Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions
Upgrade peculiarities and anomalies through 16 Oct / prior to CSS / PSS merger
Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

See Elite status benefits" on aa.com, in particular upgrade benefits on AA and US by status.

"Our combined loyalty program" on aa.com. In particular:

Upgrades

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Learn more about elite upgrades

To make sure you’re eligible for elite upgrades, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline – either US Airways or American. If you’re booked on a codeshare flight, you’ll only be able to upgrade when you check in, and as always, upgrades are based on availability.

To summarize:
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + AA operated = OK
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + US operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + AA operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on US.com + AA flight number + AA operated = Impossible, no AA-marketed flights sold on US.com

How to book flights marketed and operated by the same airline

See the Major Merger Updated >13 March thread for upgrades updates: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dates-etc.html (full cross-airline upgrade compatibility will occur "later this year" when the SHARES PSS has been merged into Sabre. [/hl]Until then AA and US recommend not booking each other's codeshares with intent to upgrade.[/hl]

This is the merged, master thread about securing upgrades in the "merged AA but still operating as separate airlines" when flying with mixed ticketing, the "other" airline than the one with the flyer's frequent flyer program or status, etc. As it is a merged thread, there may be some thread discontinuity; we apologise for any difficulties.

The information below reflects the wiki in AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Thanks to FT member ashill for valuable contributions to this wiki.

Print Wikipost

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriot Platinum
Using DM to upgrade on AA metal

Okay, can't seem to find this answer. So I am a US Gold and I'd like to upgrade on an AA metal flight with DM.

1. Can I do this?

2. How?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by northernlights1
Okay, can't seem to find this answer. So I am a US Gold and I'd like to upgrade on an AA metal flight with DM.

1. Can I do this?
No.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:50 pm

No combination of points and cash either? I am not looking for a courtesy upgrade...
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
No combination of points and cash either? I am not looking for a courtesy upgrade...
Not yet but soon you should be able to do it. With the addition into one world, this should be happening shortly.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:28 am

Flew out of BCN, went to ticketing and they put me on the waitlist. And I cleared. Main thing is you are at the mercy of having seats open the same day.

Had a US stock ticket, operated by AA.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread title has been updated slightly.

~Moderator
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I am as frustrated as you are -- but no, there's no way to use US miles in any way to upgrade an AA metal flight. If it's on AA ticket stock, you can use AA miles; otherwise, you can hope for a cash upgrade the day of travel.

Originally Posted by 1KHI
Not yet but soon you should be able to do it. With the addition into one world, this should be happening shortly.
I've seen nothing to suggest they're on a tight timeline for this.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: US Airways, Hilton, Marriott
I have been able to upgrade by buying 500 mile upgrade certificates for around $35 dollars. Not sure if it is supposed to happen, but I have done it on more than one occasion.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I asked about this at the US DCA club and they said it is coming soon for both airlines' elites……they didn't give me a definite date/timeframe though.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
US Miles for upgrades will only work on US Metal, just as AA Miles for upgrades will only work on AA Metal. Now if you want to book a flight (i.e. all miles no cash) you can do US Miles with AA/US Codeshare ...

This came from the US CP line last week.

+-ADT
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by tegelad
US Miles for upgrades will only work on US Metal, just as AA Miles for upgrades will only work on AA Metal. Now if you want to book a flight (i.e. all miles no cash) you can do US Miles with AA/US Codeshare ...

This came from the US CP line last week.

+-ADT
I'm not even sure what codeshare even means in this "unified but separate" American. Most of the US flights don't show up on the AA side and vice versa. Both sides still appear to be "competing" for routes. So even if I wanted to book AA metal on the US side I have a limited options...
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Pucnit
The only upgrades that I have heard working are: domestically - open seats on US Air and AA for Chairman's & EXP if there are no upgrades being requested.
I think these are few and far between.

Was on a AA operated flight last week, went out with 4 empty F seats. I know that there were at least 4 other CPs on the plane with me, and a standby list that hadn't cleared. So instead of upgrading 4 CPs to those seats, and processing 4 standbys, those seats just went out empty.

I've flown 9 AA operated flights in the past few weeks, and almost every time I politely ask about being upgraded. The answer is always "not yet", empty F seats or not.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hginPHL
Originally Posted by Pucnit
The only upgrades that I have heard working are: domestically - open seats on US Air and AA for Chairman's & EXP if there are no upgrades being requested.
I think these are few and far between.

Was on a AA operated flight last week, went out with 4 empty F seats. I know that there were at least 4 other CPs on the plane with me, and a standby list that hadn't cleared. So instead of upgrading 4 CPs to those seats, and processing 4 standbys, those seats just went out empty.

I've flown 9 AA operated flights in the past few weeks, and almost every time I politely ask about being upgraded. The answer is always "not yet", empty F seats or not.
This morning DFW-PHX had multiple F seats open after door close on US metsl. FA came back and grabbed a nonreving FA in front of me and she got a seat. I got a crappy hard product in Y that makes an ERJ feel comfy.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Not Yet

Was tempted to buy a great USAir E fare LAX-PHL-MAD this morning but called AA & asked if SWU's could be applied to US flights. Sadly answer was "No, not yet". AA fare was double what US was charging.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:24 am

AAdvantage vs Dividend Miles automatic upgrades

From what I can gather, AAdvantage only offers complimentary automatic upgrades to business or first to EXP on any fare. Gold and Plat must be on full fare tickets to be eligible for a free upgrade.

Dividend Miles automatically upgrades any elite level at any fare level but prioritize by elite status.

Is that accurate? That's crazy that my co-workers who use Dividend Miles get upgraded to first pretty consistently but I won't because I'm AAdvantage. Just want to make sure I understand this right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.