Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Put the first segment on a free, five-day hold. Then, call back during the hold period to add the second segment. Since you won't be re-depositing any miles, there will be no fee for this.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Put the first segment on a free, five-day hold. Then, call back during the hold period to add the second segment. Since you won't be re-depositing any miles, there will be no fee for this.
Perfect, thank you. Wasn't sure if adding a segment to a held award would require redepositing and potentially losing the first segment into the ether. And being 330 days out from Golden Week in Japan right now is making it hard to also gauge demand.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by gutenmorgan
Originally Posted by guv1976

Perfect, thank you. Wasn't sure if adding a segment to a held award would require redepositing and potentially losing the first segment into the ether. And being 330 days out from Golden Week in Japan right now is making it hard to also gauge demand.
There's nothing to re-deposit. Miles are not deducted from your account when you place an award flight on hold. In fact, it's even possible to place an award flight on hold before you have sufficient miles in your account to actually purchase the award flight.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:41 am

Thanks again. Sorry, just to be more clear, I meant redepositing the award seats back into the pool, not redepositing the miles used to purchase back into my account. Wasn't sure if revising a hold to add a second segment meant a possible charge + a possible process whereby the first segment seats are released and then maybe or maybe not available to immediately re-add. Glad to hear that neither situation is the case.

^
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA platinum, Air France Platinum,, Bonvoy titanium, AC 50k
AA website not showing all awards?

The new awards charts seem to have forgotten about Africa and South Pacific. On top of making it very hard to find a list of award partners, the new AAdvantage section makes finding things more and more difficult. The new phone system for EXPs is also p***ing me off!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think you may not be looking correctly, but we've got that fixed. But we'll merge your query into the proper thread, so you can read the wiki and use links there. /Moderator

For example, I see both Africa and South Pacific listed on aa.com's oneworld and other airline award chart page, here.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA platinum, Air France Platinum,, Bonvoy titanium, AC 50k
OK, I see the issue. If you go to "award travel" you get different options from "redeem miles."
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sAAul
OK, I see the issue. If you go to "award travel" you get different options from "redeem miles."
OK, gotcha . But the good stuff has been documented in the wiki by some members, and I think that keeps it easier, with all the aa.com changes.

Safe travels.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Checked the wiki at the top and didn't see my issue, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that you can change AA awards for no fee as long as dates and origin/destination remain the same right?

In 8 months I have a flight from ELP to BNE. I am happy with the outbound. ELP-LAX-SYD-BNE, but on the way back I have a redeye BNE-HNL on Hawaiian, then a redeye HNL-DFW on AA.

I booked it because hey its worth it to experience Qantas first on an A380, but I was wondering if I saw a Qantas flight from BNE-LAX open up on that date can I change my award to that instead for no fee?

I could have sworn I heard that was possible, unless Doug Parker got rid of that rule.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Is there a limit to the number of seats you can have a hold on? I have two seats ticketed in J and I put a hold on one F seat for outbound and want to put hold on the return F seat. Still waiting for the rest of my miles to come in otherwise I would switch the business awards to first and purchase them outright.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:48 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

LAN to LIM

Starting to check availability 331 days out LAX - LIM and it is excellent (per BA at least) but shows Y, J, and F on what is a two class 767 with Y & J only. Any concerns with being charged the correct mileage/booked in the correct class by the AAgent?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Red259
Is there a limit to the number of seats you can have a hold on? I have two seats ticketed in J and I put a hold on one F seat for outbound and want to put hold on the return F seat. Still waiting for the rest of my miles to come in otherwise I would switch the business awards to first and purchase them outright.
If you hold more than one seat for the same person on the same flight, the duplicate will be cancelled.

If you hold more than one seat for any other reason that is deemed to be 'playing' the system, those seats can also be cancelled (as per the terms and conditions).

Otherwise, you can hold multiple seats.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If you hold more than one seat for the same person on the same flight, the duplicate will be cancelled.

If you hold more than one seat for any other reason that is deemed to be 'playing' the system, those seats can also be cancelled (as per the terms and conditions).

Otherwise, you can hold multiple seats.
Actually they are different flights. I just spent a few more hours on the phone tonight with american. I had a J class that was ticketed. A F award had opened up so I put it on hold because I did not realize I had the miles to make the booking and thought I had to wait for my starpoints to hit the account. So they cancel the J booking and now are telling me that when they did that it only refunded 50k points not 55k, so now I am short for the reward and I have to call back tomorrow during daytime hours to deal with aadvantage customer service to try to remedy this. Its getting to be really ridiculous. I think what happened is that I got miles on the redemption via my credit card and instead of just moving the reservation over they are outright cancelling it and then I am losing those miles from the redemption which ends up leaving me like 1k short. So now I hope I get the F because they took away my J already.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:07 am

So any update I just spoke with customer service and it is what I thought happened. Those miles were a bonus from my redemption. When they cancelled my J seat I lost 5.5k miles in the transaction. This put my account under the required mileage for a F ticket. They claim there is nothing they can do. Problem is my J flight is now gone and I don't have the extra 4k miles to book the F seat. The hold on the F seat may expire at midnight. Nobody is really clear on when that is going to happen. I am praying starwoods miles will hit the account today (being that I did a transfer on Sat), but it is far from a guarantee. Anyone have any ideas? The CSR just told me I could buy miles and it would cost me $118 to do so. Of course, once the starwoods miles hit then those miles won't be necessary.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
AA miles: Jfk-edi gla-jfk

I want to go to Scotland using AA reward points. Any suggestions on how to do this. I would like to go business class.

Last edited by mzredhead; Jun 10, 2015 at 9:57 am Reason: needed to give more information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.