Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:39 pm

Can I upgrade a miles partner award leg without cost?

I'm a new forum member looking to book an AA rewards flight on Cathay Pacific Business class from LAX to DPS Bali this next summer. It would be a one way flight for 70k miles. Currently the LAX to HKG leg is available in business but the final 5 hour leg HKG to DPS is only available in coach. I believe that AA allows free award ticket changes so long that origin and destination locations stay the same. If award seat availability in business is opened up by Cathay in the future will I be able to snag the seats without cost since I've already booked the full business saver award?

Also, is there a way to automate any monitoring for that availability if I'm able to do that?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Yes, you'll be able to change the second flight to J without a fee or additional miles if award space opens up. The only way to automate monitoring is through Award Nexus (paid service).
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A slight loosening of the rules: On awards to the Indian subcontinent where transpacific routing on AA or CX via HKG is allowed, in addition to CX (Cathay Pacific), 9W (Jet Airways) and UL (Sri Lankan) are all allowed now.

Link to oneworld and partner airlines award chart. The

Updated in the Wikipost.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by JonNYC
2 types, not 3 (common misconception here as some members insist it's 3-- it isn't) and I agree that this isn't an award-type change. its' Oneworld/other airline award -> Oneworld/other airline award (no change), was never an all AA award.
So does this mean that it would be possible to change (for example) from a HKG-LAX-BOS itinerary (HKG-LAX on CX) to HKG-BOS without penalty?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dtremit
So does this mean that it would be possible to change (for example) from a HKG-LAX-BOS itinerary (HKG-LAX on CX) to HKG-BOS without penalty?
Yep
Old Nov 20, 2016, 4:45 am

change jfk-auh-bom to jfk-auh-del-bom

I have a predevaluation award ticket in F, CLT-LGA/JFK-AUH-BOM. Spending the night (23 hours) in NYC and have a 7 hour layover in AUH where we have friends.

Would like to add a segment to the ticket to change the flight to JFK-AUH-DEL-BOM.

I checked MPM and that seemed fine. Any other issues I might run into trying to reticket (other than finding availability?)
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by jchock1
I have a predevaluation award ticket in F, CLT-LGA/JFK-AUH-BOM. Spending the night (23 hours) in NYC and have a 7 hour layover in AUH where we have friends.

Would like to add a segment to the ticket to change the flight to JFK-AUH-DEL-BOM.

I checked MPM and that seemed fine. Any other issues I might run into trying to reticket (other than finding availability?)
Does EY have routing rules for JFK-BOM fares? If so, you need to be sure it meets those AND the MPM. If not, I think you're fine.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
In regards to this

Europe to/from South Pacific can connect in Singapore or Bangkok only. Note: this may have been updated to include Bangkok, Doha, Hong Kong, Osaka, Singapore or Tokyo.
Could I do LHR-DOH-AKL-PPT with the flights being on QR and TN
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by onlysuites
In regards to this

You can ask, but would not hold too much hope. QR does not have a fare to PPT which allows travel on TN between AKL and PPT. It might get allowed, but based on the fare rules, it is not a valid route
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You can ask, but would not hold too much hope. QR does not have a fare to PPT which allows travel on TN between AKL and PPT. It might get allowed, but based on the fare rules, it is not a valid route
As always thanks Dave ^

Kind of stuck for choice. Can you suggest any other routes for this journey?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In regards to this

I have flown ZAG-DOH-SYD.

You should call AA to find out.

Reason being, on a routing DXB-DOH-BKK-HKG, I was told by Dave that it was not in any of QR fare rule and for sure no way I could do DOH-BKK-HKG with CX on the BKK-HKG leg.

Not only AA system readily accepted that routing, the itinerary has gone thru date change just recently and is again reticketed without any issue. Got the new tickets within hours of requesting the date change.

So the ultimate decision is in the hands of AA rate desk. You should at least call first before immediately rule it out because someone here says so.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I have flown ZAG-DOH-SYD.

Not only AA system readily accepted that routing, the itinerary has gone thru date change just recently and is again reticketed without any issue. Got the new tickets within hours of requesting the date change.
That would be be expected to be allowed since the routing rules for ZAG-SYD on QR specifies either of

ZAG-DOH-SYD or
ZAG-DOH-ADL(JQ/VA/QF/QR)SYD

For LHR-PPT, QR does have a fare listed, however it specifies that travel from AKL-PPT needs to be on NZ. Obviously NZ is not permitted for an AA award, so the desired routing does not comply with QR's rules

Generally, AA awards have to comply with the governing carrier's rules, but sometimes this type of difference of carrier can slide through, so worth asking - just be prepared that may well be quoted as 2 awards

As always thanks Dave ^

Kind of stuck for choice. Can you suggest any other routes for this journey?
I cannot think of any obvious routing to PPT from LHR - I would try this routing, but maybe just have to buy AKL-PPT on its own
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
That would be be expected to be allowed since the routing rules for ZAG-SYD on QR specifies either of

ZAG-DOH-SYD or
ZAG-DOH-ADL(JQ/VA/QF/QR)SYD

For LHR-PPT, QR does have a fare listed, however it specifies that travel from AKL-PPT needs to be on NZ. Obviously NZ is not permitted for an AA award, so the desired routing does not comply with QR's rules

Generally, AA awards have to comply with the governing carrier's rules, but sometimes this type of difference of carrier can slide through, so worth asking - just be prepared that may well be quoted as 2 awards

I cannot think of any obvious routing to PPT from LHR - I would try this routing, but maybe just have to buy AKL-PPT on its own
Why not LHR-CDG-LAX-PPT (on TN) - with LHR-CDG on BA - not sure if it's a valid routing but certainly CDG-LAX-PPT is.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
What about LON - TYO - PPT, with LON-TYO on JL/BA and TYO-PPT on TN?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by pschafer
Why not LHR-CDG-LAX-PPT (on TN) - with LHR-CDG on BA - not sure if it's a valid routing but certainly CDG-LAX-PPT is.
Europe to South Pacific does not allow travel via North America, so CDG-LAX-PPT is not a valid award routing ( without using 2 awards )

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
What about LON - TYO - PPT, with LON-TYO on JL/BA and TYO-PPT on TN?
Neither BA nor JL have fares for LON-PPT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.