Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:49 pm

Hi,

I'm researching our trip in June 2017, and I'm seeing award space for my familiy but I don't know if this a valid routing for AAdvantage Australia-Europe awards: ADL-HKG (Cathay), HKG-DOH(Qatar), HKG-BUD (Qatar).

Both connections are on the exception list, but I think this is 4 regions.

Greg
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I assume you mean DOH-BUD rather than HKG-BUD ?

It is not a valid routing. You can connect in Asia or with QR in Doha, not both

Also, even if the routing was permitted, it is unlikely that CX or QR have a fare that would allow that routing
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:54 pm

Yeah, I mean DOH-BUD. I was suspicious, thanks for confirming that it wouldn't work. It's damn hard to get 4 people from Australia/New Zealand to BUD in J with AA miles. Qatar only has sporadic availability, and mostly from PER. Cathay only has availability to FRA (next July)

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I assume you mean DOH-BUD rather than HKG-BUD ?

It is not a valid routing. You can connect in Asia or with QR in Doha, not both

Also, even if the routing was permitted, it is unlikely that CX or QR have a fare that would allow that routing
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by balinvadasz
Yeah, I mean DOH-BUD. I was suspicious, thanks for confirming that it wouldn't work. It's damn hard to get 4 people from Australia/New Zealand to BUD in J with AA miles. Qatar only has sporadic availability, and mostly from PER. Cathay only has availability to FRA (next July)
You may want to consider other less popular East European airports that QR flies.

We flew in May this itinerary - ZAG-DOH-SYD. Were surprised to find out QR actually has an office in Zagreb town. There were a lot of availability on this route when we booked ours.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I would keep AY in mind as well, maybe something like ADL-SYD/PER/MEL/BNE-SIN/BKK/HKG/NRT-HEL-BUD. Also, if possible, I might consider splitting up 2-2 or something.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You may be able to do ADL-PER-DOH-BUD as a single award
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You may be able to do ADL-PER-DOH-BUD as a single award
Thanks for the suggestion Dave, I think this is what we're going to do. I've looked at splitting up, but don't see many options for 2 people either. There's space for 1, or 3-4.

Does Qatar have a habit of opening up space as the departure comes closer?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:15 am

Routing

Hi All,

I am planning to redeem AA miles on Etihad Airways, I would like to know if this is a valid routing. Thanks.

EY 203 BOM to AUH
EY 103 AUH to JFK
AA 478 JFK to CLT
AA 564 CLT to MSP
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by INDFlyer
I am planning to redeem AA miles on Etihad Airways, I would like to know if this is a valid routing. Thanks.

EY 203 BOM to AUH
EY 103 AUH to JFK
AA 478 JFK to CLT
AA 564 CLT to MSP
As general routing rules are specific to the award type and not the airline being flown, I've shifted this post to the award type you're looking to redeem.

~Moderator
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by INDFlyer
Hi All,

EY 203 BOM to AUH
EY 103 AUH to JFK
AA 478 JFK to CLT
AA 564 CLT to MSP
As long as you can find award seating, that would be both acceptable and pretty standard for an award including AA and EY.

Please read the Wikipost at the top of this page; also check the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2015-a.html thread ABC Wikipost.

In the future, we'd recommend searching for existing threads on a particular topic (Etihad awards) prior to starting new ones, as well as following the Rules about writing specific and descriptive thread titles. Link to Rules.

/Moderator
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:55 am

Hi was hoping someone could help me out here.

I have a partner award flight departing on Aug 24 on JAL business on hold.
The routing is:
BOS-NRT 1:30 pm departure
NRT-PUS

I called to add a flight from ATL up to Boston leaving on the 23.
Verified there was availability on flights that would have me arrive in Boston at 2 pm. (less than 24 hours until JAL flight the next day)

The agent told me I could not do this because you "can't have a stopover in the same region" ummm it's not a stopover if it's under 24 hours I think.

Anyone know if what I'm trying to do is possible under award routing rules? My reading of them in this sticky leads me to say yes so I should call back.

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FIGWSJ11
Hi was hoping someone could help me out here.

I have a partner award flight departing on Aug 24 on JAL business on hold.
The routing is:
BOS-NRT 1:30 pm departure
NRT-PUS

I called to add a flight from ATL up to Boston leaving on the 23.
Verified there was availability on flights that would have me arrive in Boston at 2 pm. (less than 24 hours until JAL flight the next day)

The agent told me I could not do this because you "can't have a stopover in the same region" ummm it's not a stopover if it's under 24 hours I think.

Anyone know if what I'm trying to do is possible under award routing rules? My reading of them in this sticky leads me to say yes so I should call back.

Thanks!
I'd be highly inclined to assume that JL does not publish a thru-fare for ATL-PUS, which they need to for it to be a single award.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:05 am

I've flown this route at least 12 times ATL-PUS, usually through ORD, sometimes JFK, sometimes LAX. So that's not the reason.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'd be highly inclined to assume that JL does not publish a thru-fare for ATL-PUS, which they need to for it to be a single award.
This appears to be true.

That being said, they do publish ATL-SEL; OP might be better served by an ATL-BOS-NRT-ICN flight than a BOS-NRT-PUS one.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by FIGWSJ11
I've flown this route at least 12 times ATL-PUS, usually through ORD, sometimes JFK, sometimes LAX. So that's not the reason.
With the TPAC segment on JL, though?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.