Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by absoluy
I’m trying to get from OTP (Bucharest, Romania) to MLE in EY F.

Would a routing via LHR (on BA Y/J) and AUH (F from LHR-AUH, J AUH-MLE) be permitted?

I’m dubious the most significant carrier (EY) sells an unconstructed ticket on that routing, and if they don’t, you’ll require two awards, as stated in the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I’m trying to get from OTP (Bucharest, Romania) to MLE in EY F.

Would a routing via LHR (on BA Y/J) and AUH (F from LHR-AUH, J AUH-MLE) be permitted?

The routing rules for OTP-MLE on EY, do not permit that routing, so would expect it to be 2 awards , especially given that it is a 2600 mile detour

It does have a fare ATH-MLE, so may be worth just buying a cheap ticket to do the 470 miles to ATH and then start there
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
It doesn't appear so, but BUD-HEL-CDG-AUH-MLE, with CDG-AUH in F does. Swapping HEL for MAD should also work.
I used BUD as the nearest port, but any AY or IB European destination where OTP-x is cheapest, most convenient or would like to visit, should work.

Last edited by LukeO9; Jul 31, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I was holding MAD-DFW-PDX to get our nanny home from our vacation but it was economy and priced at 65k miles. Today i saw CDG-LAX on TN had opened in business award so called in to book that and ask whether i could get IB (MAD-PAR) and AS (LAX-PDX) to ticket as a single award. Ultimately no luck on IB but we did get CDG-LAX-PDX to ticket at 57.7k miles plus a bit more tax ($180 total I think vs $56 for the AA metal award). I have BA and IB miles so will just redeem those to get her to PAR the day before, she wanted an overnight there anyway.

I did ask about adding AS and AA onto a TN award and the agent said her experience is that regardless of published routing by the main carrier, the computer seems ro allow domestic connections on AS/AA pretty much all the time. That has been my experience as well and here I did not find a TN revenue fare that would have permitted this routing and combination of carriers.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
I was holding MAD-DFW-PDX to get our nanny home from our vacation but it was economy and priced at 65k miles. Today i saw CDG-LAX on TN had opened in business award so called in to book that and ask whether i could get IB (MAD-PAR) and AS (LAX-PDX) to ticket as a single award. Ultimately no luck on IB but we did get CDG-LAX-PDX to ticket at 57.7k miles plus a bit more tax ($180 total I think vs $56 for the AA metal award). I have BA and IB miles so will just redeem those to get her to PAR the day before, she wanted an overnight there anyway.

I did ask about adding AS and AA onto a TN award and the agent said her experience is that regardless of published routing by the main carrier, the computer seems ro allow domestic connections on AS/AA pretty much all the time. That has been my experience as well and here I did not find a TN revenue fare that would have permitted this routing and combination of carriers.
If MAD-PAR is not available with AA miles, what makes you think it will be available with BA or IB Avios? Or is the problem that MAD-PAR-LAX-PDX is not a permissible TN routing?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by guv1976
If MAD-PAR is not available with AA miles, what makes you think it will be available with BA or IB Avios? Or is the problem that MAD-PAR-LAX-PDX is not a permissible TN routing?
i have EF, so I knew it was available. The question was whether i could combine the TN transatlantic flight with the IB flight, the AS flight or both. It turns out IB cannot be added as a feeder to a TN award. But AS can be added. No big deal, with avios that first flight is cheap.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:45 pm

I tried booking
ORD-NRT JL First
NRT-KUL MH First
KUL-BKK RJ Biz
AA wanted 120K miles. Award was broken up to 80K ORD-NRT then 40K for NRT-BKK.
However, same routing with all business class priced at 70K just fine.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by IamHungry
I tried booking
ORD-NRT JL First
NRT-KUL MH First
KUL-BKK RJ Biz
Sounds wrong. HUACA?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Sounds wrong. HUACA?
Done that many times. I even called Aussie line.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I tried booking
ORD-NRT JL First
NRT-KUL MH First
KUL-BKK RJ Biz
I don't see anything wrong with that routing, so I'm not sure why it's breaking it into two awards. I would try to get an agent who seems competent and then explain that it's an Asia2 award, which allows transiting through Asia1. See what the agent says.
What happens if you don't have the KUL-BKK segment, or switch to MH? Could you put ORD-NRT-KUL on hold and then add the KUL-BKK segment afterwards?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Perhaps it's not a published fare.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:51 pm

Done that many times. I even called Aussie line.
Odd. However;
AA 8404(JL9), MH 71 in first is a published fare. Then things go a little funny when trying to add on KUL-BKK.
Try flyingeph12's suggestion?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Odd. However;
AA 8404(JL9), MH 71 in first is a published fare. Then things go a little funny when trying to add on KUL-BKK.
Try flyingeph12's suggestion?
Looking at JL's 1st class fare rules to Bangkok, they do not allow that routing - travel within area 3 is limited on what carrier can be used - flights within area 3 limited to NU and JL

MH's 1st class fare from NRT-BKK does seem to allow that routing

Doesn't seem too surprising that it isn't permitted as a single award - it seems more odd to me that the business class award is permitted
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Looking at JL's 1st class fare rules to Bangkok, they do not allow that routing - travel within area 3 is limited on what carrier can be used - flights within area 3 limited to NU and JL

MH's 1st class fare from NRT-BKK does seem to allow that routing

Doesn't seem too surprising that it isn't permitted as a single award - it seems more odd to me that the business class award is permitted
Is it possible for you to share JL first class fare rule?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I don't see anything wrong with that routing, so I'm not sure why it's breaking it into two awards. I would try to get an agent who seems competent and then explain that it's an Asia2 award, which allows transiting through Asia1. See what the agent says.
What happens if you don't have the KUL-BKK segment, or switch to MH? Could you put ORD-NRT-KUL on hold and then add the KUL-BKK segment afterwards?
I didn't try just ORD-NRT-KUL but using MH to BKK didn't help. Still 120K using MH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.