Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by geezersrule
why isn't SFO-LAX-JFK-BCN-LHR considered 4 segments? SFO-LAX, LAX-JFK, JFK-BCN and BCN-LHR.
It is 4 segments and would be considered as 4 segments

What the poster wants to do is 5 segments though with SFO-LAX-JFK-BCN-LHR-DUB

Also, the itinerary exceeds the MPM that AA allows for SFO-DUB.

The journey is 7,637 mi
The MPM is 6106. With 25% over MPM, that would limit journey to 7632 miles

Even without a maximum number of segments limit that AA has introduced, this would not be a permitted routing

Getting to London looks like it would be ok mileage wise, but for travel to DUB, givem the stop in London, the $60 BA surcharge , the $22.70 extra US taxes and the $23.50 taxes for BCN-DUB ( $106)) plus the cost of LHR-DUB , I would just buy an economy ticket on EI , which is $105 for a non stop service

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 29, 2018 at 10:19 am
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Would there be extra for the 3 class LAX-JFK segment or is that only in domestic routings?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Would there be extra for the 3 class LAX-JFK segment or is that only in domestic routings?
Not Applicable for travek to Europe
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Is QR availability from Doha to the US normally so limited? I'm seeing plenty of seats in J US-Doha but essentially zero on the return.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Is QR availability from Doha to the US normally so limited? I'm seeing plenty of seats in J US-Doha but essentially zero on the return.
What days of the week are you searching?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What days of the week are you searching?
Sundays and Mondays. Also seeing very little availability DEL-DOH which would be my first leg.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA-Executive Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, IHG-Platinum, Marriott-PPE, Alaska- MVP75K
Originally Posted by beachfan
No, there is no extra for the 3 class LAX-JFK if you can find U class availability and it must be a part of the international itinerary.

Updated: I called AA exp desk back and just added BCN-LHR. The mileage requirement is 57500 miles per person. It is 4 segments all in U (business) class. SFO-LAX-JFK-BCN-LHR (AA-AA-AA-BA respectively).
It has something to do with MPM for sure.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Royaloaks
No, there is no extra for the 3 class LAX-JFK if you can find U class availability and it must be a part of the international itinerary.

Updated: I called AA exp desk back and just added BCN-LHR. The mileage requirement is 57500 miles per person. It is 4 segments all in U (business) class. SFO-LAX-JFK-BCN-LHR (AA-AA-AA-BA respectively).
It has something to do with MPM for sure.
There is documented a 4 segment limit. From https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp

Originally Posted by AA
For each one-way award redeemed for travel within the United States and Canada, a maximum of three segments are permitted. For all other destinations (including Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands), a maximum of four segments are permitted.
Irregardless, MPM would have been exceeded

Have you compared the taxes and charges for travelling onto Heathrow vs ending in BCN? Unless wanting to go to London , you may find that the extra taxes/charges and journey time make it not worth doing
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Exclamation Need quick help regarding award rules

Since my status reverts from EXP to Plat in a couple of days, I could use some quick help on the changes I'd like to make in award tickets. I've tried a search, but I'm not even sure what would be the best terms to use, so...

Using AA miles, my wife and I have tickets to fly EY JFK-AUH later this year. (FWIW, it departs JFK at 3 pm and we're flying in F.) We'd like to set up award connections into JFK. I have a few questions regarding rules for award flights I'm seeing as available - specifically whether we can add the following flights to the existing tickets without shelling out any more miles for these additional legs:

1. Because she'll be a a conference before the trip, she'll be flying ORD-LGA, since the only available flight I'm seeing into JFK arrives too late for the connection. Does that count as a valid connection since she's in the same metropolitan area, though she's switching airports and connecting AA to EY?
2. In terms of what I'm seeing available right now for my first flight, by far the best option is SJC-EWR on Alaska, arriving the day before our EY flight but within the 24-hour window. Again, does this count as a valid connection?
3. I see that award seats often open up on SFO-JFK a few days before the flights. If that happens in the days before my planned departure and I bag one of those seats, will I have be able to avoid paying a change fee since EWR and JFK are in the same metropolitan area?

FWIW, I realize I'll need to split our current reservation since the first legs of our new itineraries will be different.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Doubtful. Co-terminals work fine for connections. But you'd be changing your origination city from SJC to SFO, and that would be a change.

The bigger problem with all of this might be your ability to "change" the award in the first place. You can cancel and redeposit for free, and if the seats on JFK-AUH are still there then you won't have trouble, but someone else will need to weigh in on the likelihood that you'll be able to make your changes without a cancel and redeposit. Maybe because you're adding Alaska (i.e. another non-AA/non-OW airline) to the same award type (US-ME) it'll be okay, but I haven't done that sort of change myself, and I imagine some AAgents will also default to wanting to cancel & redeposit, which I would take great caution to avoid unless there's extra award availability.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Doubtful. Co-terminals work fine for connections. But you'd be changing your origination city from SJC to SFO, and that would be a change.

The bigger problem with all of this might be your ability to "change" the award in the first place. You can cancel and redeposit for free, and if the seats on JFK-AUH are still there then you won't have trouble, but someone else will need to weigh in on the likelihood that you'll be able to make your changes without a cancel and redeposit. Maybe because you're adding Alaska (i.e. another non-AA/non-OW airline) to the same award type (US-ME) it'll be okay, but I haven't done that sort of change myself, and I imagine some AAgents will also default to wanting to cancel & redeposit, which I would take great caution to avoid unless there's extra award availability.
Wow, thanks for the quick and very useful reply!

As for your much-appreciated caution about cancel and redeposit: I believe but am not certain that I similarly split tickets and added initial legs once before after making the initial JFK-AUH reservation - that is, AA made the change without canceling and redepositing. And in a previous post I'd asked about this and someone had suggested it would be ok. BUT I'd welcome anyone's additional inputs on this question.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:34 pm

3. No.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Wow, thanks for the quick and very useful reply!

As for your much-appreciated caution about cancel and redeposit: I believe but am not certain that I similarly split tickets and added initial legs once before after making the initial JFK-AUH reservation - that is, AA made the change without canceling and redepositing. And in a previous post I'd asked about this and someone had suggested it would be ok. BUT I'd welcome anyone's additional inputs on this question.
Yes, but in this case, you are adding a partner flight, if you go with the AS flight
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, but in this case, you are adding a partner flight, if you go with the AS flight
Sorry, dupe

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 30, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Ah,,,(head slap), right you are. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.