Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE of 2015-2019 posts on this topic.

For current thread, please see here.

AA operates non-status, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro combined call center as well as Executive Platinum, Concierge Key dedicated call centers.

Read on for alternatives

There can be several causes of lengthy call answering, among them irregular or off schedule operations (OSO / IROPS) caused by weather.

● Call wait times extend as OSO develop - storms, etc. particularly affecting hubs, which produce knock-on effects that may persist a day or two.

● You can see current AA travel policies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

● You can always check FlightStats current North America airport delays, for example, to see how things are - here.

● For other useful links, tools etc. see the wiki for AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread).

Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

● Others have called 1.800.222.2377 (web services) and had shorter response times.

● If you speak Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or use a TDD, you may get faster attention; see numbers below.

● You can try calling non-USA numbers, listed here:

bchandler42 reports "During weather events, the elite line will have the option to press 1 for the callback. I use that, longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes which was accurate with the expected time it gave me."

giblet called Thailand using Skype (2.3 cents a minute).

● There is one call-handling nexus, with prioritized lines for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status holders, and separate Executive Platinum and Concierge Key "desks". Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro callers are prioritized to be answered by the same agents that respond to non-status customers.

Code:
Telephone numbers for speakers of Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese:

English (Inglés)
 1-800-433-7300
 7 days a week

Japanese 1-800-237-0027
 6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT 7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese 1-800-492-8095
 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT Mon - Fri
 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT Sat and Sun

Spanish 1-800-633-3711 7 días a la semana

TDD 1-800-543-1586
 (for hearing impaired or deaf people /
 para personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla)
Link to archived previous posts in ARCHIVE: Long wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2014)
[/FONT]

"Transplanted from another post, for those affected overseas.

So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute), Google Hangouts or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.
Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype, Google Hangouts or other VOIP internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to USA airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware “Misery Map” (graphic representation of troubles on a USA map)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of involuntary reroute

Link to archive of this thread, posts 2015-2019

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jiaotze
Are you kidding? Wait times between 1 hour and 36 minutes and 1 hour and 58 minutes....on the EXP line?

Fortunately, nothing urgent and I can call back (I'm unable to do the callback since I'm using Skype), but boy is this lousy.
Over 2 hours for a callback on EXP. Wonder what non-elites have to endure. Need a rebook - UGH!!!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Are you kidding? Wait times between 1 hour and 36 minutes and 1 hour and 58 minutes....on the EXP line?

Fortunately, nothing urgent and I can call back (I'm unable to do the callback since I'm using Skype), but boy is this lousy.

Same experience earlier tonught..really lousy service..nothing urgent but do expect a bit more.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
DFW shows ground stop requested by AAL due to gate availability, looks like another fun WX day at DFW
Due to AAL REQUEST / GATE CAPACITY, there is a Traffic Management (Ground Stop) Program in effect for traffic arriving DFW. Click for more info.Due to AAL REQUEST / GATE CAPACITY, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Dallas/Ft Worth International Airport, Dallas-Ft Worth, TX (DFW). To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:55 pm
formerly smoaky

Absolutely useless this evening in DFW. Been using their Twitter account. Can't get through otherwise. Still screwed in the end. They respond but are helpless/suggest useless things. Though I think at this point it's gotten so bad they aren't even responding.

Last edited by nycflyer17; Jun 9, 2019 at 11:01 pm
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Recording just quoted 2 hour wait time. Guess I'll call back in the morning. Hope the award seat that I found but couldn't book online is still available then.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:18 am

Still 2+ hours hold times for EXP. You really have to wonder if anyone is even running this company.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingbrick
Still 2+ hours hold times for EXP. You really have to wonder if anyone is even running this company.
Or could it be that Dallas is still reeling from the unexpected and severe storm from yesterday that still has 268,000 people without power and already 75+ flights cancelled from DFW?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles

Or could it be that Dallas is still reeling from the unexpected and severe storm from yesterday that still has 268,000 people without power and already 75+ flights cancelled from DFW?
Maybe not having all of your call center operations for the US based in one city? Single sourcing has its risks. While I’m understanding of the weather in Dallas impacting employees, someone should recognize the business (should be able to) keep running even when DFW does not.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I will say that when I got my callback this morning, 1h14m after requesting it when quoted 1h45m, the agent I got was super helpful. I needed a human as all of the choices the website offered for rebooking were not going to work and thus was going to request a refund, the agent was clearly exhausted but still nice and she even refunded my return ticket (separate ticket, and it was an open-jaw) which was nice - she was not DFW based FWIW so it does seem they have operations outside DFW. I do not envy the wait times for non-elite or heck even non-EXP though and it does seem that AA lacks a plan other than "too bad so sad, make them wait" for operational issues which is just lame given its not like this year is the first time that DFW (where they picked their hub) has or will be impacted by summer storms. 100% guaranteed that next summer there will be WX issues during summer at DFW as well; perhaps they could start some planning additional staffing :/
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Segments

Maybe not having all of your call center operations for the US based in one city? Single sourcing has its risks. While I’m understanding of the weather in Dallas impacting employees, someone should recognize the business (should be able to) keep running even when DFW does not.
I don't think you quite get the point.

They have multiple call centers in various locations but when such a severe (and especially unexpected) weather event hits a major hub, there are going to be excessive hold times for the weather related calls and everybody else calling. They can try to bring in more people but you cant exactly force somebody that is off to come in to work. They’ll even implement mandatory overtime but that has its limits.

This is not something exclusive to AA either. You see the same happen at UA, DL, AS, etc when weather hits a hub
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold

Walking through LAX Terminal 4 on Sunday, June 9, at around 1:30pm, there must have been over 200 people in line for the Customer Service counter located across the hall from the T4 Admirals / Flagship lounge.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ryan182
Due to AAL REQUEST / GATE CAPACITY, there is a Traffic Management (Ground Stop) Program in effect for traffic arriving DFW. Click for more info.Due to AAL REQUEST / GATE CAPACITY, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Dallas/Ft Worth International Airport, Dallas-Ft Worth, TX (DFW). To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".
DFW shows ground stop requested by AAL due to gate availability, looks like another fun WX day at DFW
[/left]
Yep, and not much has changed. Massive delays, lots of knock off effects hitting other stations, lots of crew timing out. It’s a real mess; people on the scene are reporting aircraft awaiting gates more than an hour, lengthy delays, aircraft to DFW taking diversions to wait on the ground for clearance into DFW - but effects on the east coast. Add the beastly wx at MIA today. And

Both Newark and LaGuardia Airports are in a ground stop due to visibility and thunderstorms, according to the FAA.
If you don’t have to call AA today urgently, don’t. Try calling overseas numbers for AA. If you speak other languages, try the specific language numbers listed in the Wikipost. If your situation can be addressed by the Twitter team, DM them.

I don’t know if the OSO number in the Wikipost still works; that’s strictly an overload relief number staffed by extra employees for times like this, iirc. If you try it, please post whether it works or not.

●Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 10, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Do they ever answer the phone

Unfortunately, I have to phone in for my CX award ticket. When I placed the reservation, I was missing one piece of information that I was told to call back when I got it. Now I am calling at 0100 PST and I am getting the "we're really busy call back later click" reply after navigating voice mail. Is there a direct way to get a person? Or do they just close overnight?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Lots of IRROPS on East coast last night. Suspect they are still swamped at 0100 PST.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
I received a message yesterday about long wait times and the offer of a callback. Instead I held on and my call was answered in less than 2 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.