Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not true. I think what you might have meant is if it's a published fare that uses routing -rather- than MPM then no need to calculate the MPM.
yes... that's what I meant. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by curiousGal
Thank you for the suggestions. I called back and reserved 1 passenger on business class throughout and the other in coach for the 2nd leg. I requested for courtesy hold and haven't confirmed the tickets yet.

The passengers here are my parents. It is supposed to be a surprise for them. I already booked J in EY for Sep departure. But plans changed, and the new date is in Oct. Now it looks like I have to lose EY J tickets for both in Sep and update it with QR tickets; J for one and Y for the other.

I seriously hope if seats become available in next 4 months. Is there a waiting list option so that passengers get upgraded to J as soon as there is availability in J? I heard United has this option. Thoughts?
More than one person has found "courtesy holds" on airlines other than AA/US sometimes just disappear (AA codeshares). I would book it and get it ticketed if that's the flights you want.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
help needed for jfk-edi glad-jfk

Originally Posted by jackal
As this question is specific to the AA program, I'll go ahead and move this over to the AA forum where the experts can further assist.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
I am able to get to edi in business class directly with no stops. However, because i do not have enough miles, i was thinking about purchasing a oneway ticket from gla-jfk. This ticket does not seem to be able to be purchased with restrictions and is much more expensive than a roundtrip ticket would be. I checked economy with restrictions but only refundable options appear. Is there a way to get a oneway ticket in economy with restrictions or at a reasonable price?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
More than one person has found "courtesy holds" on airlines other than AA/US sometimes just disappear (AA codeshares). I would book it and get it ticketed if that's the flights you want.
Ha! I heard something new today. There is a change fee for changing the carriers on AA reward flight (?). The AA agent said I would incur $175 ($150 for 1st person and $50 for 2nd) if I change the oneworld carrier from Etihad to Qatar. Is this true?

The agent also canceled my courtesy hold reservation because duplicate hold is not allowed while an existing reservation is already in place.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: AA Plat /KE mc/OZ Diamond /Marriott gold/ SPG gold
ICN to JFK (via AUH) Award travel: AA counts this as two separate flights?

Hey I just wanted to ask experienced AA flyers whether it is appropriate for AA to consider this flight as two separate segments requiring two mileage charges:

I wanted to fly ICN to JFK via AUH on Etihad, and when i called the AA customer service, they told me it will cost 135k (despite less than 24 hours in the AUH). Is this appropriate? Or something I should escalate up for clarification?

thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: AS 100K
Yep. If traveling North America to Asia 1 or 2, you must transit via the Pacific or pay two awards.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It will require 2 awards. Asia 1/2 to North America awards can only route via the Pacific (not the ME/India or Europe).
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
AA has added some exceptions to these routing rules for QR flights transiting DOH, so if you want to travel on one award and save some miles, you need to look for availability on QR.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: AA Plat /KE mc/OZ Diamond /Marriott gold/ SPG gold
thanks guys! appreciate it.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by curiousGal
Ha! I heard something new today. There is a change fee for changing the carriers on AA reward flight (?). The AA agent said I would incur $175 ($150 for 1st person and $50 for 2nd) if I change the oneworld carrier from Etihad to Qatar. Is this true?

The agent also canceled my courtesy hold reservation because duplicate hold is not allowed while an existing reservation is already in place.
You should probably read the thread linked to immediately below. This is where this question belonged, and where it will probably be merged to retain the important information in one thread and to avoid information fragmentation. /Moderator

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2014-a.html
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sunrider101
Hey I just wanted to ask experienced AA flyers whether it is appropriate for AA to consider this flight as two separate segments requiring two mileage charges:

I wanted to fly ICN to JFK via AUH on Etihad, and when i called the AA customer service, they told me it will cost 135k (despite less than 24 hours in the AUH). Is this appropriate? Or something I should escalate up for clarification?
As stated, 2 awards if not flowing via the Pacific.

Originally Posted by bhomburg
AA has added some exceptions to these routing rules for QR flights transiting DOH, so if you want to travel on one award and save some miles, you need to look for availability on QR.
True, but N.America to Asia (what's being asked about in this instance) isn't one of them.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:36 pm

Is there a change fee for changing the carriers (from Etihad to Qatar) on AA award flight (?). The AA agent said I would incur $175 ($150 for 1st person and $50 for 2nd) if I change the oneworld carrier from Etihad to Qatar. Is this true?

Details:
- AA award flight from ORD-HYD.
- Already made award flight for 2 passengers in EY for Sep departure. Need to change it to Oct. So far no availability left in EY in Oct.
- Prefer CX, EY, QR in either F or J for 2 passengers.
- F class is not operated on these routes except for CX.
- Found availability on QR for Oct dep, but DOH-HYD segment is in Y, while ORD-DOH is in J.

Questions:
- Should I lose EY booking for Sep departure and book QR for Oct?
- Or should I forget abt QR and hope EY seats will open for Oct in future?
- From what I read from wiki, it sounds like there is a fee. Is there any way around it?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:00 pm

If you're changing airlines, AA charges a fee:

"For awards involving travel on other airlines, origin or destination changes or changes to the airline(s) in the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type"

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...false&from=Nav

If you do book QR flights, if J opens up later, AA should change it without a fee.

Oh, and CX via HKG ain't gonna happen AA requires transatlantic to HYD (but you can fly YVR-JFK on CX then on to HYD)

Last edited by Potreroflyr; Jun 15, 2015 at 3:03 pm Reason: add info
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you need to change it to October , then book what is available now in economy and business and try and change it later. It would not make sense to keep the september dates and hold off for businesd the whole way since could just end up with nothing

If you change to QR and then better availability opens up on QR , then there is no fee to change classes
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
If you're changing airlines, AA charges a fee:

"For awards involving travel on other airlines, origin or destination changes or changes to the airline(s) in the itinerary will incur a change fee of $150, even when retaining the same award type"

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...false&from=Nav

If you do book QR flights, if J opens up later, AA should change it without a fee.

Oh, and CX via HKG ain't gonna happen AA requires transatlantic to HYD (but you can fly YVR-JFK on CX then on to HYD)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you need to change it to October , then book what is available now in economy and business and try and change it later. It would not make sense to keep the september dates and hold off for businesd the whole way since could just end up with nothing

If you change to QR and then better availability opens up on QR , then there is no fee to change classes
Thank you for getting back. Now I understand and looks like there is no way around than to pay the $150 fee per person. This reservation is for 2 passengers traveling together. Here's what I have done so far:
- I saw J class for one passenger for both ORD-DOH and DOH-HYD segments. Immediately blocked it and a new record locator created.
- I saw J for 2nd passenger for only ORD-DOH; Y class from DOH-HYD. I held this reservation too. AA agent noted down 'voluntary downgrade' for 2nd segment. Passengers may not mind parting for the 2nd segment.
- As I mentioned before, I already have EY in J for both of them in Sep.

What I plan to do:
- As suggested, I plan to book QR. But the way I reserved the tickets, 2 rec locators are now created for 2 passengers. they are not under one rec locator.
- If the seats open for Oct for EY, then swell! no charge. I can also request for chauffeur service with EY. In that case, I need to cancel QR tickets then. This will incur $150 + $150 in fees, since both passengers have 2 different rec locators.
Did I get this right?

I am prepared to pay $175 for both travelers. But I plan to wait until September and cancel EY, if EY doesn't have seats in Oct. Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.