Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It doesn't matter what the UL site markets

The UL fare does not allow travel on QR between ZRH and DOH other than using the UL codeshare

It is not possible to use the UL codeshare for the award travel

to travel on QR via DOH will have QR as the governing carrier
QR does not permit that routing

Why don't you contact AA, make the booking and see what award cost it quotes

I would expect it to require 2 awards, but sometimes AA allows awards that seem to be out of compliance
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If there is award availability on all of the flights, then why not just give AA a call and see if they can book it as one award? Regardless of all of our speculation here, AA's computers will have the final say.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:01 pm

Thanks everyone.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If there is award availability on all of the flights, then why not just give AA a call and see if they can book it as one award? Regardless of all of our speculation here, AA's computers will have the final say.
That would be my advice too. I have booked a few "not valid" routing on QR/EY and it went through. It's not complicated routing but say for example AUH-SYD, EY routing needs you to route on VA for domestic AU flights (since VA is EY's partner but not AA), but you wouldn't have any problem booking AUH-MEL-SYD (with MEL-SYD on QF instead of VA even though EY doesn't allow QF on that route).
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
That would be my advice too. I have booked a few "not valid" routing on QR/EY and it went through. It's not complicated routing but say for example AUH-SYD, EY routing needs you to route on VA for domestic AU flights (since VA is EY's partner but not AA), but you wouldn't have any problem booking AUH-MEL-SYD (with MEL-SYD on QF instead of VA even though EY doesn't allow QF on that route).
EY does allow QF on that route, just not on cheap fares.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AK MVP Gold, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hyatt Gold, BW Gold, Avis Preferred, NationalCar Emerald
LHR - EBB and Awards

Trying to book LHR - EBB in C with Miles. Agent is telling me that the only route is LHR - DOH - EBB. No problem booking that.

But agent says that each leg must be booked as a separate award as I am using QR and her system says that it can only be booked using BA. Never heard that before and as I point out, BA does not fly to EBB, so it is impossible.

Agent agrees that it makes no sense and understands by confusion, but can not find a work around.

Anyone else have similar issue and suggestions on how to fix?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Unfortunately for a Europe to Africa award, you cannot transit in a 3rd region (DOH is in Middle East). So to book that you'll need 2 awards, Europe-ME and ME-Africa.

This is one of those cases where it's just not possible to get between 2 cities using one award.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by planet_erg
Trying to book LHR - EBB in C with Miles. Agent is telling me that the only route is LHR - DOH - EBB. No problem booking that.

But agent says that each leg must be booked as a separate award as I am using QR and her system says that it can only be booked using BA. Never heard that before and as I point out, BA does not fly to EBB, so it is impossible.

Agent agrees that it makes no sense and understands by confusion, but can not find a work around.

Anyone else have similar issue and suggestions on how to fix?
Please read the Wikipost. It might be your principal carrier of choice does not offer a through, unconstructed fare LHR-EBB?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AK MVP Gold, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hyatt Gold, BW Gold, Avis Preferred, NationalCar Emerald
Please move post back

Not sure why you moved this post, but please move it back. My principal carrier offers the route, so does BA and QR. According to agent the reason is because one leg is on BA (LHR-DOH) and rest is on QR (DOH-EBB-DOH-LHR).

That makes no sense.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Please read the Wikipost. It might be your principal carrier of choice does not offer a through, unconstructed fare LHR-EBB?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Not sure why you moved this post, but please move it back. My principal carrier offers the route, so does BA and QR. According to agent the reason is because one leg is on BA (LHR-DOH) and rest is on QR (DOH-EBB-DOH-LHR).
Agent is correct; BA does not have a published fare LHR-EBB, so, it cannot be booked with BA flying the LHR-DOH portion, for the reason JDiver points out.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:16 pm

That makes no sense.
As mentioned above, AA's routing rules require that the journey from Europe to Africa not go through any other region

Since Doha is in the Middle East region, it is not permitted as a single award

The airline routing rules have to permit the journey and AA's rules have to permit it

It would also seem that the routing rules for QR will require the LHR-DIH to be on QR

It looks like EBB may be a difficult one to do as a single award

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 18, 2016 at 12:24 pm
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
As mentioned above, AA's routing rules require that the journey from Europe to Africa not go through any other region

Since Doha is in the Middle East region, it is not permitted as a single award

The airline routing rules have to permit the journey and AA's rules have to permit it

It looks like EBB may be a difficult one to do as a single award
Then why is the Agent Supervisor telling me if I book it all on QR then it will be one award????
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:23 pm
Suspended

duplicate
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:26 pm

Then why is the Agent Supervisor telling me if I book it all on QR then it will be one award????
The agent is incorrect about this. It should still be 2 awards even if QR-QR. AA requires routing directly from origin region to destination region , except with specific exceptions ( which are listed in the wikipost in this thread )

from the wikipost

Originally Posted by wikipost
Travel Via a Third Region

Travel via a third region is not allowed (note the exception table below).

EXCEPTION TABLE:
To/From Via
•North America to/from Africa can connect in Europe or in DOH if connecting QR-QR
•North America to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe
•North America to/from Asia 2 can connect in Asia 1

•Central/South America to/from Africa can connect in Europe
•Central/South America to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe
•Central/South America to/from South Pacific can connect in South America 2

•South America 2 to/from Africa can connect in DOH if connecting QR-QR
•South America 2 to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe

•Europe to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2 or DOH if connecting QR-QR
•Europe to/from Asia 2 can connect in DOH if connecting QR-QR
•Europe to/from South Pacific can connect in Singapore or Bangkok only. Note: this may have been updated to include Bangkok, Doha, Hong Kong, Osaka, Singapore or Tokyo.

•Africa to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2 or in DOH if connecting QR-QR
•Africa to/from Asia 2 can connect in DOH if connecting QR-QR

•Indian Sub Continent/Middle East to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2
•Indian Sub Continent/Middle East to/from South Pacific can connect in Asia 2

•Asia 1 to/from South Pacific can connect in Asia 2
There is always a chance that an award that fails to comply with the region routing rules will get issued, but would be very surprised

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 18, 2016 at 12:32 pm
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Give it a shot! See what result is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.