Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Red259
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

This is the AA forum; this thread is about redeeming AAdvantage miles for award travel on AA partners.

Questions about redeeming BA Avios should be posed in the FT BA forum.
Oh sorry I should have been more clear. I am redeeming AA miles. I was taking that price quote of the BA website because I thought that the cash part would be the same.
Since aa.com supports award travel on BA flights, just price the award itinerary on aa.com.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
JAL

How is award space released for AA miles on JAL? Meaning when I check certain dates I see some economy awards but no business or first. Will those awards open up closer to the travel date like CX does?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:39 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
So AA allows free upgrade for award from Y > J if space is available. I currently see some CX J space available but I don't have enough miles to cover all passengers. Is it possible to reserve J + Y and have the passenger in Y to upgrade via miles (using his own AAdvantage miles) difference to J after ticketing? Or does it all need to come from the same person?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jix
So AA allows free upgrade for award from Y > J if space is available. I currently see some CX J space available but I don't have enough miles to cover all passengers. Is it possible to reserve J + Y and have the passenger in Y to upgrade via miles (using his own AAdvantage miles) difference to J after ticketing? Or does it all need to come from the same person?
No. The entire amount for the award has to come from the same account.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Red259
Looking at a price quote for a one way award ticket in first on BA from Athens to NYC with a connection in London. The price quote it shows me is 85000 Avios + $ 338.31. Is that 338.31 covering all fuel surcharges and taxes or will more charges be added on later in the booking process?
FWIW, that is about the same charges I just paid for a Budapest to Houston via London. What it showed me on the AA website as the charges was what we actually paid.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:54 am

Upgrading an already booked award ticket?

Ok, so I admit I should have done my homework beforehand....but I didn't. Using AAdvantage points, I just booked a one way award from Budapest to Houston via London on BA in business. I failed to realize that we wouldn't be able to get advanced seat assignments (no OneWorld status) without paying additional fees. While I was doing research to determine if I should pay for advanced seating, I looked to see just how bad the worst seat could be. It was then that I discovered that generally speaking BA gets pretty poor marks for their Biz class on the 777. So my questions:
1. Can I (without paying a fee and presuming they are available) change my reservation to First class?
2. Do you more experienced flyers think it is worth the additional 12,500 points to do so?
3. Lastly, if AA opens up seats on their metal at the same award level in the future, can I change to them and have the fuel supplements credited back?

TIA
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:08 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No. The entire amount for the award has to come from the same account.
OK thanks.

Does AA allow mixed cabin itinerary (on partner)? So I'm looking at business class redemption on valid routing but not all segments have J availability when searched individually, is it possible to combined long haul J and short haul Y together in the ticket and then later on if/when J space opens up ask for the upgrade? I assume it will be free if available?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: AA++
Can use AA miles for partners with stopover?

Hi,

I just saw emirates open up from DXB to LAX first class on sep 16 on qantas website. My route will be CGK-DXB-LAX. CGK-DXB will be business.

How much will this usually cost in AA miles?
Can I actually get a stopover at DXB for 2 nights? Never been there, so mind as well.

As I understand, AA does not allow stopovers in US. Does it include partner award and stop over at other country?

Thanks. I am trying to learn more.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ssg10
Hi,

I just saw emirates open up from DXB to LAX first class on sep 16 on qantas website. My route will be CGK-DXB-LAX. CGK-DXB will be business.

How much will this usually cost in AA miles?
Can I actually get a stopover at DXB for 2 nights? Never been there, so mind as well.

As I understand, AA does not allow stopovers in US. Does it include partner award and stop over at other country?

Thanks. I am trying to learn more.
Emirate is not an AA partner. The only way to fly EK with award ticket is thru AS program.

AAdvantage program does not allow stopover of any kind.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: AA++
Ah, thanks!

I guess collecting chase and UA mileage are best bet then for stopovers?

How about open jaws in AA? Is it allowed?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ssg10
Ah, thanks!

How about open jaws in AA? Is it allowed?
AA award is one-way system (so as UA, DL and AS). A round trip is nothing more than 2 one-way awards.

By default, you do NOT need to return from where you arrive as the "return" part is another one-way award.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:57 am

Help with PEK to LAX F class route options with AA miles

I'm looking to change my reservations on CX which I made using AA miles.

Right now it's 2 F tickets from TAO to HKG (actually J because there is no F on this flight) then HKG to LAX in CX.

I would like to change it so that it's originating from PEK instead of TAO.
My two best options seem to be JL or CX but the JL flights from PEK seem to be all business class... and not particularly good business class seats either.

Also, is it possible to have a layover in Tokyo or Hong Kong?

According to my research, it seems that some flights from Tokyo to LAX have Wi-Fi, which would be really nice.
But there seem to be no nice seats from PEK to Tokyo (NRT or HND)

With Dragon Air, there seems to be first class available, although I'm not sure.
http://www.dragonair.com/ka/en_HK/tr...rst-class.html

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 7, 2015 at 7:25 pm Reason: Merge serial posts for comprehension
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
Also, is it possible to have a layover in Tokyo or Hong Kong?
Not as a single award redemption. AAdvantage eliminated all stopovers with rule changes April '14.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Not as a single award redemption. AAdvantage eliminated all stopovers with rule changes April '14.
uh oh.
not even just one night?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
uh oh.
not even just one night?
It eliminated stopovers, not connections. On an international itinerary, you have up to 24 hours to connect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.