Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions
Upgrade peculiarities and anomalies through 16 Oct / prior to CSS / PSS merger
Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

See Elite status benefits" on aa.com, in particular upgrade benefits on AA and US by status.

"Our combined loyalty program" on aa.com. In particular:

Upgrades

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Learn more about elite upgrades

To make sure you’re eligible for elite upgrades, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline – either US Airways or American. If you’re booked on a codeshare flight, you’ll only be able to upgrade when you check in, and as always, upgrades are based on availability.

To summarize:
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + AA operated = OK
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + US operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + AA operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on US.com + AA flight number + AA operated = Impossible, no AA-marketed flights sold on US.com

How to book flights marketed and operated by the same airline

See the Major Merger Updated >13 March thread for upgrades updates: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dates-etc.html (full cross-airline upgrade compatibility will occur "later this year" when the SHARES PSS has been merged into Sabre. [/hl]Until then AA and US recommend not booking each other's codeshares with intent to upgrade.[/hl]

This is the merged, master thread about securing upgrades in the "merged AA but still operating as separate airlines" when flying with mixed ticketing, the "other" airline than the one with the flyer's frequent flyer program or status, etc. As it is a merged thread, there may be some thread discontinuity; we apologise for any difficulties.

The information below reflects the wiki in AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Thanks to FT member ashill for valuable contributions to this wiki.

Print Wikipost

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:54 am

Booked AA Flight thru US Airways - No Upgrade Option

I booked an AA flight (Philly to Dallas) through the US Airways website (cheaper), picked my seats but was not offered the opportunity to request upgrade using my 500 miles stickers.

Subsequent trips to both websites referred me back to the other when I try change seats. I called both desks, and they referred me back to each other. An AA agent told me at check in I would be prompted (somehow) to request upgrade.

I received an email from US Airways reminding me check in, redirected to AA for check-in, nothing about upgrade (this was at 24 hour mark). Called AA again, and the agent told me since it was a US Airways flight no dice n 500 mile stickers. I reminded me it was a AA flight for real, his response was - but marketed through US Airways. Told to check in with agent at airport.

So, is there any hope of getting on any upgrade list with a reasonable chance of clearing? I'm Gold on AA, and have enough stickers? Also, traveling with a non-status companion. I realize the upgrade list is dependent on other factors as well, just curious if I am even eligible at this point.

TIA
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Op, are you seeing upgrade available right now? To be honest, I wouldn't count too much on an upgrade clearing for gold on this route anyway(of course it also depends a lot on the day and time of the flight)
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mrChett
I booked an AA flight (Philly to Dallas) through the US Airways website (cheaper), picked my seats but was not offered the opportunity to request upgrade using my 500 miles stickers.

Subsequent trips to both websites referred me back to the other when I try change seats. I called both desks, and they referred me back to each other. An AA agent told me at check in I would be prompted (somehow) to request upgrade.

I received an email from US Airways reminding me check in, redirected to AA for check-in, nothing about upgrade (this was at 24 hour mark). Called AA again, and the agent told me since it was a US Airways flight no dice n 500 mile stickers. I reminded me it was a AA flight for real, his response was - but marketed through US Airways. Told to check in with agent at airport.

So, is there any hope of getting on any upgrade list with a reasonable chance of clearing? I'm Gold on AA, and have enough stickers? Also, traveling with a non-status companion. I realize the upgrade list is dependent on other factors as well, just curious if I am even eligible at this point.

TIA
You're eligible but my understanding is if it hasn't cleared at check-in, you have to continue to go through the check-in process to see if the upgrade becomes available.

Per AA.com:

◾During or after check-in on aa.com, use the Choose (Change) seats link to check for upgrades.
◾If you're not offered an upgrade, you'll be directed to the seat map where you can change your seat

This seems very similar to how US is, or how you can jump the upgrade list if a seat opens up. Though I'd imagine AA is pretty automated if they open up the inventory its going to go to the first person on the list.

Usually at this point, the list will go under airport control and you will have to try and have them manually add you to the list. But hub-to-hub, lower tier Elite and trying for a companion upgrade as well is probably not going to happen....not trying to be a downer but in situations like this I would try and find the best seats in Y and just not even sweat it....the process of trying to add yourself to the list becomes more hassle than its worth.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, it's not where you buy, but what you buy. If you book a "prime" flight (AA flight number and AA operated or US flight number and US operated), then the early upgrade is possible. If you book a codeshare, then T-24 is your best bet. At least for this last month.
This.

The "prime" term is used by AA and US agents as well.

I was on a 001 ticket (sold by AA) for two US opereated flights and I was flying them as US flight numbers. (Hence 'prime'). They cleared about t-72. However I was at an AA loungue (in CLT) at exactly t-72 and an agent there handled it. I have zero confidence in flying US. Only a few more weeks...

The lack of clarity from agents, even EXP/CK agents, has been dissapointing.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:13 am

Pushed back from US website to AA, no upgrade options. Oh well. It's a 5:30 AM flight, so will probably sleep anyway.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I have zero confidence in flying US. Only a few more weeks...
Some of us have no confidence in flying AA. Unfortunately it will be more than a few weeks before pmUS Operations and IT staff "innovate" AA processes.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by mrChett

TIA
I fly lots of US flights on AA tickets. While I haven't done it with stickers (mostly under 500), the method I have found to work is:
1. Log in to US w/ my aadvantage info.
2. Log in to AA in another tab, so I'm logged in on both sites at the same time
3. Go to OLCI on AA, which then redirects me to US.
4. Now enter info for OLCI on US.

This method lets me request the upgrade. I have had trouble if I'm not logged in to both sites when I start. Don't try to OLCI until logged in to both.

Maybe it's different with stickers, but my sub 500 upgrade requests work this way. I get ridiculous answers from CSRs, having been told that I am just not eligible. Poppycock! Maybe this will work in reverse for you.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I am an AA Platinum. the 72 hour window is bizarre to me. I was a US Airways Gold. When the 3 day window hit you got a yes or no on the upgrade. With AA if you don't get it you hear nothing. Yet I am looking at all the way until almost 24 hours before departure there are still 5 seats to sell. Why are they waiting so long? Why not just clear the Platinum (or EP if they are waiting as well)? I know they want to hold seats to sell but having 5 open a day out (out of 16) seems ridiculous and making this waiting /guessing game a joke. Is this common? how often to they hold and hold until the last second? this is an AA ticket, no code share.

when I try to check in at the 24 hour mark - (gotta set an alarm like Southwest, this is stupid) then I am hoping they will allow me to be upgraded at check in. Why do they play these games? I could see it if there were 1 or 2, but 5?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cporcelli78
I am an AA Platinum. the 72 hour window is bizarre to me. I was a US Airways Gold. When the 3 day window hit you got a yes or no on the upgrade. With AA if you don't get it you hear nothing. Yet I am looking at all the way until almost 24 hours before departure there are still 5 seats to sell. Why are they waiting so long? Why not just clear the Platinum (or EP if they are waiting as well)? I know they want to hold seats to sell but having 5 open a day out (out of 16) seems ridiculous and making this waiting /guessing game a joke. Is this common? how often to they hold and hold until the last second? this is an AA ticket, no code share.

when I try to check in at the 24 hour mark - (gotta set an alarm like Southwest, this is stupid) then I am hoping they will allow me to be upgraded at check in. Why do they play these games? I could see it if there were 1 or 2, but 5?
AA used to clear upgrades much farther out pre-merger in my experience. Now it seems they hold things back until around T-4 pretty routinely, even with MANY seats still open/for sale. Then, all of a sudden before pushback the F cabin will be full. Very odd, seems like there's some Shena going on there.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Available seats for sale is not a good indicator how many seats are available for upgrade. They will offer more seats for sale hoping/expecting a few no shows. However, they will not upgrade someone unless the seat is actually open. Also seat maps are notoriously bad for trying to determining what's available as some may have a ticket buy have yet to get a seat assignment.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:56 am

I do understand from AA's revenue maximization prospective. They will only clear an upgrade if they're absolutely certain with 200% certainty that they won't be able to sell/allocate that seat otherwise. Keep in mind holding seats could also be helpful for a pax in case of a misconnect/cancellation. You'll certainly appreciate it when you're in their shoes.

I've also purchased 5 F seats 3days out before(sorry for those who requested an UG on that flight)
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Available seats for sale is not a good indicator how many seats are available for upgrade. They will offer more seats for sale hoping/expecting a few no shows.
American over sells First and Business?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:02 am

Available seats for sale is not a good indicator how many seats are available for upgrade. They will offer more seats for sale hoping/expecting a few no shows. However, they will not upgrade someone unless the seat is actually open. Also seat maps are notoriously bad for trying to determining what's available as some may have a ticket buy have yet to get a seat assignment.
Originally Posted by Segments
American over sells First and Business?
I was just gonna say. I don't think that's the case
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA: EXP
I have an international US flight booked as an AA codeshare for Saturday (stupid move on my part, I know).

The flight currently shows 1 seat open in C class on EF. Is there any chance I can apply an SWU to this flight? Or is it potentially possible to use SWU at check in for flight if seats are available, even at check in?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:51 pm
SST

Same situation here, Silanfa. And no, nobody outside the U.S. even knows how to use a systemwide. But they added to the insult: they told me I was added to the domestic leg upgrade when I returned to the US and that there was a seat for me. However, on arriving back in the US, not only no upgrade but I wasn't even on the upgrade list! Oh and the seat I was promised in Europe--- gone. Incompetents.

10/17 can't come fast enough. However, I expect this baloney to linger, much as it did for UA/CO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.