Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
oneworld and other airline Awards Rules, Information 2015 on
NOTE: Check AA award charts for current awards costs.

List of airlines you can use in redeeming awards:

oneworld airlines (and their oneworld affiliates) are:
  • AA - American Airlines (and American Eagle)
  • AS - Alaska Airlines
  • AT - Royal Air Maroc
  • BA - British Airways (and BA Cityflyer, BA Euroflyer, Sun Air of Scandinavia) (incurs high YQ surcharge)
  • CX - Cathay Pacific
  • AY - Finnair (and Norra)
  • IB - Iberia (and Air Nostrum, Iberia Express) (incurs YQ surcharge)
  • JL - Japan Airlines (and J-Air)
  • MH - Malaysia Airlines
  • RJ - Royal Jordanian
  • QF - Qantas (and QantasLink, Jetconnect - not Jetstar)
  • QR - Qatar Airways
  • UL - SriLankan Airlines

Non-oneworld airlines one can redeem (MileSAAver) awards on are:
  • TN - Air Tahiti Nui
  • CZ - China Southern
  • EY - Etihad Airways
  • FJ - Fiji Airways (oneworld Connect partner)
  • HA - Hawaiian Airlines - except mainland - islands

Airlines that can be booked for award travel on aa.com:

oneworld alliance partners and other partners
  • TN - Air Tahiti Nui
  • AA - American Airlines
  • AS - Alaska Airlines
  • AY - Finnair
  • BA - British Airways (awards incur YQ airline imposed surcharge)
  • FJ - Fiji Airways
  • HA - Hawaiian Airlines (not interisland not North America - Hawaii)
  • IB - Iberia (lesser YQ surcharge)
  • MH - Malaysia Airlines
  • QF - Qantas Airways
  • QR - Qatar Airways
  • RJ - Royal Jordanian Airlines
  • UL - Sri Lankan Airlines

All other airlines have to be requested by telephone; calling to book awards that cannot be booked online no longer incurs telephone service fees.

Routing assistance, etc.

Check this oneworld interactive map and timetable by Innosked to see potential routes, and you can sign up for British Airways Executive Club or Qantas Frequent Flyer to use their sites to find awards (look for the lowest level awards) you can't see on aa.com. Also see this link to AA.com listing oneworld airlines with information about each.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
(Routings allowed)

Awards may be put on hold for five days. Awards may take time to be verified by the operating airlines. Once approved, they will proceed to a booking queue for ticket issuance; the sooner the trip, the faster the process - and vice versa. See link to thread, below.

Booking for, or changing an award to, travel sooner than 21 days out requires an early booking fee (waived for Executive Platinum members). One can not book farther out, change to closer in and evade this fee any longer (as of 16 Feb 2012)

Booking Business or First awards with JL / Japan Airlines one will only be able to fly in Economy domestically in Japan, but upgrades are quite inexpensive at Ą1,000 or so per flight.

See more below in "General Rules"

Latest changes:
  • As of Aug 2017, Connections are limited to two connections / three flight segments for domestic awards, and three connections / four flight segments for international awards. Link
  • Nov 2016: MH can now be used on AA or CX transpacific awards to India subcontinent via HKG in addition to CX
  • May 6, 2016: Regions split (Indian Subcontinent, Middle East)
  • As of 7 April 2014, the "free stopover" discussed can no longer be used as free award stopovers at international North American gateways have been eliminated.
  • Airlines are normally precluded from writing tickets with more than 16 segments.

AA Region Definitions*
Region definitions changed again May 6, 2016. Link

Links and resources:

updated April 2021. Modified and updated from JonNYC's original post in the archived thread (please feel free to update):

Introduction

There are two types of awards discussed below, AA Awards and oneworld and Other Airlines Awards, which are targeted to passengers traveling to a single destination.

As of 1 October 2010 awards may be redeemed for travel on all British Airways flights, including previously excluded flights between the U.S. and U.K. Note that additional British Airways high YQ surcharges, as well as Iberia's lower YQ surcharges, apply based on class-of-service and market flown: see Earning and redeeming AA miles / upgrading on BA/IB; BA fuel surcharge (Oct 1, 2010)

Award Rules
  • American Airlines Awards are valid for travel on flights that are marketed and operated by AA (no codeshares). These awards can be booked online at AA.com.
  • oneworld and Other Airline awards are valid for travel on AA and any of its partner airlines, and can include travel on multiple partners. Many of these awards must be booked over the phone, and will not incur a Ticketing Service Charge (waived for EXPs in any case) if they cannot be booked online.
  • Up to four one-way awards can be booked on a single PNR.

General Rules, Routing and Connections

Passenger has 4h on domestic / 23h59m international travel to connect. If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover may require two awards).

If there is a non-stop flight that departs after the 4h / 23h59m windows and arrives at the destination earlier than a connecting flight within the 4h / 23h59m window, the passenger may be booked on the non-stop flight.

Effective on 14 Jul 2014 on an all-AA-metal award itinerary, you now have up to 18 hours to connect when traveling to/from Hawaii [[URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25730421-post993.html"]Ref]

The particular carrier's Maximum Permitted Miles / MPM + 25% on a particular route. (The MPM by itself often exceeds the distance between the origin and destination airports because connections may be required.)

Or, the "most significant carrier" (e.g. DFW-SFO-HKG-BKK, CX SFO-HKG is the prevailing or most significant carrier) must publish a non-constructed fare between your origin and destination.

To price as a single award, AAdvantage requires the most significant carrier to publish a cash fare (non-constructed) between the origin and destination. Airline MSC would have to have a published fare from XXX to YYY that allows travel on all included airlines, and routing that you want. If the MSC only offers constructed fares between your desired origin and destination, AA will price this as two awards.

Stopovers
None allowed.

Partner award inventories

Award booking inventory classes for each carrier in the AAdvantage Award program are listed below and may be useful when on the phone with an AA rep or when checking availability. See also the Award Booking Codes page in the FlyerGuide wiki for updated information.

Code:
oneworld Partners First Business Economy
--------------------------------------------------------
AA - American Airlines Z U T
AY – Finnair U X
BA – British Airways Z U X
CX – Cathay Pacific Z U T
IB – Iberia U X
JL – Japan Airlines (Intl) Z U T
JL – Japan Airlines (Dom) Z D S
MH - Malaysia Airlines P U X
QF - QANTAS Airways P U X
QR - Qatar Airways Z U X
RJ – Royal Jordanian U X
S7 – S7 Airlines U E
UL - SriLankan Airlines

Other Partners First Business Economy
FJ – Fiji Airways U X
TN – Air Tahiti Nui F for Business U for Economy
LY – El Al Israel P X E
EY - Etihad O I N
HA – Hawaiian Airlines D T

General Routing Rules

Routing

General Rules

Passenger has 4h / 23h59m to connect (depending on domestic or international travel). If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but, may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover.

If there is a non-stop flight that departs after the 4h / 23h59m window and arrives at the destination earlier than a connecting flight within the 4h / 23h59m window, the passenger may be booked on the non-stop flight. It is not necessary to check every flight/carrier to ensure passenger is booked on next scheduled flight.

Must meet Married Segment Logic - a prospective trip may be available when searching segment by segment, yet not be bookable through from origin to destination. When selling seats for through flights and the desired inventory is not available, you cannot opt to sell the flight point-to-point. If sold point-to-point, the error response MULTIPLE SEGMENTS FOR SAME FLIGHT - SELL AS ONE SEGMENT will be received, indicating this booking is not allowed. Overriding the error check by ending the PNR twice is not acceptable.

If the partner airline doesn’t sell an unconstructed ticket for the desired routing, it won’t offer an award using that routing.

Within North America
  • Awards wholly within North America are valid on all partner airlines that market and operate their own service within North America.
  • Travel between two cities in the United States via Canada/Mexico is not allowed.
  • Travel between two cities in Canada/Mexico via the United States is not allowed.
  • Passenger must travel the most direct routing.
  • Connections of more than 4 hours are considered a stopover unless the passenger is taking the next scheduled flight and it is outside the 4 hours.
  • Any connection of 24 hours is always considered a stopover.
  • Award travel between Hawaii and North America does not include inter-island flights.
  • Inter-island award travel will allow a maxium of 2 flight segments.

North America To/from Other Regions
  • Award travel to/from North America is allowed on any combination of carriers that service the applicable region except as noted below.
  • Passenger must use most direct routing.
  • Hawaiian Airlines is not valid for these awards.
  • As of Oct 1, 2010, British Airways is valid for all routes, including transatlantic flights between the U.S. and U.K.
  • Travel to Europe, Africa and the Indian Sub-Continent/Middle East must be via the Atlantic only.
  • Travel to Asia 1, Asia 2 and the South Pacific must be via the Pacific.
  • Travel to/from Fiji/Papeete cannot be via Australia/New Zealand.
  • Travel to Easter Island (IPC) must be via Papeete (PPT) or use two awards.
  • North American travel to/from Guam or Saipan, the transpacific segment must be on AA.
  • Passenger has 23h59m to connect, regardless of availability.
  • A connection with more than 23h59m will be considered a stopover.

Travel Wholly Within or Between All Other Regions
These awards do not allow a connection via North America and therefore, do not include travel on American Airlines.
  • Passenger must travel the most direct routing.
  • Connecting travel is not allowed outside the region or regions.
  • Passenger has 23h59m to connect, regardless of availability.
  • A connection with more than 24 hours will be considered a stopover.

Travel Via a Third Region

Travel via a third region is not allowed (note the exception table below).

EXCEPTION TABLE:
To/From Via
  • North America to/from Africa can connect in Europe or in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • North America to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe
  • North America to/from Asia 2 can connect in Asia 1
  • Central/South America to/from Africa can connect in Europe
  • Central/South America to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe
  • Central/South America to/from South Pacific can connect in South America 2
  • South America 2 to/from Africa can connect in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • South America 2 to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe
  • Europe to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2 or DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • Europe to/from Asia 2 can connect in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • Europe to/from South Pacific can connect in Singapore or Bangkok only. Note: this may have been updated to include Bangkok, Doha, Hong Kong, Osaka, Singapore or Tokyo.
  • Africa to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2 or in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • Africa to/from Asia 2 can connect in DOH if connecting QR-QR
  • Indian Sub Continent/Middle East to/from Asia 1 can connect in Asia 2
  • Indian Sub Continent/Middle East to/from South Pacific can connect in Asia 2
  • Asia 1 to/from South Pacific can connect in Asia 2

Regions:
  • Asia 1 = Japan, Korea, Mongolia
  • Asia 2 = Bhutan, Brunei, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Saipan, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam
  • South America 2 = Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile (excluding Easter Island), Paraguay, Uruguay

Travel on LAN direct flights between North America and South America Region 2 are allowed. Currently, only one market, Miami to/from Buenos Aries, has direct service. These can only be booked by the liaisons. Contact support for booking assistance.

For permitted changes and fees, see this post

NOTE: New award charts are in place for awards made 22 March 2016 or later. See the American Airlines charts here and the oneworld and partner award charts here, both those effective through 21 March 2016 and those taking effect 22 Mar 2016.
Awards assistance tools: Use at your own risk; may not be up to date. These are not recommendations.
  • AwardAce: Compare Award Redemptions Across Airlines In Second
  • AwardHacker: "a tool we build to tell you how to travel with the least miles"
  • Award Nexus: which can search availability but can't determine cost, with FT member free limited use
  • Economical Excursionist's Tools: compare Frequent Flyer Mile Redemptions
  • ExpertFlyer is a common tool used on FT. There is a $99.99 annual fee, monthly fee and five day trial
  • Great Circle Mapper is useful for calculating distance and MPM (Maximum Permitted Mileage)
  • You can try PEX+ (currently in beta), which will even tell you how many miles you'll need, though it draws data from aa.com and S7 so it can't reveal awards that can not be seen on those sites.
  • Travel Codex Award Maximiser commercial blog
Print Wikipost

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
AAdvantage awards no longer offer free stopovers anywhere, only connections. If you are stopping over in both CAN and SIN, then three one-way awards are required: SFO-CAN, CAN-SIN, and SIN-SFO.
Would an open jaw be possible? Booking SFO-CAN then SIN-SFO using miles and purchasing CAN-SIN using $ or another airlines miles.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bobmyknob
Would an open jaw be possible? Booking SFO-CAN then SIN-SFO using miles and purchasing CAN-SIN using $ or another airlines miles.
Certainly: all AAdvantage awards are now one-ways, which can be flexibly combined to create roundtrips, open-jaws, circle trips, etc.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By default, it is one-way per award - so there really is not a thing called OJ, because when you start from another city, you have another award, INDEPENDENT from what the first award is.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:08 am

I have an AA award on hold and it contains Alaska flights (NY-CLT-PIT on AA, PIT-SEA on Alaska).

Due to the weather in the northeast and Seattle I am unsure if I really want to go. The trip is tomorrow and the award hold expires 2 hours before the flight so I have time to see the weather in the morning. It also gives me the ability to see if the Alaska aircraft actually leaves Seattle for PIT so it can return to Seattle. It is a 3 day trip so if there are significant delays I will not go.

What got me nervous is the line from AA when making the reservation that says "partner awards need to be confirmed". Should I be worried? Do Alaska flights on hold sometimes not ticket, especially extremely close in bookings?

Also, if I ticket it and flights get cancelled and I do not take the trip, do I get the $75 close in reservation fee back?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mileshound
I have an AA award on hold and it contains Alaska flights (NY-CLT-PIT on AA, PIT-SEA on Alaska).

Due to the weather in the northeast and Seattle I am unsure if I really want to go. The trip is tomorrow and the award hold expires 2 hours before the flight so I have time to see the weather in the morning. It also gives me the ability to see if the Alaska aircraft actually leaves Seattle for PIT so it can return to Seattle. It is a 3 day trip so if there are significant delays I will not go.

What got me nervous is the line from AA when making the reservation that says "partner awards need to be confirmed". Should I be worried? Do Alaska flights on hold sometimes not ticket, especially extremely close in bookings?

Also, if I ticket it and flights get cancelled and I do not take the trip, do I get the $75 close in reservation fee back?
You have nothing to worry about with an award involving AS, if you decide to go just book it and it should ticket a few mins later. The "partner awards need to be confirmed" language is more relevant for some of AA's foreign partners where it can sometimes take over 24 hrs for an award to ticket. As to the $75 close in fee, I doubt that would be refundable, although aa.com doesn't say one way or the other. YMMV.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hello all,

I am trying to book a trip on Cathay Pacific through AAdvantage. It would route SFO-CAN-SIN-SFO. Appears to have layovers in HKG on all trips. After calling it I was told it would be 92,500 with $130.03 for taxes and fees. I wanted to see if anyone has any insights on getting the trip for cheaper. Thanks!
On international awards, you can have connections up to 23:59. Anything longer than that requires two awards. See the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do the routing rules in the wiki apply to partners, or just AA?

The reason that I ask is that my friend recently booked an award flight to India (found 3 in J actually, for him, his wife, and his kid). He booked it on CX (SFO-HKG-BOM) using AA miles, as a single award per passenger (210k miles for all 3)

Doesn't this violate the routing rules for India? Specifically (from the wiki)

Travel to Europe, Africa and the Indian Sub-Continent/Middle East must be via the Atlantic only.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Do the routing rules in the wiki apply to partners, or just AA?

The reason that I ask is that my friend recently booked an award flight to India (found 3 in J actually, for him, his wife, and his kid). He booked it on CX (SFO-HKG-BOM) using AA miles, as a single award per passenger (210k miles for all 3)

Doesn't this violate the routing rules for India? Specifically (from the wiki)
No, there's an exception via the Pacific for CX via HKG to India.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
No, there's an exception via the Pacific for CX via HKG to India.
Should that be in the wiki? Is it? (I've read it over several times and didn't see it -- am I just missing it?)
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should that be in the wiki? Is it? (I've read it over several times and didn't see it -- am I just missing it?)
It IS in the Wiki, right under the initial Exception Table by JonNYC. You just miss it because the Wiki is not very organized. Here they are - Via HKG on CX has been allowed before that, and then MH & 9W were added Nov 2016.

HOWEVER 9W most likely is no longer the case though given it is more like a partner of DL and we lost the 9W AMS-YYZ route that was almost always available for EU-North America when everything else failed (other than BA or even BA failed). It is a big loss.

Latest changes:
  • As of Aug 2017, Connections are limited to two connections / three flight segments for domestic awards, and three connections / four flight segments for international awards. Link
  • Nov 2016: MH and 9W can now be used on AA or CX transpacific awards to India subcontinent via HKG in addition to CX
  • May 6, 2016: Regions split (Indian Subcontinent, Middle East)
  • Jet Airways discontinued EWR-BRU as of 27 March 2016.
  • As of 7 April 2014, the "free stopover" discussed can no longer be used as free award stopovers at international North American gateways have been eliminated.
  • Airlines are normally precluded from writing tickets with more than 16 segments.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see that now, thanks. But it still seems like it should be in the "connecting via a third region" exception table as well.

Would it be correct to add

North America to/from Indian Sub Continent can connect in HKG if connecting AA-CX, CX-AA, or CX-CX

below

North America to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe

(I don't want to add it unless I'm sure it's accurate)
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see that now, thanks. But it still seems like it should be in the "connecting via a third region" exception table as well.

Would it be correct to add

North America to/from Indian Sub Continent can connect in HKG if connecting AA-CX, CX-AA, or CX-CX

below

North America to/from Indian Sub Continent/Middle East can connect in Europe

(I don't want to add it unless I'm sure it's accurate)
You have to understand, the Wiki is maintained by members on voluntary efforts, unless there are members who took it upon themselves and are dedicated to such efforts, such as in the Citi AA card thread, and threads in Marriott / Hilton - just off the top of my head, most other Wikis on the FT forum are just very loosely kept.

The table is a DIRECT copy from JonNYC's own website long time ago. Anyone has followed AA forum long enough, would not mess anything JonNYC posted...
Therefore you see those later changes being added below, and in fact, 9W info should be outdated but it is still there...

Bottom line, the Wiki is a guide, and the Q&A in the thread itself is where you read and learn.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure why you would not correct information that is outdated (or more accurately in this case, add new information in order to keep things up to date)

Occasionally moderators will put notes and instructions not to edit. This is not such a case.

I'm looking for validation that it's correct before I add it, though. Adding incorrect information is definitely not helpful. As it is, the wiki is wrong.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Just as a data point. It took a good long while for my non-codeshare Etihad flights to credit to my AA account. It was about 55 days after the outgoing flight and 40 days after the return. They say to wait 30 days before asking for miles credit. I was going to get around to it some day but luckily the miles finally, belatedly showed up.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:52 pm

Question

Hello Everyone,

Could you confirm if Central America to Asian Zone 2 (SJO-MAD-HKG) requires two awards or just only one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.