Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:10 pm

Question

I'm trying to book an Iberia business class ticket with AA miles. The flight shows 1 award seat available when searching on British Airways' website. It doesn't show up on AA's search and the phone agent doesn't see it either. Is there anyway AA can get this space?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Using British Airways site I found some decent availability about 330 days out for business class seats on JAL through the Pacific from a gateway city like Chicago or New York. The fly in the ointment has been *American's* availability on the feeder flight from my home town of Pittsburgh -- while I know a flight 300+ days out has plenty of seats, the 'normal' connecting flight shows zero award availability in either coach or business/first.

A flight the night before shows plenty of availability in both, and it would be underneath the '24 hour' connection for international itineraries. However, as I said there is a flight the morning of, just not available on American. Will AA let me make an award ticket with the flight the night before? I know stopovers aren't allowed, but this is < 24 hours, but its also not the 'last available legal flight' before the international segment. It's just a 'better' one (since I'd personally rather get there the night before, stay in a hotel that night, and start the long journey on another day) for me.

I also know that BA site sometimes shows phantom or unbookable through AA availability, but before I call and find out, wanted to see if its even possible to get AA the day before and then connect to a partner airline the next day if there's another AA flight in between that is not AAward availabile.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pitflyer
Using British Airways site I found some decent availability about 330 days out for business class seats on JAL through the Pacific from a gateway city like Chicago or New York. The fly in the ointment has been *American's* availability on the feeder flight from my home town of Pittsburgh -- while I know a flight 300+ days out has plenty of seats, the 'normal' connecting flight shows zero award availability in either coach or business/first.

A flight the night before shows plenty of availability in both, and it would be underneath the '24 hour' connection for international itineraries. However, as I said there is a flight the morning of, just not available on American. Will AA let me make an award ticket with the flight the night before? I know stopovers aren't allowed, but this is < 24 hours, but its also not the 'last available legal flight' before the international segment. It's just a 'better' one (since I'd personally rather get there the night before, stay in a hotel that night, and start the long journey on another day) for me.

I also know that BA site sometimes shows phantom or unbookable through AA availability, but before I call and find out, wanted to see if its even possible to get AA the day before and then connect to a partner airline the next day if there's another AA flight in between that is not AAward availabile.
I've done this when on a morning transpac flight out of LAX. Only downside is that you will have to claim your bags and recheck if layover is more than 12 hours.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by pitflyer

As you mentioned you have 24 hrs. to connect on international itineraries, which includes arriving the night before. You can take any connecting flight as long as it arrives within 24 hrs. of your next departure.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in search.

I've been trying to get from HKG to DYU. S7 is out because the transfer city OVB is in Siberia, so it is not available for AA award ticketing (although one can ticket it with Avios through BA). Am I missing something or is it impossible to get to Dushanbe, Tashkent, or for that matter major cities in any of the former SSR "stans" using AA miles?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by jiaotze
I've been trying to get from HKG to DYU. S7 is out because the transfer city OVB is in Siberia, so it is not available for AA award ticketing (although one can ticket it with Avios through BA). Am I missing something or is it impossible to get to Dushanbe, Tashkent, or for that matter major cities in any of the former SSR "stans" using AA miles?
HKG-PEK(KA)-OVM(S7)-x ?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by LukeO9
HKG-PEK(KA)-OVM(S7)-x ?
PEK-OVM on S7 isn't a redeemable award on AA.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA-Executive Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, IHG-Platinum, Marriott-PPE, Alaska- MVP75K
AA miles required to redeem award business ticket from US to Europe.

Hi experts,
I tried to use AA miles to redeem an award ticket from SFO to Europe. I searched on AA.com and able to book a trip in Business class (U) from SFO-LAX-JFK-BCN (all AA flights) or 57500 miles. I called AA EXP to add BCN-LHR-DUB two flights via BA business class (still U class). the agent quoted me 72500 miles. I questioned agent that it only requires 57000 miles for one-way business award ticket from the US to Europe and she replied that's what system shows and she couldn't do anything about it. I HUCA, and asked the 2nd agent why the required miles went up after adding two more segments. She said my itinerary went over max limits. I asked her to add BCN-MAD flight in U class via IB, she said the miles went up from 57500 to 72500 as well. I don't understand. Any help is highly appreciated!!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
AA now limits you to a maximum of four segments on an international award. That would explain why you can't add on LON-DUB to your award; not sure why you couldn't add on BCN-MAD or BCN-LON.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Royaloaks
Hi experts,
I tried to use AA miles to redeem an award ticket from SFO to Europe. I searched on AA.com and able to book a trip in Business class (U) from SFO-LAX-JFK-BCN (all AA flights) or 57500 miles. I called AA EXP to add BCN-LHR-DUB two flights via BA business class (still U class). the agent quoted me 72500 miles. I questioned agent that it only requires 57000 miles for one-way business award ticket from the US to Europe and she replied that's what system shows and she couldn't do anything about it. I HUCA, and asked the 2nd agent why the required miles went up after adding two more segments. She said my itinerary went over max limits. I asked her to add BCN-MAD flight in U class via IB, she said the miles went up from 57500 to 72500 as well. I don't understand. Any help is highly appreciated!!
The second time you called and tried to add BCN-MAD, how long was the connection/stop in BCN?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: AA-Executive Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, IHG-Platinum, Marriott-PPE, Alaska- MVP75K
Originally Posted by jridge
The second time you called and tried to add BCN-MAD, how long was the connection/stop in BCN?
only three hours.. AA arrives at 7:10am.. and I told AA exp agent to add IB1001 (BCN-MAD) that leaves around 10am.. so the 3 hours layover..
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Hi experts,
is SFO-LAX-JFK-BCN-LHR a published fare routing?
Was there award availability for BCN-LHR?
("You can only fly between two cities if the overwater carrier publishes a fare between those two cities. What this means is that if the carrier you are flying on the long haul segment wouldn’t sell you a paid ticket on that route, you cannot book it as an award"
https://milecards.com/1588428268/ame...routing-rules/)
Also, MPM can be an issue depending on the routing.

SFO-LAX-JFK-BCN-LHR ((as noted, this is 5 segments, so not possible)

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 29, 2018 at 8:45 am
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: OW Emerald
only three hours.. AA arrives at 7:10am.. and I told AA exp agent to add IB1001 (BCN-MAD) that leaves around 10am.. so the 3 hours layover..
My guess is that you've booked using the AA-only award chart (based on the fact you said "all AA flights") and now you are adding a non-AA flight to that itinerary. This means your award needs to be repriced as a "oneworld and partners" award, but the system is not doing this automatically and/or the agent is too lazy/inexperienced. Simply adding the segment (but leaving SFO-BCN as an AA-only award) will price as an additional intra-Europe award; repricing it as a partner award should give it to you for the 57.5K you expected.

I'd say call back and point this out. But the four segment limit as pointed out earlier still applies.

Just my guess.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
why isn't SFO-LAX-JFK-BCN-LHR considered 4 segments? SFO-LAX, LAX-JFK, JFK-BCN and BCN-LHR.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by geezersrule
why isn't SFO-LAX-JFK-BCN-LHR considered 4 segments? SFO-LAX, LAX-JFK, JFK-BCN and BCN-LHR.
It's definitely four segments. It may not be a published routing, which it must be to price as a single award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.