Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Schedule change permits stopover >24 hrs?

JAL changed their HND-SFO schedule to depart 4.5 hours early, making it impossible for me to make my connection.

I will ask AA to start my DLC-NRT flight a day early, forcing a >24 hour connection. Assuming this succeeds, should I be worried the system will attempt to "auto correct" my itinerary, since the stopover will be > 24 hours?

(DLC-NRT) 13:00 - 16:55
(HND-SFO) 19:45 - 12:05

Originally Posted by alien
We have an award MSN-ORD-HKG-BKK. The original MSN-ORD had a connection of 23:25 enabling our routine of pre CX F festivities in ORD . Yesterday I received a flight change resulting in a connection of 24:36. Also, the aircraft changed from a ERJ to a CRJ with F. I called and confirmed a change from T to Z on that flight. I received the email receipt with new ticket numbers a few hours later.
I am wondering if I should proactively use an abundance of caution (what with the CX F's) and have the MSN-ORD flight moved to the next later flight which would make the connection under the 24 hours.
I'm thinking that, even with it being ticketed and even if I called in to the EXP desk who said it's OK, I'm not wanting to be bitten in the a$$ out of the blue down the road.

Thoughts?

ETA: I did just call (& HUACA) and talked to an experienced EXP agent. She did spend some time reviewing the itinerary's history and said that, because the schedule change was made by the computer with the 24+ hour connection, all would be fine and there would be no problems...
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by eethan
JAL changed their HND-SFO schedule to depart 4.5 hours early, making it impossible for me to make my connection.

I will ask AA to start my DLC-NRT flight a day early, forcing a >24 hour connection. Assuming this succeeds, should I be worried the system will attempt to "auto correct" my itinerary, since the stopover will be > 24 hours?

(DLC-NRT) 13:00 - 16:55
(HND-SFO) 19:45 - 12:05
It is exceedingly unlikely that an AA CSR will send to ticketing a >24 international award reservation.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I managed this once when a schedule change created a >24 hour layover in Hong Kong. I then changed the reservation to extend the layover further. AA ticketed it, though I would imagine they shouldn't have.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
I'm trying to get more of my family to Australia for Christmas from MIA.

I know AA is strict with their routing but MIA-SCL-SYD is only 1,500 more miles than MIA-DFW-SYD.

Does anyone know if CX or another OW carrier might allow this as a single award?

Last edited by tangel; Jul 14, 2016 at 9:02 pm
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by tangel

I know AA is strict with their routing but MIA-SCL-SYD is only 1,500 more miles than MIA-DFW-SYD.

Does anyone know if CX or another OW carrier might allow this as a single award?
No.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Not allowed to transit that 3rd region on a single award by AAdv rules, so never gets to the routing restrictions of the individual carriers for AAdv award construction.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:16 pm

I know AA won't allow it.

The closest I've found is AsiaMiles distance based RTW. It looks like I can do MIA-SCL-SYD-HKG-ORD-MIA for 160K miles in J. Seems pretty good to me.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know AA won't allow it.

The closest I've found is AsiaMiles distance based RTW. It looks like I can do MIA-SCL-SYD-HKG-ORD-MIA for 160K miles in J. Seems pretty good to me.
Using AA miles you would have 2 awards and good luck in finding SCL-SYD on LA.

Have you done any monitoring on the LA availability SCL-SYD or SCL-AKL yet? There is presumably a QF flight but same difficulty if not more.

SYD-HKG also is not easy to get, surprisingly, despite CX flies from Australia from 6 airports. Tried this earlier this year for a June return and eventually gave up to just use UA miles for SYD-BKK-HKG at 40K on TG F that was available almost everyday. J definitely available everyday. Very sporadic availability from CX or QF. UA F on this route also is cheaper than AA's J price too and of course everyone has high mark on TG's F ground service at BKK (we like the buggy pick up but not that impressed by the F lounge which we had used multiple times the past few years.)
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:37 am

Good info. Thank you.

I'm lucky enough to find plenty of space on the SCL-SYD flight. MIA-SCL is somewhat scarce (though I found space) and SYD-HKG or any OW hub is proving the bigger challenge.

Has anyone had experience booking with asia miles? I'm going to try submitting their web form today rather than calling.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good info. Thank you.

I'm lucky enough to find plenty of space on the SCL-SYD flight. MIA-SCL is somewhat scarce (though I found space) and SYD-HKG or any OW hub is proving the bigger challenge.

Has anyone had experience booking with asia miles? I'm going to try submitting their web form today rather than calling.
MIA-SCL is tough on LA which has much better seat than the crumby angled AA seat. LA tends to release this in "married segment" i.e. if you have another domestic Chile segment tagged on, then MIA-SCL-XXX showed up. I tried to put a MIA-SCL-AKL or SYD segment in a RTW itinerary before devaluation for any date in Dec 2016 to no avail, plus DH could not care less for a trip to South America. Eventually I gave up and got a US/ Middle East / Asia / US itinerary instead.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
I read somewhere that if a OW airline offers an award seat, any other OW airline is able to offer that seat through its own award program.
Is that a rule, unwritten rule, or someone's opinion?
I ask because BA has an MH flight available that AA doesn't. Is this possible?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by LukeO9
I read somewhere that if a OW airline offers an award seat, any other OW airline is able to offer that seat through its own award program.
Not only is it possible but it's entirely the practice.

In my fairly extensive experience with this, even holding top tier status with Qantas and AA, different award availability is seen for different carriers all the time. Cathay is the most common in my experience. American seems to offer better availability than QF does. Also in my experience CX permits through bookings (I don't think I've used the right terminology there but basically I mean A-transit HKG-B) when booking through AA but not when booking through QF, the latter requiring a stopover (A-stop HKG-B) and thus two awards.

For several months I've been eyeing off a AUH-TXL on AB for several months. Searching through QF I can see availability on both of the day's flights in both classes. All the while AA has no availability in either class on either flight.

Very frustrating.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LukeO9
It is the policy, if BA has a partner award seat, AA should have the same access to that award seat. But, technology-related factors cause this not to be the case on an exceedingly regular basis, unfortunately.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by JonNYC
It is the policy, if BA has a partner award seat, AA should have the same access to that award seat. But, technology-related factors cause this not to be the case on an exceedingly regular basis, unfortunately.
Happens a lot with different systems being updated. Amadeus and sabre.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Along those lines, yesterday I had to bypass the Australian AA call center, that showed unavailability, and get an AAgent in the US to change one of my QF flights on an AAward booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.