Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Solving the AA/US gate situation at ATL?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Solving the AA/US gate situation at ATL?

Currently, at ATL, American flights are at Concourse T, while US Airways flights are at Concourse D. Obviously there isn't enough space at ATL to consolidate at one concourse using either the existing AA or US gates.

So, how will the gate situation be solved at ATL for AA and US?

Here are some things that make things even more difficult for AA and US:
  • Obviously Delta won't give up its T gates since they can handle widebodies. In addition, Delta has in recent years been using the T gates for its O&D heavy flights, and I highly doubt DL is willing to take away that convenience for its loyal FFs who live in the Atlanta area.
  • United has already announced plans to consolidate all of its operations at Concourse T well before the AA/US merger, with two new gates currently under construction that can either handle four narrowbodies, or three narrowbodies and two RJs. Obviously UA won't be moving to Concourse D because of this.

So, AA only has two options: either continue the split operation, or consolidate at Concourse D. If AA decides to consolidate at Concourse D, perhaps AA can take either the UA D gates while keeping the US D gates, or AA and DL could do a gate swap where DL gives up some gates in D in exchange for AA's T gates (again, with AA keeping the existing US D gates). I have heard that the City of Atlanta plans on converting UA's D gates into CUTE gates, so perhaps the latter option may be more likely.

What does anyone here think?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
It is partly solved by discontinuing the LaGuardia flights, which was announced about an hour ago.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Based on the announcement about DCA/LGA there are only going to be 6 destinations from ATL for US/AA:

DFW, CLT, PHL, PHX, ORD, and MIA

So the number of gates needed will be going down substantially. Especially since on a quick check it looks like LGA - ATL is currently 7x a day. With those eliminated they can may be able to consolidate to one concourse using existing gates (assuming they aren't increasing frequencies to other places in lieu of LGA - ATL) or having to swap just one or two gates maximum

Last edited by Duke787; Jan 15, 2014 at 4:14 pm Reason: forgot Miami
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Based on the announcement about DCA/LGA there are only going to be 5 destinations from ATL for US/AA:

DFW, CLT, PHL, PHX, and ORD
Miami?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Is there still an Admiral's Club in T? There was 2 years ago, this could have an impact on which gates are used by US/AA.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA CK
Originally Posted by outwrdbound
Is there still an Admiral's Club in T? There was 2 years ago, this could have an impact on which gates are used by US/AA.
The Admiral's Club is still in T. usually quiet and one of my favorite.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by outwrdbound
The T real estate is worth more to DL than it is to AA. I would certainly assume AA moves out to D via some swapping with DL, and DL kicks in some compensation for the Admirals Club.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
Originally Posted by exwannabe
The T real estate is worth more to DL than it is to AA. I would certainly assume AA moves out to D via some swapping with DL, and DL kicks in some compensation for the Admirals Club.
There's a United Club in concourse D. One solution would be to swap club spaces as well. I'd much rather have AA at T gates because they're 8-10 minutes closer to checkin, though.

Interestingly, the bid document for the Concourse T expansion states "4 gates for AA and 5 gates for UA". See page 23 of http://www.atlantaga.gov/modules/sho...cumentid=11971

So maybe my wish will remain true.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
I don't know what the future holds... but last night I came in to ATL on US from CLT, and we parked at E34. The adjacent gate already had another US plane parked there. I've never come in to anywhere but D21/23/25 on US before. Maybe its just temporary on account of the construction at D concourse, or maybe a hint of what is to come...

Given the ridiculous overcrowding around the gates in D I'd welcome a move to E.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
AA has an AC in T (which is right next to the security checkpoint). They are dropping service to LGA. They utilize 4 gates in the terminal. Why would they move to D?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Camarones
I don't know what the future holds... but last night I came in to ATL on US from CLT, and we parked at E34. The adjacent gate already had another US plane parked there. I've never come in to anywhere but D21/23/25 on US before. Maybe its just temporary on account of the construction at D concourse, or maybe a hint of what is to come...

Given the ridiculous overcrowding around the gates in D I'd welcome a move to E.
The E gates are CUTE gates owned by the City of Atlanta, which means anyone can technically use them. I heard that the City of Atlanta plans on taking over UA's D gates once they move all flights to T and making them CUTE gates as well.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA:Platinum, HH:Diamond, SPG:Gold, Hertz:FS
I hope they stay in T. I like not having to catch the train.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by byroshi
The Admiral's Club is still in T. usually quiet and one of my favorite.
I agree.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: None
What's being discussed is possibly one of those situations where there's no quick and easy fix. Changing gates dependent on another carrier also moving is a multiphase process. Usually the carrier needing more gates stops using some gates so they can be refurbished/decorated for the carrier that will be occupying them. Once done, that carrier moves and the new unused gates are refurbished/decorated for the carrier that will be occupying them. Repeat this process multiple times if a couple of gates have to be redone before the next couple of gates even start being redone.

Jim
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, UA - resigned in protest, Marriott - Platinum, Pepsi - Platinum, TSA One-Finger Saluter
+1 to AA staying in the T gates at ATL. AA has an awesome setup there: enter through the far-less crowded North Security entrance, turn left and walk to either the AC (which is a fantastic one, btw) or your gate. No train, no security chaos, no drama. Some of the best F service I've had has been on the DFW-ATL/ATL-DFW flights. During PDB or nuts service the flight attendants always get a chuckle out of me saying "I'd like to annoy the locals and have a Pepsi, please."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.