is not available on AA, some airlines have more seats available for their own FF customers and that's why you see it with their own search, or sometimes they have different award price (like AA Anytime) which are not available for partners, specially with MH which have Different Levels of awards (L1, L2. L3 and Partner Award).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.