Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions
Upgrade peculiarities and anomalies through 16 Oct / prior to CSS / PSS merger
Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

See Elite status benefits" on aa.com, in particular upgrade benefits on AA and US by status.

"Our combined loyalty program" on aa.com. In particular:

Upgrades

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Learn more about elite upgrades

To make sure you’re eligible for elite upgrades, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline – either US Airways or American. If you’re booked on a codeshare flight, you’ll only be able to upgrade when you check in, and as always, upgrades are based on availability.

To summarize:
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + AA operated = OK
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + US operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + AA operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on US.com + AA flight number + AA operated = Impossible, no AA-marketed flights sold on US.com

How to book flights marketed and operated by the same airline

See the Major Merger Updated >13 March thread for upgrades updates: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dates-etc.html (full cross-airline upgrade compatibility will occur "later this year" when the SHARES PSS has been merged into Sabre. [/hl]Until then AA and US recommend not booking each other's codeshares with intent to upgrade.[/hl]

This is the merged, master thread about securing upgrades in the "merged AA but still operating as separate airlines" when flying with mixed ticketing, the "other" airline than the one with the flyer's frequent flyer program or status, etc. As it is a merged thread, there may be some thread discontinuity; we apologise for any difficulties.

The information below reflects the wiki in AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Thanks to FT member ashill for valuable contributions to this wiki.

Print Wikipost

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, Admiral's Club
I fly a lot up to the East coast from DFW (PHL, BOS, EWR, CLT, DCA) as well as out west (LAX, PSP, OCW, SNA) and I've noticed something that angers me. I have to book through an Amex site and the AA operated by US/US operated by AA are way cheaper than AA operated by AA. I have 4 February flights and haven't been able to use up my SWUs that I earned last year. This sucks. My buddies will be getting some last minute SWUs as well as my wife's co-workers.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by flyingchief
I fly a lot up to the East coast from DFW (PHL, BOS, EWR, CLT, DCA) as well as out west (LAX, PSP, OCW, SNA) and I've noticed something that angers me. I have to book through an Amex site and the AA operated by US/US operated by AA are way cheaper than AA operated by AA. I have 4 February flights and haven't been able to use up my SWUs that I earned last year. This sucks. My buddies will be getting some last minute SWUs as well as my wife's co-workers.
That's often the problem with code shares, the codeshare partner seats are cheaper than those of the actual flight operating airline. My friend just bought a return transcon on AC metal but through the UA site with UA flight numbers and paid half what he'd pay booking on the AC site for the same flights...and this was a P-class business booking that came out less than AC was selling for economy on the same flights!

So it's something we're going to have to live with for another year until all flights become The New AA flights, and not old AA and old US code shares.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, Admiral's Club
Great. Thx, for reply. It's like AA/US and my employer have all merged to create a new "Bone Us" plan for their customers/employees.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Originally Posted by greyguy1
New to AA.

Tomorrow flying BCN-JFK-SAN-DFW on flights ticketed by US.
Operated by and flight numbers are AA.

Gold status with AA, emerald with BA.

Any benefit putting BA FF number instead of AA?
What are my paid upgrade options?
If buying an upgrade at airport do you get cabin bonus, etc. if crediting to AA?

I have already picked my MCE seats free.

Thanks in advance for your time!
As a One World Emerald, you would get use the Admiral clubs and other benefits.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Well, that didn't work.

Purchased on aa.com, used my AA number, AA metal out and US metal return. I decided not to upgrade the outbound, so I had the ticket agent swap out my AA number for my US number before flying the outbound. The flight immediately vanished from my account on aa.com and appeared on usairways.com.

But a few hours later, I got a "Your First Class Upgrade Status" email from US saying "Complimentary Upgrades Not Offered". When I called, after a few excuses that didn't apply to my circumstance, they said it wasn't eligible for an upgade because it was on AA ticket stock, not US.

Does that sound correct? I'm US elite flying on US metal, yet it's not upgradable because AA issued the ticket?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
Yes that is correct.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I checked in online last night for my return flight today, as noted this is US metal on AA ticket stock as a US elite. When I clicked the "change seats" button, the website indicated "upgrades are available". There was a line showing the price, but when I selected a seat in F, it stayed at $0. So I took the upgrade, completed check-in, and have my row 3 boarding pass.

So I'm confused. Satisfied, but confused.

As best as I can determine, this may be a US "GoFirst" inside-24-hours time-of-check-in upgrade that's offered on a paid basis when F seats are still available. These don't seem to be restricted to US-marketed/issued tickets. But apparently it saw I was US Silver and priced the upgrade at $0. Is that what happened?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
In this use case, the only way that this would work is if you had AA miles in your account. You would have to change the AA Flights (temporarily) to your AA account, use miles and pay the copay to upgrade, and once confirmed change the flight back to your US FF#.

Serious PiTA .... but it is what it is ....

+-ADT
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by swag
I checked in online last night for my return flight today, as noted this is US metal on AA ticket stock as a US elite. When I clicked the "change seats" button, the website indicated "upgrades are available". There was a line showing the price, but when I selected a seat in F, it stayed at $0. So I took the upgrade, completed check-in, and have my row 3 boarding pass.

So I'm confused. Satisfied, but confused.

As best as I can determine, this may be a US "GoFirst" inside-24-hours time-of-check-in upgrade that's offered on a paid basis when F seats are still available. These don't seem to be restricted to US-marketed/issued tickets. But apparently it saw I was US Silver and priced the upgrade at $0. Is that what happened?
This is akin to the old United rule which was UA ticketed US operated was not eligible for upgrade prior to checkin for any US elite. So it appears that AA coded, US operated is following the old rule.

Safe Travels
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Platinum/HH Diamond/AVIS First
Originally Posted by swag
Well, that didn't work.

Purchased on aa.com, used my AA number, AA metal out and US metal return. I decided not to upgrade the outbound, so I had the ticket agent swap out my AA number for my US number before flying the outbound. The flight immediately vanished from my account on aa.com and appeared on usairways.com.

But a few hours later, I got a "Your First Class Upgrade Status" email from US saying "Complimentary Upgrades Not Offered". When I called, after a few excuses that didn't apply to my circumstance, they said it wasn't eligible for an upgade because it was on AA ticket stock, not US.

Does that sound correct? I'm US elite flying on US metal, yet it's not upgradable because AA issued the ticket?
Booked via my company's travel agent AA code share on US metal, as it is cheaper vs if you book it with US airways. My initial understanding was it would still be upgradable since it is in US Airways metal and I am CP. After i booked I checked online and saw that the the segment with the AA codeshare says "not eligible for upgrade". I booked 2 itineraries and each has an AA codeshare segment (4-hour plus flight). It became more confusing when I started calling both airlines, AA said it should be upgradable, US said nope, it is not eligible for upgrade and I spoke to 3 different agents from each airline.

Anyway, on both instances, I was settled on my exit row seat, gate agent approached handing over the first class boarding pass.

So..looks like as a US Air preferred booking AA codeshare on a US Metal, you are not eligible for upgrade within the upgrade window but will be upgraded if FC is available at last minute - at least my experience.

By the way, when you checked in 24 hours before, it does allow you to be waitlisted.

At this very moment, I am actually on one of those flights...just finished my carrot cake and ready for my third jack and coke.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:33 pm

Anyone succesful with AA operated US marketed & ticketed upgrade with SWU / eVIP?

Hi,
Ticket is us airways, flight operated by AA. BCN-MIA
Have AA record locator, AA metal and shows like AA flight.
Did anyone succeed in upgrading one of these scenarios at the airport or with the EXP desk?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Did you call AA? I know I'm curious to know the answer to this one.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
You should be able to do it at the airport, at least that has been my experience, but mine was ex-USA in the AA lounge once I already had my AA boarding pass.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:49 am

I did call AA. They said no way.

I assume at the airport there is more chances in getting that done. I mean you have AA flight numbers, AA record locator and at check in asking to apply an EVIP might make sense.

Where did your wife check in?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Business upgrade question

Hey everyone.

I fly around 175K miles a year, all internationally.
Now with US airways in the picture I can fly give or take direct flights so I would count them in.
I'm on UA (1K) and the deal with UA is once you reach 100K you will get 6 upgrades for international long haul flights, for every 50K after that you get an additional 2. So I get 8 upgrades a year.
when I do use the upgrades it's about 85% to get upgraded.
Upgrades can be used on almost all fares but a few very low ones. T K S etc.

What's the policy for upgrades with AA ( I almost do not care about anything else)?
Also, how's the business class on US airways compared with UA?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.