Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
oneworld and other airline Awards Rules, Information 2015 on
NOTE: Check AA award charts for current awards costs.

List of airlines you can use in redeeming awards:

oneworld airlines (and their oneworld affiliates) are:
  • AA - American Airlines (and American Eagle)
  • AS - Alaska Airlines
  • AT - Royal Air Maroc
  • BA - British Airways (and BA Cityflyer, BA Euroflyer, Sun Air of Scandinavia) (incurs high YQ surcharge)
  • CX - Cathay Pacific
  • AY - Finnair (and Norra)
  • IB - Iberia (and Air Nostrum, Iberia Express) (incurs YQ surcharge)
  • JL - Japan Airlines (and J-Air)
  • MH - Malaysia Airlines
  • RJ - Royal Jordanian
  • QF - Qantas (and QantasLink, Jetconnect - not Jetstar)
  • QR - Qatar Airways
  • UL - SriLankan Airlines

Non-oneworld airlines one can redeem (MileSAAver) awards on are:
  • TN - Air Tahiti Nui
  • CZ - China Southern
  • EY - Etihad Airways
  • FJ - Fiji Airways (oneworld Connect partner)
  • HA - Hawaiian Airlines - except mainland - islands

Airlines that can be booked for award travel on aa.com:

oneworld alliance partners and other partners
  • TN - Air Tahiti Nui
  • AA - American Airlines
  • AS - Alaska Airlines
  • AY - Finnair
  • BA - British Airways (awards incur YQ airline imposed surcharge)
  • FJ - Fiji Airways
  • HA - Hawaiian Airlines (not interisland not North America - Hawaii)
  • IB - Iberia (lesser YQ surcharge)
  • MH - Malaysia Airlines
  • QF - Qantas Airways
  • QR - Qatar Airways
  • RJ - Royal Jordanian Airlines
  • UL - Sri Lankan Airlines

All other airlines have to be requested by telephone; calling to book awards that cannot be booked online no longer incurs telephone service fees.

Routing assistance, etc.

Check this oneworld interactive map and timetable by Innosked to see potential routes, and you can sign up for British Airways Executive Club or Qantas Frequent Flyer to use their sites to find awards (look for the lowest level awards) you can't see on aa.com. Also see this link to AA.com listing oneworld airlines with information about each.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
(Routings allowed)

Awards may be put on hold for five days. Awards may take time to be verified by the operating airlines. Once approved, they will proceed to a booking queue for ticket issuance; the sooner the trip, the faster the process - and vice versa. See link to thread, below.

Booking for, or changing an award to, travel sooner than 21 days out requires an early booking fee (waived for Executive Platinum members). One can not book farther out, change to closer in and evade this fee any longer (as of 16 Feb 2012)

Booking Business or First awards with JL / Japan Airlines one will only be able to fly in Economy domestically in Japan, but upgrades are quite inexpensive at 1,000 or so per flight.

See more below in "General Rules"

Latest changes:
  • As of Aug 2017, Connections are limited to two connections / three flight segments for domestic awards, and three connections / four flight segments for international awards. Link
  • Nov 2016: MH can now be used on AA or CX transpacific awards to India subcontinent via HKG in addition to CX
  • May 6, 2016: Regions split (Indian Subcontinent, Middle East)
  • As of 7 April 2014, the "free stopover" discussed can no longer be used as free award stopovers at international North American gateways have been eliminated.
  • Airlines are normally precluded from writing tickets with more than 16 segments.

AA Region Definitions*
Region definitions changed again May 6, 2016. Link

Links and resources:

updated April 2021. Modified and updated from JonNYC's original post in the archived thread (please feel free to update):

Introduction

There are two types of awards discussed below, AA Awards and oneworld and Other Airlines Awards, which are targeted to passengers traveling to a single destination.

As of 1 October 2010 awards may be redeemed for travel on all British Airways flights, including previously excluded flights between the U.S. and U.K. Note that additional British Airways high YQ surcharges, as well as Iberia's lower YQ surcharges, apply based on class-of-service and market flown: see Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Award Rules
  • American Airlines Awards are valid for travel on flights that are marketed and operated by AA (no codeshares). These awards can be booked online at AA.com.
  • oneworld and Other Airline awards are valid for travel on AA and any of its partner airlines, and can include travel on multiple partners. Many of these awards must be booked over the phone, and will not incur a Ticketing Service Charge (waived for EXPs in any case) if they cannot be booked online.
  • Up to four one-way awards can be booked on a single PNR.

General Rules, Routing and Connections

Passenger has 4h on domestic / 23h59m international travel to connect. If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover may require two awards).

If there is a non-stop flight that departs after the 4h / 23h59m windows and arrives at the destination earlier than a connecting flight within the 4h / 23h59m window, the passenger may be booked on the non-stop flight.

Effective on 14 Jul 2014 on an all-AA-metal award itinerary, you now have up to 18 hours to connect when traveling to/from Hawaii [[URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25730421-post993.html"]Ref]

The particular carrier's Maximum Permitted Miles / MPM + 25% on a particular route. (The MPM by itself often exceeds the distance between the origin and destination airports because connections may be required.)

Or, the "most significant carrier" (e.g. DFW-SFO-HKG-BKK, CX SFO-HKG is the prevailing or most significant carrier) must publish a non-constructed fare between your origin and destination.

To price as a single award, AAdvantage requires the most significant carrier to publish a cash fare (non-constructed) between the origin and destination. Airline MSC would have to have a published fare from XXX to YYY that allows travel on all included airlines, and routing that you want. If the MSC only offers constructed fares between your desired origin and destination, AA will price this as two awards.

Stopovers
None allowed.

Partner award inventories

Award booking inventory classes for each carrier in the AAdvantage Award program are listed below and may be useful when on the phone with an AA rep or when checking availability. See also the Award Booking Codes page in the FlyerGuide wiki for updated information.

Code:
oneworld Partners First Business Economy
--------------------------------------------------------
AA - American Airlines Z U T
AY  Finnair U X
BA  British Airways Z U X
CX  Cathay Pacific Z U T
IB  Iberia U X
JL  Japan Airlines (Intl) Z U T
JL  Japan Airlines (Dom) Z D S
MH - Malaysia Airlines P U X
QF - QANTAS Airways P U X
QR - Qatar Airways Z U X
RJ  Royal Jordanian U X
S7  S7 Airlines U E
UL - SriLankan Airlines

Other Partners First Business Economy
FJ  Fiji Airways U X
TN  Air Tahiti Nui F for Business U for Economy
LY  El Al Israel P X E
EY - Etihad O I N
HA  Hawaiian Airlines D T

General Routing Rules

Routing

General Rules

Passenger has 4h / 23h59m to connect (depending on domestic or international travel). If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover.

If there is a non-stop flight that departs after the 4h / 23h59m window and arrives at the destination earlier than a connecting flight within the 4h / 23h59m window, the passenger may be booked on the non-stop flight. It is not necessary to check every flight/carrier to ensure passenger is booked on next scheduled flight.

Must meet Married Segment Logic - a prospective trip may be available when searching segment by segment, yet not be bookable through from origin to destination. When selling seats for through flights and the desired inventory is not available, you cannot opt to sell the flight point-to-point. If sold point-to-point, the error response MULTIPLE SEGMENTS FOR SAME FLIGHT - SELL AS ONE SEGMENT will be received, indicating this booking is not allowed. Overriding the error check by ending the PNR twice is not acceptable.

If the partner airline doesnt sell an unconstructed ticket for the desired routing, it wont offer an award using that routing.

Within North America
  • Awards wholly within North America are valid on all partner airlines that market and operate their own service within North America.
  • Travel between two cities in the United States via Canada/Mexico is not allowed.
  • Travel between two cities in Canada/Mexico via the United States is not allowed.
  • Passenger must travel the most direct routing.
  • Connections of more than 4 hours are considered a stopover unless the passenger is taking the next scheduled flight and it is outside the 4 hours.
  • Any connection of 24 hours is always considered a stopover.
  • Award travel between Hawaii and North America does not include inter-island flights.
  • Inter-island award travel will allow a maxium of 2 flight segments.

North America To/from Other Regions
  • Award travel to/from North America is allowed on any combination of carriers that service the applicable region except as noted below.
  • Passenger must use most direct routing.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not valid for these awards.
  • As of Oct 1, 2010, British Airways is valid for all routes, including transatlantic flights between the U.S. and U.K.
  • Travel to Europe, Africa and the Indian Sub-Continent/Middle East must be via the Atlantic only.
  • Travel to Asia 1, Asia 2 and the South Pacific must be via the Pacific.
  • Travel to/from Fiji/Papeete cannot be via Australia/New Zealand.
  • Travel to Easter Island (IPC) must be via Papeete (PPT) or use two awards.
  • North American travel to/from Guam or Saipan, the transpacific segment must be on AA.
  • Passenger has 23h59m to connect, regardless of availability.
  • A connection with more than 23h59m will be considered a stopover.

Travel Wholly Within or Between All Other Regions
These awards do not allow a connection via North America and therefore, do not include travel on American Airlines.
  • Passenger must travel the most direct routing.
  • Connecting travel is not allowed outside the region or regions.
  • Passenger has 23h59m to connect, regardless of availability.
  • A connection with more than 24 hours will be considered a stopover.

Travel Via a Third Region

Travel via a third region is not allowed (note the exception table below).

EXCEPTION TABLE:
To/From Via
  • North America to/from Africa can connect in Europe or in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • North America to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe
  • North America to/from Asia 2 can connect in Asia 1
  • Central/South America to/from Africa can connect in Europe
  • Central/South America to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe
  • Central/South America to/from South Pacific can connect in South America 2
  • South America 2 to/from Africa can connect in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • South America 2 to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe
  • Europe to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2 or DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • Europe to/from Asia 2 can connect in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • Europe to/from South Pacific can connect in Singapore or Bangkok only. Note: this may have been updated to include Bangkok, Doha, Hong Kong, Osaka, Singapore or Tokyo.
  • Africa to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2 or in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • Africa to/from Asia 2 can connect in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • Indian Sub Continent/Middle East to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2
  • Indian Sub Continent/Middle East to/from South Pacific can connect in Asia 2
  • Asia 1 to/from South Pacific can connect in Asia 2

Regions:
  • Asia 1 = Japan, Korea, Mongolia
  • Asia 2 = Bhutan, Brunei, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Saipan, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam
  • South America 2 = Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile (excluding Easter Island), Paraguay, Uruguay

Travel on LAN direct flights between North America and South America Region 2 are allowed. Currently, only one market, Miami to/from Buenos Aries, has direct service. These can only be booked by the liaisons. Contact support for booking assistance.

For permitted changes and fees, see this post

NOTE: New award charts are in place for awards made 22 March 2016 or later. See the American Airlines charts here and the oneworld and partner award charts here, both those effective through 21 March 2016 and those taking effect 22 Mar 2016.
Awards assistance tools: Use at your own risk; may not be up to date. These are not recommendations.
  • AwardAce: Compare Award Redemptions Across Airlines In Second
  • AwardHacker: "a tool we build to tell you how to travel with the least miles"
  • Award Nexus: which can search availability but can't determine cost, with FT member free limited use
  • Economical Excursionist's Tools: compare Frequent Flyer Mile Redemptions
  • ExpertFlyer is a common tool used on FT. There is a $99.99 annual fee, monthly fee and five day trial
  • Great Circle Mapper is useful for calculating distance and MPM (Maximum Permitted Mileage)
  • You can try PEX+ (currently in beta), which will even tell you how many miles you'll need, though it draws data from aa.com and S7 so it can't reveal awards that can not be seen on those sites.
  • Travel Codex Award Maximiser commercial blog
Print Wikipost

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Indeed, the incompetent agents issue is not AA alone. AS has the same problem if not worse. The root clause of such is due to Pandemic many experienced agents left or being let go - for a very long period of time. Before Pandemic a lot of agents were already WFH - the reason I learned was on one call there was no background music while I waited, when agent returned I jokingly said I thought the phone went dead. She said, ah no, the background music connection was very poor full of statics for 2 years but I could not get someone to fix it. I did not want my customers suffered thru the bad noise, so when I had to ask Help Desk, I did not put the music on. "They" did not like it but I didn't want my customers to suffer. That was when I realized she was WFH. She said the particular difficulty was when they needed Help Desk, they often had to wait a very long time themselves to get thru...

So the WFH scenario has long existed before Pandemic, due to cost saving. After Pandemic, many agents did not return to their old jobs, so there are a lot of new hires. I have come across agents who told me they were on the job only a couple months, a few weeks, or just last 2 weeks - from both AA and AS. No doubt the new folks got Very Little trainings and hardly any work manuals to go by. Hence HUCA is the way to go as almost the only solution to get things done that in the past virtually all agents knew how to do it. Another version of HUCA is to call international numbers or foreign language numbers. In the past 2 yearsI was advised to call Australia or Singapore or Hong Kong in other threads of this forum.
I feel for these folks who are really trying their best to help frustrated customers, as youve said, not their fault they dont have enough training. And working from home, without adequate support. Sad. Interesting idea about calling international numbers!
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:47 pm

I tried a search of the forum, but really didn't know how to find what I'm looking for (if there's a thread discussing this, please post link?):
My folks have lifetime AA Gold, and no AS status. My understanding is that they only get the crossover elite benefits if they use their AA #?

In the past I'd had luck effectively double-dipping by booking with the AA# for the benefits, and then asking at the gate (or even upon arrival) for them to swap out the number for the other airline's program. Does this sort of stunt still work? And if so, I wonder how cumbersome it is to use it on a r/t booking? Any anecdotal data points would be greatly appreciated here. In the past I know that AA is reticent to move the miles back to AS, citing elite benefits enjoyed by virtue of the AA status...

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Ok. I'm trying to figure out the new policy with award bookngs that involve parnter and AA. No offense to the EXP agents but I'm pretty sure I need to know my options before I talk to them since hey all seem to have different levels of educaiton on options.
I booked two award flights NRT>SFO>ORD>MSP. 60,000 miles. Nice redemptions. Not flying until fall.
NRT to SFO in Business on JAL. The rest in economy on AA and we are on the upgrade list.
I know the schedule will change and I know flights SFO to MSP with only one connection and business awards will become available. In fact, I see a couple of options already but redemption amounts all over the board.
I know in the past I could call at any time and have them extend the business class award to include all flights but now that has changed a bit.
Now, not so sure. Could my flights in the US be tagged as saver awards? Any way to know?
This PNR still hasn't ticketed so I'm guessing I cant' address the AA flights until it does?
And then, if I see flights available on AA SFO>MSP in business in some other way, should I be able to call and have that changed? Coudl it possibly need additional miles?

Apologies if these sound like rookie questions but this is my first partner/aaa combo booking without everything in business since the dynamic pricing changes happened in 2023
TIA
grdnldy likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:28 pm

I have a flight booked with AA miles on BA in F lhr/iad. The issue is I am starting in NAP. When I booked the F tickets back in Nov. AA showed no availability for NAP/lhr. Yet, even then, the BA site showed availability on all three daily flights, I talked to aa and they said to keep checking the aa site to see if availability shows up. Well it still hasn't and the number of seats available for redemption on the BA site is starting to decline. I called the BA Us line. They told me they couldn't help because AA issued the ticket.
They did tell me AA could contact the OW liaison desk and they could fix it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Even though I am explat. I'm not confident AA can or will do this. Any thoughts or recommendations welcomed.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by aj411
Ok. I'm trying to figure out the new policy with award bookngs that involve parnter and AA. No offense to the EXP agents but I'm pretty sure I need to know my options before I talk to them since hey all seem to have different levels of educaiton on options.
I booked two award flights NRT>SFO>ORD>MSP. 60,000 miles. Nice redemptions. Not flying until fall.
NRT to SFO in Business on JAL. The rest in economy on AA and we are on the upgrade list.
I know the schedule will change and I know flights SFO to MSP with only one connection and business awards will become available. In fact, I see a couple of options already but redemption amounts all over the board.
I know in the past I could call at any time and have them extend the business class award to include all flights but now that has changed a bit.
Now, not so sure. Could my flights in the US be tagged as saver awards? Any way to know?
This PNR still hasn't ticketed so I'm guessing I cant' address the AA flights until it does?
And then, if I see flights available on AA SFO>MSP in business in some other way, should I be able to call and have that changed? Coudl it possibly need additional miles?

Apologies if these sound like rookie questions but this is my first partner/aaa combo booking without everything in business since the dynamic pricing changes happened in 2023
TIA
Given you booked for 60,000 miles, your domestic segments on AA would have been booked in partner award space. T class is an economy partner award, and U class is a Business (domestic First) partner award.

If something opens up SFO-MSP in either T or U class, you *should* be able to switch to that flight in place of your currently booked connection SFO-ORD-MSP. I say "should" because there could be some married segment logic that prohibits it. Expertflyer is your friend here to find U and T availability and is worth the subscription price to get the flights that you want.

If there is a schedule change on your SFO-ORD-MSP connection, particularly a schedule change that causes a misconnect or a tight connection from your NRT-SFO flight, then AA *should* switch you to your preferred SFO-MSP flight by opening up T space. I would not expect them to open up U space in that instance given you are in coach now, but at least it would get you on the non-stop. Again I say "should" since some reps will insist on either a misconnect or a substantial 4 hour schedule change or a schedule change the violates the MCT.

If the EXP agent says that awards are not changeable, tell them it is a Partner Award and that it should be changeable per the old rules. If that does not work, HUCA.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jmj9905
I have a flight booked with AA miles on BA in F lhr/iad. The issue is I am starting in NAP. When I booked the F tickets back in Nov. AA showed no availability for NAP/lhr. Yet, even then, the BA site showed availability on all three daily flights, I talked to aa and they said to keep checking the aa site to see if availability shows up. Well it still hasn't and the number of seats available for redemption on the BA site is starting to decline. I called the BA Us line. They told me they couldn't help because AA issued the ticket.
They did tell me AA could contact the OW liaison desk and they could fix it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Even though I am explat. I'm not confident AA can or will do this. Any thoughts or recommendations welcomed.
Not all flights are open to all partners, just an FYI, NAP-LHR on BA is not FC its Euro Business, and that would help when talking with agents. I would call AA back again and see what they say.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:40 am

I couldn't find any award from JNB to DFW in late December in business. I'm Holding a DOH/PHL/DFW J award currently for Dec 30th. I'm trying to book QA from JNB to DOH. On the QA site they show availability for flexi award @90K avios pp. But it doesn't show any availability on the AA site for any milage. Does QA availability only show up on AA for off peak times.?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lonedaddy
I couldn't find any award from JNB to DFW in late December in business. I'm Holding a DOH/PHL/DFW J award currently for Dec 30th. I'm trying to book QA from JNB to DOH. On the QA site they show availability for flexi award @90K avios pp. But it doesn't show any availability on the AA site for any milage. Does QA availability only show up on AA for off peak times.?
I would recommend this: Search JNB--DOH--PHL on multicity search on AA, as shown below.

Then switch your search to JNB--DOH. This sequence of events somehow gets a different result sometimes.

Multi city search on AA: JNB-->DOH-->PHL

multicity search

single city search
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Redbrick2
I would recommend this: Search JNB--DOH--PHL on multicity search on AA, as shown below.

Then switch your search to JNB--DOH. This sequence of events somehow gets a different result sometimes.

Multi city search on AA: JNB-->DOH-->PHL

multicity search

single city search
those are all in main cabin.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:55 pm

Misread your question, and missed the "business" search. I see only main cabin awards in later December.
Hopefully you find what you are looking for!
Old Feb 7, 2024, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Redbrick2
Misread your question, and missed the "business" search. I see only main cabin awards in later December.
Hopefully you find what you are looking for!
Worst case I can use Amex rewards for Avios as they have an award on QR site. I was able to snag a DOH/PHL/DFW (200K pp expensive but better than the 300K that keeps showing up) on AA but I'll keep looking if QR opens some inventory to a US city. BA to London also has no inventory in business dec 26 on. Our cruise-tour ends on the 26th so couldn't make the dec 25th flight.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I have a question, when I am searching for award flights some days show on top that have saver awards, like 57.5k in J for Europe, but below it says "No flights available." Why does it still appear to show availability on the monthly or weekly availability chart? Do these reflect awards on hold but not yet booked, perhaps? Or other reasons?
Old Feb 7, 2024, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nk15
I have a question, when I am searching for award flights some days show on top that have saver awards, like 57.5k in J for Europe, but below it says "No flights available." Why does it still appear to show availability on the monthly or weekly availability chart? Do these reflect awards on hold but not yet booked, perhaps? Or other reasons?
Just an aa.com bug, phantom space on the calendar.
nk15 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.