Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Old May 21, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX PLAT, Priority Pass, Admirals Club, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I definitely think it's the MPM. If the added JFK segment is less than 24 hours, then the stopover rule wouldn't apply. As you are "only" allotted 25% over MPM, this certainly looks to be an issue as pointed out by geclub1. (I put "only" in quotes because it's actually pretty generous by industry standards.)

Thanks geclub1 and AtomicLush. I can't believe I didn't think of the MPM as being the problem. Its annoying because KUL-LAX has a much higher MPM that allowed me to do LAX-JFK-HKG-KUL on the inbound and I just figured since REP is pretty close to KUL that they would have a similar MPM but I should have checked it out.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by johnwmaher
You won't be able to use that routing on one award ticket. AA does not allow you to transit Europe on an award to Asia.
So basically, flights to KUL are just like those to BKK. Must route through HKG/Japan for a single award?

What about the domestic leg I inquired about with the 12.5k vs 20k award?
Old May 21, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by cashcow
Originally Posted by johnwmaher
You won't be able to use that routing on one award ticket. AA does not allow you to transit Europe on an award to Asia.
So basically, flights to KUL are just like those to BKK. Must route through HKG/Japan for a single award?

What about the domestic leg I inquired about with the 12.5k vs 20k award?
If SAAver seats are not available to get you to the international gateway, you must either pay cash or obtain an AAnytime award for that domestic segment, in addition to spending the necessary miles for the SAAver award.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
I'll chime in on this part... The obvious option for one-stop and one award would be YYZ-DFW-ICN all on AA. You could also do YYZ-HKG-ICN on CX, but that would price as two awards (and so cost a few more miles) as you cannot transit Asia 2 on a North America-Asia 1 award. I certainly stand to be corrected, but I think those are your only options to keep it down to 1 stop.

With 2 stops you've got access to NRT via LAX, JFK, ORD and DFW since AA fly to all four cities from YYZ, and as you note JL do serve ICN from NRT. Hawaiian Airlines also serve ICN from HNL, but I'm not sure how frequently or whether it's even feasible to find award space on that flight–I'd stick to the other options, but did want to throw this out in case you want to try and work in a 23 hour stop in the sun.
Thanks a lot for the advice.
I'm trying to build this as a single ticket (so connecting in HKG can't be done), and also as a business class award trip, so I'm leaning towards JL over AA for crossing the ocean, as AA's DFW-ICN route doesn't have lie-flat beds afaik.
I guess I'll have to go with 2 connections in order to get on JL. (Sadly JL doesn't seem to fly to YYZ.)
Enjoying the sun in Hawaii while connecting would be a great experience, but this time I'm trying to avoid an overnight connection.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by agjil
I'm trying to build this as a single ticket (so connecting in HKG can't be done), and also as a business class award trip, so I'm leaning towards JL over AA for crossing the ocean, as AA's DFW-ICN route doesn't have lie-flat beds afaik.
I guess I'll have to go with 2 connections in order to get on JL. (Sadly JL doesn't seem to fly to YYZ.).
At the moment it appears DFW-ICN is loaded with the old seats to the end of the schedule; that may change, and depending on when you want to book and fly it may see the newer flat business seats in the not too distant future, but right now it's not looking like it. Thus, if you want flat business you're definitely looking at JL, which means you're looking at 2 stops and a change in JFK, LAX or ORD. :/

PS: I'd be double sure that JL are running flat business on your flight before booking it, I know they still have their own share of angle flat business floating around so just be vigilant on that front.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
At the moment it appears DFW-ICN is loaded with the old seats to the end of the schedule; that may change, and depending on when you want to book and fly it may see the newer flat business seats in the not too distant future, but right now it's not looking like it. Thus, if you want flat business you're definitely looking at JL, which means you're looking at 2 stops and a change in JFK, LAX or ORD. :/

PS: I'd be double sure that JL are running flat business on your flight before booking it, I know they still have their own share of angle flat business floating around so just be vigilant on that front.
Thanks again for the tip Microwave.
I'll definitely keep an eye on the equipment for the DFW-ICN route, as well as the JL flights' seats.
This is for a trip in fall, so I still have a few months left, and it would be really great if DFW-ICN gets the new 772 or 77W (probably 772 if any...I don't think ICN has enough premium cabin traffic for the 77W).
Old May 22, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Thanks again for the tip Microwave.
I'll definitely keep an eye on the equipment for the DFW-ICN route, as well as the JL flights' seats.
This is for a trip in fall, so I still have a few months left, and it would be really great if DFW-ICN gets the new 772 or 77W (probably 772 if any...I don't think ICN has enough premium cabin traffic for the 77W).
If it is for a trip for this Fall, it may already be too late for awards; if it is for Fall next year, then you should be OK.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
If it is for a trip for this Fall, it may already be too late for awards; if it is for Fall next year, then you should be OK.
It is indeed for a trip this fall.
It seems the available seats are very limited at this point as you said, but there are still some available, so I'll have to book something quick.

In the meanwhile, I have another question I hope someone could help me with.
Does anyone know if AB tends to open up seats as the departure date approaches?
Beside my trip to ICN, I also need to make a TATL trip to Berlin, for which I'd like to use my AA miles as well.
AB's ORD/JFK-TXL route fits my need perfectly, but right now there are no U class seats open on the dates I'm interested in.
I was wondering if AB tends to open up more U class seats on top of the initial ones they release.
Thanks!
Old May 22, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
It is indeed for a trip this fall.
It seems the available seats are very limited at this point as you said, but there are still some available, so I'll have to book something quick.

In the meanwhile, I have another question I hope someone could help me with.
Does anyone know if AB tends to open up seats as the departure date approaches?
Beside my trip to ICN, I also need to make a TATL trip to Berlin, for which I'd like to use my AA miles as well.
AB's ORD/JFK-TXL route fits my need perfectly, but right now there are no U class seats open on the dates I'm interested in.
I was wondering if AB tends to open up more U class seats on top of the initial ones they release.
Thanks!
Have you checked IB ORD-MAD-TXL (on BA.com)?
Old May 23, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Have you checked IB ORD-MAD-TXL (on BA.com)?
yeah, and sadly nothing was available.
Oh well, I'll just keep checking regularly and hope something opens up.

In the meanwhile, I was playing around with AA's award booking engine, and I ran into something I don't quite understand.

1) When I search for MXP-LHR-JFK, where MXP-LHR is on BA and LHR-JFK is on AA, there's a "carrier surcharge" of $40.

2) However, when I search just for the MXP-LHR segment on BA, there is no carrier surcharge.

3) Similarly, when I search just for the LHR-JFK segment on AA, there is no carrier surcharge.

Can someone help me understand how this carrier surcharge gets added when I combine the two flights (MXP-LHR, LHR-JFK) as a single journey with a connection when the individual flights have no carrier surcharge?
Old May 23, 2015, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

yeah, and sadly nothing was available.
Oh well, I'll just keep checking regularly and hope something opens up.

In the meanwhile, I was playing around with AA's award booking engine, and I ran into something I don't quite understand.

1) When I search for MXP-LHR-JFK, where MXP-LHR is on BA and LHR-JFK is on AA, there's a "carrier surcharge" of $40.

2) However, when I search just for the MXP-LHR segment on BA, there is no carrier surcharge.

3) Similarly, when I search just for the LHR-JFK segment on AA, there is no carrier surcharge.

Can someone help me understand how this carrier surcharge gets added when I combine the two flights (MXP-LHR, LHR-JFK) as a single journey with a connection when the individual flights have no carrier surcharge?
There is no surcharge applied where the journey is entirely within Europe. For a Europe to US journey, there is a surcharge applied on BA European services - same as for normal revenue bookings

If you use ITA to price up a MXP-JFK via LHR on BA and AA , you will see that there is a €28.00 BA surcharge
Old May 23, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no surcharge applied where the journey is entirely within Europe. For a Europe to US journey, there is a surcharge applied on BA European services - same as for normal revenue bookings

If you use ITA to price up a MXP-JFK via LHR on BA and AA , you will see that there is a €28.00 BA surcharge
Ah, thanks a lot, I get it now. @:-)
Old May 28, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Question Which phone number to use to book partner award tickets?

This is my first time trying to book an award flight (CX/MH) with AA, and I don't know if this is the norm, but upon calling 800-433-7300, I keep getting the same "all agents are currently busy, please call again later" message without even trying to put me in the queue.

Is there a different number I can try? I've been trying to talk to someone for the past hour with no success.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Unless you have elite status in the AAdvantage program, that is the number to call. You can try calling some of the foreign-language numbers listed on aa.com, on the off chance that you will get through on one of those. (All AA agents should speak English.)

Otherwise, call very late at night, or in the very early morning hours.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
JFK-NRT using AA miles. 62,500 miles and $5.00 each. Checked the BA site first then called AA
I booked an award flight from DTW to SFO to HND to SIN (route trip) for Business class (110,000 miles plus 69.50USD taxes) from AA miles

I wonder how could you get only $5 tax for one way?
Do I miss something?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.