Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
It may be the prevailing carrier may not offer that routing on a paid ticket unless it is issued with married segments - in which case you will not be able to change carriers. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page for award rule details.

It appears the agent treated NRT and HND as co-terminals, much as they might do with EWR-LGA-JFK.

Yes she cited JFK/LGA as an example. I was unaware I could switch from LGA to JFK without triggering the change fee
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Red259
Just wanted to post this experience with an award change, because it was different than I was told it would be. I had a JAL flight in F booked for HND-JFK in the morning with AA miles. I wasn't happy with the morning flight and wanted to fly out in the evening, but the evening flight was NRT-JFK and had no availability at the time of booking. I was told switching from HND to NRT as a departure date would result in an award change fee when I checked the forums, but I was willing to eat that fee for more time in Tokyo and to be able to use the F lounge later in the day. The evening flight out of NRT finally opened up and I called in to change my award. I was not charged an award change fee for switching my departure airports. I may have just gotten lucky but just thought I would post my experience.
If you were connecting in Tokyo, then a change from HND to NRT vv would not involve a fee (eg HKG-HND-JFK to HKG-NRT-JFK or HKG-HND/NRT-JFK). If you are originating from Tokyo a change fee would apply to change HND to NRT vv and if you were not changed a fee, you lucked out.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by seawolf

If you were connecting in Tokyo, then a change from HND to NRT vv would not involve a fee (eg HKG-HND-JFK to HKG-NRT-JFK or HKG-HND/NRT-JFK). If you are originating from Tokyo a change fee would apply to change HND to NRT vv and if you were not changed a fee, you lucked out.
I guess I lucked out because I was not charged the fee. I had a newer representative who had to ask her help desk how to change the cities, so maybe they just told her how and didn't mention the fee. Either way flying out in the evening is immensely better than flying out in the morning IMO, since I want to maximize the F lounge experience as well as my final day in Tokyo.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:53 pm

Can someone please clarify/confirm -- I'm flying ORD-DFW-SYD on AA/QF award. As I understand it, I'm allowed 24 hours to connect in DFW since it's an international itinerary.

Does that mean my ORD-DFW flight needs to land less than 24 hours before the DFW-SYD flight departs or does the ORD-DFW flight need to depart ORD within 24 hours of the DFW departure. I assume I need to arrive into DFW within 24 hours of the QF departure and the departure time from ORD is meaningless, but would like confirmation.

Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Ross0
Can someone please clarify/confirm -- I'm flying ORD-DFW-SYD on AA/QF award. As I understand it, I'm allowed 24 hours to connect in DFW since it's an international itinerary.

Does that mean my ORD-DFW flight needs to land less than 24 hours before the DFW-SYD flight departs or does the ORD-DFW flight need to depart ORD within 24 hours of the DFW departure. I assume I need to arrive into DFW within 24 hours of the QF departure and the departure time from ORD is meaningless, but would like confirmation.

Thanks.
Your DFW-SYD flight must depart within 24 hours of the scheduled arrival of the ORD-DFW flight.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:50 am

Just got off phone with AA rep who said I won't get an email confirmation for a JL award flight until JL has reviewed the booking. Is this typical? When I redeemed for CX a while back everything went through when I was on the phone.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
And here is another one where there is no underlying revenue fare that would allow this to be on one ticket and yet I easily booked as a Saaver business award for my wife. I tried to get my TA to book for me as revenue fare and it broke in LAX unless we used AA metal from there to SEA.

iB MAD-LHR
AA LHR-JFK
AA JFK-LAX
AS LAX-SEA

I have never had this rule hinder my ability to pick two cities, use EF to find a mix of carriers linking them up and book. But for nearly all, I start with a hold on the overwater segment and then call to add from there.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:23 am

Would like an input from you award experts:

I'm trying to book award from Middle East to Canada. The ideal routing would be AMM-DOH-IAD//DCA-LGA//JFK-YVR. Chart says 70k in Business/First, but AA prices it out at 100k. The agent says that the system breaks it up at Washington (70k ME-Continental48 + 30k Continental48-Canada). All segments have <23h59m connections. Anyone has an idea as to why it prices out as so?

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kdub9531
Would like an input from you award experts:

I'm trying to book award from Middle East to Canada. The ideal routing would be AMM-DOH-IAD//DCA-LGA//JFK-YVR. Chart says 70k in Business/First, but AA prices it out at 100k. The agent says that the system breaks it up at Washington (70k ME-Continental48 + 30k Continental48-Canada). All segments have <23h59m connections. Anyone has an idea as to why it prices out as so?

Thanks!
Most likely a published fare issue. The QR fares for AMM-YVR have some pretty specific routing rules. For example, if you fly via IAD, then only AC is allowed between IAD-YVR. Obviously you can't book AC as part of an AA award.

Looking at the fare rules, CX is actually allowed if you connect in JFK from Doha. So if you could piece together AMM-DOH-JFK-YVR it should price out as 70k.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Most likely a published fare issue. The QR fares for AMM-YVR have some pretty specific routing rules. For example, if you fly via IAD, then only AC is allowed between IAD-YVR. Obviously you can't book AC as part of an AA award.

Looking at the fare rules, CX is actually allowed if you connect in JFK from Doha. So if you could piece together AMM-DOH-JFK-YVR it should price out as 70k.
Thanks! I just looked into it and sure enough, it says the following:

AT01* /VIA THE ATLANTIC/ CONSTRUCTED RTG
1. AMM-DOH-QR-DFW/NYC-AA/CX/US-YVR
2. AMM-QR/RJ-DOH-QR-DFW/NYC-AA/CX/US-YVR
AT02* /VIA THE ATLANTIC/ CONSTRUCTED RTG
1. AMM-DOH-QR-YMQ-WS-YVR
2. AMM-DOH-YMQ-WS-YVR
3. AMM-QR/RJ-DOH-QR-YMQ-WS-YVR
4. AMM-QR/RJ-DOH-YMQ-WS-YVR
AT03* /VIA THE ATLANTIC/ CONSTRUCTED RTG
1. AMM-DOH-QR-ATL/WAS-AC-YVR
2. AMM-DOH-QR-YMQ-AC-YVR
3. AMM-DOH-YMQ-AC-YVR
4. AMM-QR/RJ-DOH-QR-ATL/WAS-AC-YVR
5. AMM-QR/RJ-DOH-QR-YMQ-AC-YVR
6. AMM-QR/RJ-DOH-YMQ-AC-YVR
I did try to piece together AMM-DOH-JFK-YVR as noted above, and they're now pricing at 105k lol. Could it be MPM issue, I wonder?
Old May 9, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kdub9531
Thanks! I just looked into it and sure enough, it says the following:

I did try to piece together AMM-DOH-JFK-YVR as noted above, and they're now pricing at 105k lol. Could it be MPM issue, I wonder?
Doubtful it's an MPM issue since all the routings are listed, and connecting via JFK isn't going out of the way at all. Did you try HUCA?
Old May 9, 2018, 6:45 pm
Original Member

It should price out as 75K for J not 70K for AMM-YVR. May have to ask AAgent to refer to rate desk if computer pricing more than 75K.
Unless of course the problem is no connecting allowed in another zone (US 48 States) on a ME-Canada/Alaska award. That would force a break at IAD/JFK etc.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It should price out as 75K for J not 70K for AMM-YVR. May have to ask AAgent to refer to rate desk if computer pricing more than 75K.
Unless of course the problem is no connecting allowed in another zone (US 48 States) on a ME-Canada/Alaska award. That would force a break at IAD/JFK etc.
US and Canada are the same zone (North America) when it comes to 3rd region routing rules.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:49 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
US and Canada are the same zone (North America) when it comes to 3rd region routing rules.
If you are referring to the chart in wiki, is it possible that chart is out of date as I believe the chart was posted on FT before Canada/Alaska was split out as a separate zone from 48 states.

If the chart is still accurate, then I would escalate to rate desk.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are referring to the chart in wiki, is it possible that chart is out of date as I believe the chart was posted on FT before Canada/Alaska was split out as a separate zone from 48 states.

If the chart is still accurate, then I would escalate to rate desk.
Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii have been split out as different award pricing areas but they are all still considered North America for the purposes of the 3rd region routing rules. It's definitely possible to fly say Canada-US-Europe or US-Canada-Asia on a single award.

It's the same as Middle East and Indian Subcontinent, different pricing areas now but still considered the same region for 3rd region routing rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.