Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines

Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE of 2015-2019 posts on this topic.

For current thread, please see here.

AA operates non-status, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro combined call center as well as Executive Platinum, Concierge Key dedicated call centers.

Read on for alternatives

There can be several causes of lengthy call answering, among them irregular or off schedule operations (OSO / IROPS) caused by weather.

● Call wait times extend as OSO develop - storms, etc. particularly affecting hubs, which produce knock-on effects that may persist a day or two.

● You can see current AA travel policies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

● You can always check FlightStats current North America airport delays, for example, to see how things are - here.

● For other useful links, tools etc. see the wiki for AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread).

Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

● Others have called 1.800.222.2377 (web services) and had shorter response times.

● If you speak Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or use a TDD, you may get faster attention; see numbers below.

● You can try calling non-USA numbers, listed here:

bchandler42 reports "During weather events, the elite line will have the option to press 1 for the callback. I use that, longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes which was accurate with the expected time it gave me."

giblet called Thailand using Skype (2.3 cents a minute).

● There is one call-handling nexus, with prioritized lines for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status holders, and separate Executive Platinum and Concierge Key "desks". Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro callers are prioritized to be answered by the same agents that respond to non-status customers.

Code:
Telephone numbers for speakers of Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese:

English (Inglés)
 1-800-433-7300
 7 days a week

Japanese 1-800-237-0027
 6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT 7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese 1-800-492-8095
 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT Mon - Fri
 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT Sat and Sun

Spanish 1-800-633-3711 7 días a la semana

TDD 1-800-543-1586
 (for hearing impaired or deaf people /
 para personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla)
Link to archived previous posts in ARCHIVE: Long wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2014)
[/FONT]

"Transplanted from another post, for those affected overseas.

So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute), Google Hangouts or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.
Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype, Google Hangouts or other VOIP internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to USA airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware “Misery Map” (graphic representation of troubles on a USA map)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of involuntary reroute

Link to archive of this thread, posts 2015-2019

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines

Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nrr
This is 2018, AA (and other airlines) should have the capability of dealing with flt cancellations/disruptions via sophisticated programming (AI)--initially this may take time, but the rewards will be: no waits for phone agents and/or GAs.
[A different but related issue, re dealing with phone agents; I chose intl bc seats based on info gleaned from AAs seat maps and seat guru: for my solo "window" seats, did they (1)actually have a window, (2)did they face forward, (3)did they abut the window, (4)would toilets and/or galleys nearby present noise issues (5)does the plane configuration as listed on AA.COM match what seat guru thinks it is? There was no one source that had correct info for (1)-(5)...so had to call the exp line, wasting that agents time when she could deal with more pressing issues, like processing SWU upgrades, which also should be capable of automation...]
SeatBuru is next to useless at times. AA doesn’t seem to care much passengers might want seat information.

We have threads on each aircraft type, usually by cabin, seats here with members’ experiences. It’s easy to find links to the specific threads in the Wikipost at the top of the page here: HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc..
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:17 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
SeatBuru is next to useless at times. AA doesn’t seem to care much passengers might want seat information.

We have threads on each aircraft type, usually by cabin, seats here with members’ experiences. It’s easy to find links to the specific threads in the Wikipost at the top of the page here: HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc..
The point of part of my initial post is that AA give pax enough correct and detailed info re seating, so I won't have to waste phone agents time--but if they can't do something as simple as this, my expectation of a high level of AI to deal with flight delays and/or cancellations is 50 years off as far as AA is concerned
[Pax should not need FT to intelligently choose a seat, all the relevant info should be on aa.com seat maps.]
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I had to call in 2x for changes due to WX delays this afternoon. I'm an EP but was SHOCKED the system didn't offer to call me later when it's my turn. Both times the agents answered my call within ~15 seconds! 👍
I wasn’t in a rush, so waited until later this afternoon. It had calmed down quite considerably by then. All the weather mentioned, plus normal Monday morning traffic, and there ya go.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Have just given up for the third time on getting through to the ExPlat line. I'm mindful that it's 3 AM in Chicago, but in my experience, that usually makes it easier. Is there any system meltdown going on, or has Doug just cut down the overnight staff to skeleton service levels?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just woke up to find my flight to PHL delayed and the previous flight from RDU-PHL cancelled. I called AA for rebooking help and am being told the hold time is 12-17 minutes. For Saturday at 3:30 am this is a little absurd.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Just woke up to find my flight to PHL delayed and the previous flight from RDU-PHL cancelled. I called AA for rebooking help and am being told the hold time is 12-17 minutes. For Saturday at 3:30 am this is a little absurd.
Major delays at DFW yesterday into the night. E.g. AA50 was delayed 7+ hours. Rain/storm related.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
AA EXP desk is stating wait times of 37-45 mins.

No major WX I can see. Whats going on?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
38-46 minute wait as an EXP tonight. Not sure what it is, delay board looks pretty clear. Upcoming Northeast weather I guess...annoyingly I just need a BA Confirmation number off a combined routing.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Weather waivers throughout the Midwest and Northeast. I'm surprised the waits aren't longer.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
1:28 - 1:47 call back time for EXP line. Are the DFW t-storms to blame? I don't see any waivers posted.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
Yes, DFW Is a mess right now. Flights holding and diverting all over the place.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Thanks, TWAL10114Ever. Thankfully I'm at home and just need to request an upgrade, so no rush. If EXP is that backed up, what must the normal lines look like? Yikes.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Thanks, TWAL10114Ever. Thankfully I'm at home and just need to request an upgrade, so no rush. If EXP is that backed up, what must the normal lines look like? Yikes.
We're getting the "high call volumes... please call again later" message. No option to hold.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by AwardBee
We're getting the "high call volumes... please call again later" message. No option to hold.
I'm having the same issue. It's really annoying to not even be placed in a call queue.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
I'm having the same issue. It's really annoying to not even be placed in a call queue.
Finally got past the cheery "please try your call again later" message. This time I got offered a callback in 2 hours. I have a CX award hold that expires today and I'm quite glad I no longer want it because it would have been impossible to ticket it today with the call center being unavailable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.