Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA operates non-status, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro combined call center as well as Executive Platinum, Concierge Key dedicated call centers.

Read on for alternatives

There can be several causes of lengthy call answering, among them irregular or off schedule operations (OSO / IROPS) caused by weather.

● Call wait times extend as OSO develop - storms, etc. particularly affecting hubs, which produce knock-on effects that may persist a day or two.

● You can see current AA travel policies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

● You can always check FlightStats current North America airport delays, for example, to see how things are - here.

● For other useful links, tools etc. see the wiki for AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread).

● Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

● Others have called 1.800.222.2377 (web services) and had shorter response times.

● If you speak Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or use a TDD, you may get faster attention; see numbers below.

● You can try calling non-USA numbers, listed here:

● bchandler42 reports "During weather events, the elite line will have the option to press 1 for the callback. I use that, longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes which was accurate with the expected time it gave me."

● giblet called Thailand using Skype (2.3 cents a minute).

● There is one call-handling nexus, with prioritized lines for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status holders, and separate Executive Platinum and Concierge Key "desks". Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro callers are prioritized to be answered by the same agents that respond to non-status customers.

Code:
Telephone numbers for speakers of Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese:

English (Inglés)
1-800-433-7300
7 days a week

Japanese 1-800-237-0027
6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT 7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese 1-800-492-8095
8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT Mon - Fri
8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT Sat and Sun

Spanish 1-800-633-3711 7 días a la semana

TDD 1-800-543-1586
(for hearing impaired or deaf people /
para personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla)
Link to archived previous posts in ARCHIVE: Long wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2014) [/FONT]

"Transplanted from another post, for those affected overseas.

So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute), Google Hangouts or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.
Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype, Google Hangouts or other VOIP internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to USA airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware “Misery Map” (graphic representation of troubles on a USA map)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of involuntary reroute

Link to archive of this thread, posts 2015-2019

Print Wikipost

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by js1993
Isn't that supposed to happen regardless of which AA number one calls?
Makes sense that it does. I don't know personally - haven't ever tried.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I called yesterday at 5 PM and was quoted 1 hour 30 to 1 hour 45. AA finally called back after 2 hours and 36 minutes. I of course missed the calls.

Trying again now and the quote is 1 hour 7 minutes and 1 hour and 22 minutes.

Sure wish I could apply SWUs on the app...
Majuki, onanisland, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
Similar experience yesterday. Quoted 1 hour and six minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes (Exp). It was something like 1 hour 45 minutes. But I know they’re having to reschedule stuff touching FL. They got me straight.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
It should be a surprise, but as a datapoint for today, needed a last minute change done on my flight (<3h before departure)

EXP line 1h hold...
Australia line waited 10m and didn't get anyone
Called HK and pressed buttons for a Chinese rep (figured there probably aren't too many HK/China flights at the moment) and got someone in 6 mins.

so yeah. foreign language lines might be a good trick
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Quoted 48-58 minutes, answered at about 15 minutes. Longer than I would have had to wait on UA or AS.

Then, supposed EXP desk agent claimed I could not use a systemwide to go from paid J to F on JFK-SFO. I pushed back and asked him to apply it. Surprise, surprise, upgrade went through and I'm now in 3F. Good chance he messed up the ticket though, so we'll see what happens at JFK tomorrow night.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Quoted 48-58 minutes, answered at about 15 minutes. Longer than I would have had to wait on UA or AS.

Then, supposed EXP desk agent claimed I could not use a systemwide to go from paid J to F on JFK-SFO. I pushed back and asked him to apply it. Surprise, surprise, upgrade went through and I'm now in 3F. Good chance he messed up the ticket though, so we'll see what happens at JFK tomorrow night.
it took six calls to book the trip for our 50th wedding anniversary next year. I've never dealt with such poorly trained people any industry. I suspect they must have huge turnover.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by KansasMike
it took six calls to book the trip for our 50th wedding anniversary next year. I've never dealt with such poorly trained people any industry. I suspect they must have huge turnover.
... despite getting billions in Covid money precisely to keep current staff and staffing levels.

Horrendous, short-sighted management.
KansasMike likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
43-53 minute call back time for EXP. I called at 11:56am EST.

It’s nothing dire but I was a little surprised.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by onanisland
43-53 minute call back time for EXP. I called at 11:56am EST.

It’s nothing dire but I was a little surprised.
The last two times I've called (last Saturday, this Monday) but in the early evening I had similar waits and I was surprised too.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 4:43 pm

long wait times with no call back option

Wait time today was over 2 hours.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Canceled a simple award ticket (AA metal, booked online) last week and the miles weren't automatically redeposited. Twitter team sent it for redeposit, but several days later the miles still haven't showed up, and they gave up and asked me to call in. Got to an agent with no wait, but she ended up having to hold for her help desk for two full hours, after which I just gave up.

Absolutely unacceptable and reminds me one of the reasons why I quit AA several years ago in favor of UA. UA's IT is, for now, far superior to that of AA or DL. I've canceled dozens of UA-issued awards, and every single time the miles have been automatically and instantly redeposited, no matter how complex the award.
unitedbusiness and js1993 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Currently been on hold for the EXP line for 35m. I was quoted a 2 hour hold time but hopefully I'll get through sooner.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
What's up with the call times this week? I had to call in Wednesday night at around 11pm, and it took me almost two hours on hold until I reached an agent. She was excellent and got me all squared away quite quickly, but I was surprised the hold time was that long.

By comparison, when I called in to Delta last month the day before a big snow/ice storm slammed into the Upper Midwest, I only had to wait on hold for around 20 minutes to reach an agent. Granted, she wouldn't let me change my flight because they hadn't yet issued a waiver, but anyway...
Old Mar 11, 2023, 6:53 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by dkc192
Canceled a simple award ticket (AA metal, booked online) last week and the miles weren't automatically redeposited. Twitter team sent it for redeposit, but several days later the miles still haven't showed up, and they gave up and asked me to call in. Got to an agent with no wait, but she ended up having to hold for her help desk for two full hours, after which I just gave up.

Absolutely unacceptable and reminds me one of the reasons why I quit AA several years ago in favor of UA. UA's IT is, for now, far superior to that of AA or DL. I've canceled dozens of UA-issued awards, and every single time the miles have been automatically and instantly redeposited, no matter how complex the award.
smart moved… made the switch to UA as well and never looked back, not even for a second.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 4:33 am

Programs: AA Plat
What is with AA? I wait two hours for a call back, hold another 20 mintues. And when I get someone they say I have to speak to the Platinum Pro Desk and put me on hold again. Ridiculous!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.