Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by zibawal
I was just wondering as some one said 16 flights in one year, so are u allowed to come back to your home town during one year or stay bon voyage for a year lol
Originally Posted by JDiver
Sorry, you lost me. There is no "16 flights a year" limitation for awards; I'm sure it would be listed in the Wikipost at the top of the page if it existed.
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Your "some one" is way out of date I think
AA used have what it called a "Oneworld Explorer AAward", which allowed up to 16 flights in one year on Oneworld carriers

But that got enhanced out of existence some years ago
Another possibility is that one ticket has validity of 1 year, and is also limited to 16 coupons (=basically, flights). However, there is no limit on how many tickets one can purchase.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:03 am

Can oneworld and non-oneworld partners be combined on the same award? For example AUH-NRT (on Etihad) then NRT-KIX (on JL)?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mster
Can oneworld and non-oneworld partners be combined on the same award? For example AUH-NRT (on Etihad) then NRT-KIX (on JL)?
Does either EY or JL offer a fare that allows that combination of airlines? If yes, then there should be no issue
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by mster
Yes.
But not all combinations are possible.
And some of the combinations that are stated to not be possible, may perhaps become possible if you HUACA.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Yes.
But not all combinations are possible.
And some of the combinations that are stated to not be possible, may perhaps become possible if you HUACA.
The AUH-NRT (on Etihad) then NRT-KIX (on JL) *can* be constructed as one ticket *but* it will still price out as two separate awards (22,500+7,500=30,000)
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is LAS-LAX-HKG-KUL-BKK a valid routing?

I'd prefer to fly HKG-BKK direct but there's no award availability within 24 hours of the LAX-HKG flight arrival. Can I book this with the KUL layover and then later change for no fee if an award seat on a Cathay Pacific direct flight to BKK becomes available a few days before departure?

Or is the HKG-KUL-BKK part just invalid because it's indirect?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Is LAS-LAX-HKG-KUL-BKK a valid routing?

I'd prefer to fly HKG-BKK direct but there's no award availability within 24 hours of the LAX-HKG flight arrival. Can I book this with the KUL layover and then later change for no fee if an award seat on a Cathay Pacific direct flight to BKK becomes available a few days before departure?

Or is the HKG-KUL-BKK part just invalid because it's indirect?
Looking at CX, it seems that LAS-BKK is constructed of LAS-LAX and LAX-BKK which is likely to make it fail ; LAX-BKK would not permit the routing

I don't think that you will get the journey with travel on CX ; AA has a mileage based fare which may potentially permit it and might be worth trying if the CX journey is not permitted as a single award

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 11, 2017 at 8:33 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:29 pm

I’m suddenly seeing zero coach award tickets, on any day, on the TN route LAX-CDG and vice versa. This is unusual- is it likely a momentary issue?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: A3 Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle, AY plat
Are transfers in a 3th region (when allowed) limited to 1 , or can one make multiple transfers in the 3th region?

Route would be e.g. DOH-BKK-HKG-NRT
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by fbruno
Are transfers in a 3th region (when allowed) limited to 1 , or can one make multiple transfers in the 3th region?

Route would be e.g. DOH-BKK-HKG-NRT
You can have multiple connections in the 3rd region (as long as the fare rules permit).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:03 am

denied vol downgrade due to "secret" rule

I had an all-J award booking with AA domestic segments leading to international partner segments. A Y award opened up on a domestic flight that had better timings, so I called AA and changed it as a voluntary downgrade on one segment. No miles were to be reinstated.

So the next day I get a call from AA saying the change was a mistake, and the downgrade would cost $150. The explanation involved married segments, etc. and made no sense to me. I tried explaining that I was not changing the award level, just taking a voluntary downgrade on one segment. No dice. They charged it back to the original J booking on the less convenient flight.

I asked for the text of the rule that applied here, and was told "We do not share the rules with passengers".

I do realize that reason does not apply here, but I am bemused that AA would have a secret rule that does not benefit either AA or the passenger. I am aware that award downgrades require a fee. In this case I was not downgrading the award itself, just one segment (leaving the award level unchanged). If anyone can explain this rule in comprehensible language, I'd be very grateful.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not a secret rule. AA simply chose to apply the fare rules for the new ticket. You can find those with your original booking email.

Without knowing the exact specifics, it appears that you were book A-B with a connection at C, but for some reason the new flights had a different fare basis and thus different fare rules.

If you provide the routing and the full fare basis for each segment, someone here may be able to give you the pinpoint provision, but it's unlikely to help.

Better to call back and if you get the same answer, ask to speak with a supervisor and seek a waiver of the change fee. As a general matter, arguing with an agent is unhelpful unless you 100% know that the agent is wrong because once an agent enters remarks in the PNR notes on your conversation, it is much harder to obtain a waiver. If you simply thank the agent for the information and hang up, those chances drop.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:56 am

Of course the new flight had a different fare basis. It went from J to Y, i.e. from U to T (one segment).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Did you change from a non-stop to a 1-stop or vice versa on the domestic leg? Either way, I do think it's tacky for AA to chase the OP down for the $150 after the fact...especially since they took a downgrade from J to Y. If someone booked an IND-ORD and the next day added an ORD-NRT segment and the agent forgot to collect the extra miles that's one thing and I'd expect a call from AA at some point. But if I was AA and had any amount of common sense I think i'd just let this one be.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1
It's not a secret rule. AA simply chose to apply the fare rules for the new ticket. You can find those with your original booking email.
Haha, that's funny. Where do you find the rules in your confirmation e-mail?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.