Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Old May 22, 2018, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by indo79
Thanks! Unfortunately QF is not showing any availability for SIN-PER for 2 in C, yet CX is showing SIN-HKG-PER as available.
Have you checked SIN-KUL-PER on MH?

With a business class fare being only USD665 on Malaysia or , although a LCC , Scoot flies non-stop during the day from SIN-PER using a 787 an costs USD303 one way ( not bad for a lay flat seat ) - is the 40,000 points plus $67 cost for an award that good a value?
Old May 22, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Have you checked SIN-KUL-PER on MH?

With a business class fare being only USD665 on Malaysia or , although a LCC , Scoot flies non-stop during the day from SIN-PER using a 787 an costs USD303 one way ( not bad for a lay flat seat ) - is the 40,000 points plus $67 cost for an award that good a value?
Yes, MH and TZ both uses recliners, MH using their 737s and TZ having just 2-3-2 recliners.

I also want to see my niece and nephew in HK while in transit, and I have a boatload of AA miles, and certainly not in a hurry lol.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:01 pm

Hey, after a little bit of guidance, looking at about booking an award from MEL to PVG. There is direct award availability MEL-PVG on QF in business, however I have found first class availability for my dates on QF MEL-SIN, and therefore propose to try get a combined mixed cabin first class award from MEL to PVG.

To get from SIN to PVG requires two sectors (i.e. SIN-HKG-PVG or SIN-KUL-PVG). I appreciate that these flights will be in business class due to unavailability of first, but is it possible to combine the MEL-SIN-HKG-PVG flights on one first class award? I somewhat assume that MEL-SIN and SIN-HKG-PVG will be split into two awards based on available fares, but thought it would be worth asking here first. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Freshmk
Hey, after a little bit of guidance, looking at about booking an award from MEL to PVG. There is direct award availability MEL-PVG on QF in business, however I have found first class availability for my dates on QF MEL-SIN, and therefore propose to try get a combined mixed cabin first class award from MEL to PVG.

To get from SIN to PVG requires two sectors (i.e. SIN-HKG-PVG or SIN-KUL-PVG). I appreciate that these flights will be in business class due to unavailability of first, but is it possible to combine the MEL-SIN-HKG-PVG flights on one first class award? I somewhat assume that MEL-SIN and SIN-HKG-PVG will be split into two awards based on available fares, but thought it would be worth asking here first. Thanks for your help in advance.
Oddly, MEL-SIN-HKG-PVG (QF/CX) prices as separate tickets, but MEL-SYD-SIN-HKG-PVG (QF/CX) prices as one ticket, which should translate to 2 vs. 1 award, respectively - but this is not categorical.
The SIN-HKG leg can have first availability, but with CX, it is not consistent and changes frequently, even in the days leading up to departure. So if you do an HKG stopover (<24hrs) you can have some flexibility.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:10 am

Seat Assignment from Alaska Airlines - Questions

Hi,
I currently have 2 Economy MileSAAver Awards On Hold with Alaska Airlines. I will go ahead and purchase today or tomorrow. When I booked online at aa.com it told me to contact Alaska Airlines to get my seat assignment. I have booked partner awards many times over the years, but never with Alaska Airlines.
-Is there a different Record Locator for this trip other than the one given by AA?
-And if so, I am assuming the best way to find this is by calling AA?
-Is there a fee to choose a pre-selected seat?
-Is it best to get the seat assignment prior to ticketing or does it matter?

THANKS in advance!

EDITED UPDATE: While I did search the Forums prior to posting, I did find a FT Forum post via Google on this subject:>) : Alaska seat assignment on AA award booking

Last edited by miles4sheli; Jun 9, 2018 at 2:30 pm
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
After reading through some parts of these 60 pages-- and doing lots of searching for flights-- please let me know if you think this could be approved:

NRT-KUL MH F
KUL-SIN MH C
SIN-AUH EY F
AUH-CAI EY C

So, it's NRT-CAI, with the two longer segments in F.
I would be willing to cut the final segment if needed.
I did see that flying from Asia 1 to Middle East via Asia 2 is allowed, so I guess the only issue could be the routing/MPM.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman
After reading through some parts of these 60 pages-- and doing lots of searching for flights-- please let me know if you think this could be approved:

NRT-KUL MH F
KUL-SIN MH C
SIN-AUH EY F
AUH-CAI EY C

I did see that flying from Asia 1 to Middle East via Asia 2 is allowed, so I guess the only issue could be the routing/MPM.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
I would say that there is pretty much no chance that that will be permitted unless you are happy to use 2 awards for 90,000 points

MH has no fares from NRT-CAI and EY's fares' routing rules do not permit that itinerary.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

NRT-KUL MH F
KUL-SIN MH C
SIN-AUH EY F
AUH-CAI EY C

Thoughts?
Thanks!
I would say that there is pretty much no chance that that will be permitted unless you are happy to use 2 awards for 90,000 points

MH has no fares from NRT-CAI and EY's fares' routing rules do not permit that itinerary.
Totally agree that's there's little chance the above would be bookable as a single award.

But, if you've found availability on all of the segments, you're wasting time asking here, might as well call AA and see how the award prices. We can only take educated guesses.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All

NRT-KUL MH F
KUL-SIN MH C
SIN-AUH EY F
AUH-CAI EY C

Thoughts?
Thanks!
The following appears to price as one ticket, with the addition of AUH-CAI in business being quite possible. But it will mean doing NRT-HKG separately.
  1. Flight 1Thu, Jul 5

Cathay Pacific
    8:00 AM
    Hong Kong International Airport HKG
    Travel time: 3h 5m
    10:05 AM
    Suvarnabhumi Airport BKK
    Cathay Pacific
    First Class
    Boeing 777
    CX 705
  2. Flight 2Thu, Jul 5

Cathay PacificEtihad
    11:50 AM
    Suvarnabhumi Airport BKK
    Travel time: 2h 35m
    3:25 PM
    Singapore Changi Airport SIN
    Cathay Pacific
    Business Class
    Airbus A350
    CX 717
    4h 45m layover
    Singapore SIN
    8:10 PM
    Singapore Changi Airport SIN
    Travel time: 7h 25m
    11:35 PM
    Abu Dhabi International Airport AUH
    Etihad
    First Class
    Boeing 777
    EY 473
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:48 am

I was looking to change an award from Cairo-London Heathrow (via AMM and GVA) to Cairo-London City (via AMM and FRA) which is the same destination city ( AA agent said that they are co-terminals) but even though it is the same award, because the destination airport is different (LCY rather than LHR) that a $150 change fee would apply

Is this correct? It is not a big issue ; it would be much more conveniant to end up at LCY rather than LHR but not to the value of 2 x $150 to do it

I thought that co-terminals would be ok to avoid the change fee
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I was looking to change an award from Cairo-London Heathrow (via AMM and GVA) to Cairo-London City (via AMM and FRA) which is the same destination city ( AA agent said that they are co-terminals) but even though it is the same award, because the destination airport is different (LCY rather than LHR) that a $150 change fee would apply

Is this correct? It is not a big issue ; it would be much more conveniant to end up at LCY rather than LHR but not to the value of 2 x $150 to do it

I thought that co-terminals would be ok to avoid the change fee
Iirc, o-terminals domnit apply to Awards.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Iirc, o-terminals domnit apply to Awards.
Ahh, so the agent was correct then in saying that there would be a charge to change to City airport

Fair enough - I will just enjoy the delights of afternoon peak hour tube and train travel
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Just booked another one that breaks the rules...

PDX-SEA-JFK-MAD with PDX-SEA and SEA-JFK on Alaska and JFK-MAD on IB. Business the entire way. There is no IB fare that would permit such a routing. This was easy to piece together with an agent, but I even found it online for other dates once I knew how to look for it.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by stephem

PDX-SEA-JFK-MAD with PDX-SEA and SEA-JFK on Alaska and JFK-MAD on IB. Business the entire way. There is no IB fare that would permit such a routing. This was easy to piece together with an agent, but I even found it online for other dates once I knew how to look for it.
I was curious, so I checked EF; IB in fact does offer a J fare PDX-MAD with a MPM of 6636 miles. Your routing is only 6139 miles - no rules broken.

​​​​​
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephem

Do you mind to share more details, as to

What you mean by "I even found it online for other dates once I knew how to look for it." ?

Did you put different awards on hold online then called the agent to piece them together?

How much is the YQ cost?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.