Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA operates non-status, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro combined call center as well as Executive Platinum, Concierge Key dedicated call centers.

Read on for alternatives

There can be several causes of lengthy call answering, among them irregular or off schedule operations (OSO / IROPS) caused by weather.

● Call wait times extend as OSO develop - storms, etc. particularly affecting hubs, which produce knock-on effects that may persist a day or two.

● You can see current AA travel policies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

● You can always check FlightStats current North America airport delays, for example, to see how things are - here.

● For other useful links, tools etc. see the wiki for AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread).

● Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

● Others have called 1.800.222.2377 (web services) and had shorter response times.

● If you speak Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or use a TDD, you may get faster attention; see numbers below.

● You can try calling non-USA numbers, listed here:

● bchandler42 reports "During weather events, the elite line will have the option to press 1 for the callback. I use that, longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes which was accurate with the expected time it gave me."

● giblet called Thailand using Skype (2.3 cents a minute).

● There is one call-handling nexus, with prioritized lines for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status holders, and separate Executive Platinum and Concierge Key "desks". Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro callers are prioritized to be answered by the same agents that respond to non-status customers.

Code:
Telephone numbers for speakers of Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese:

English (Inglés)
1-800-433-7300
7 days a week

Japanese 1-800-237-0027
6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT 7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese 1-800-492-8095
8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT Mon - Fri
8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT Sat and Sun

Spanish 1-800-633-3711 7 días a la semana

TDD 1-800-543-1586
(for hearing impaired or deaf people /
para personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla)
Link to archived previous posts in ARCHIVE: Long wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2014) [/FONT]

"Transplanted from another post, for those affected overseas.

So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute), Google Hangouts or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.
Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype, Google Hangouts or other VOIP internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to USA airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware “Misery Map” (graphic representation of troubles on a USA map)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of involuntary reroute

Link to archive of this thread, posts 2015-2019

Print Wikipost

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by estnet
so here is the effect - I will NEVER book an AA flight (except using up my miles for award travel - preferably not on AA but on a partner) if there is any possible alternative. Wonder if anyone else feels the same
I'm certainly inclined to move in that direction. Flight earlier today had to be cancelled due to trip in vane situation caused by a delayed first leg. When the 'your flight is delayed and you must change it' notification comes on the app ~2 hours before the flight, and the app won't let me do things to fix the flight (like alter the destinations or routing), and the phone wait time is >4 hours for a Plat Pro, then having status is effectively worthless. This was the second trip I"ve had this year that has been affected by delayed inbound flights, and I've just about had it with this company.
estnet likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was quoted 40 minutes last night. Only waited about 1 minute after all the voicemail tree nonsense was done. The system is clearly not taking status into account when quoting the wait time. This is AA shooting self in foot, as I'm sure the wildly inaccurate wait time estimates are unnecessarily antagonizing many EXPs.

Also wish they'd just let you get straight to a representative, like UA does, without all the voicemail nonsense. OTOH, the quality of service once you actually reach an EXP agent is so much better than what UA 1Ks typically get . . . .
bostontraveler and onanisland like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Kacee
I was quoted 40 minutes last night. Only waited about 1 minute after all the voicemail tree nonsense was done. The system is clearly not taking status into account when quoting the wait time. This is AA shooting self in foot, as I'm sure the wildly inaccurate wait time estimates are unnecessarily antagonizing many EXPs.

Also wish they'd just let you get straight to a representative, like UA does, without all the voicemail nonsense. OTOH, the quality of service once you actually reach an EXP agent is so much better than what UA 1Ks typically get . . . .
but how would you know it's not taking status into account anyway? I'm quoted 4 hour hold times. What does that mean for golds--10 hours?
Old Mar 8, 2022, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by enviroian
but how would you know it's not taking status into account anyway?
Because I was quoted 40 minutes and it took 1 minute.

Which is the same experience other elites are reporting upthread - being quoted a time that is exponentially longer than it actually is.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I think something is wrong with the wait-time estimation algorithm in the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system.

If you press 2 after the recorded messages and after authentication (this is the "I'll wait on hold" option), I have found the times to be reasonable.

Example A -- Seattle midnight about a month ago, February 5 IIRC -- both Dallas AM flights AND Charlotte flight cxld (I could see all this on ExpertFlyer) -- one seat available (F1) on Chicago at 5:30am. There is no way to snag the final F seat through the app, so had to wait. A grumpy but competent agent picked up in 15 minutes after a 3-hour announced wait-time. Reticketed in another 10 minutes. Thankful to get 4 hours of sleep.

Example B -- Kansas City a week or so later -- Miami nonstop suddenly had one open seat (much faster than my booked itinerary) -- quoted a 4-hour wait. Pressed 2. EXP agent picked up within 10 minutes. Flight changed -- no problems.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Wonder if the agents handling EXP calls get priority when they have to call the rates desk? Lately, I haven't had an issue getting a hold of an agent initially, but have spent a bunch of time on hold if they need to get them involved.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:09 am

EXP just got told 20 minutes to wait for call back. What is the value of EXP anymore if this last thing is gone too? My systemwides are expiring never having been available and upgrades are thing of the past because they sell every seat. The last real benefit was being able to talk to an agent without a wait now gone too.
aktchi likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PaulSEA1
EXP just got told 20 minutes to wait for call back. What is the value of EXP anymore if this last thing is gone too? My systemwides are expiring never having been available and upgrades are thing of the past because they sell every seat. The last real benefit was being able to talk to an agent without a wait now gone too.
But we get group 1 boarding!

Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by econ
Wonder if the agents handling EXP calls get priority when they have to call the rates desk? Lately, I haven't had an issue getting a hold of an agent initially, but have spent a bunch of time on hold if they need to get them involved.
Yep, this has been my experience. Longer hold time waiting for the agent to speak to their tariffs desk than the initial hold.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Called this evening and was quoted 46 to 56 minutes. I stayed on hold and my call was answered in 12 minutes. Not great but not awful either.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got through right away a couple of nights ago. It was about 3am mountain time though.

The agent was very helpful and the call was done in a minute or two. Reading another thread, someone who was calling to do the exact same thing I was had to call 3 times, each time being told my a clueless agent that it wasn't possible. The EXP desk is great.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:02 pm

Callback time said 40-50 minutes and took around 1.5 hours. Worse yet the agent doesn't seem to know what they are doing. I am EXP so not sure if it just got routed to the regular line, but they are having issues with a simple fight change due to weather waiver.

Well thats a new record. 45 mins for an agent to process the one day flight change under the weather waiver. She kept on having to check with her supervisor if it was allowed and would keep pushing the wrong flights instead of the one I wanted. Wish AA would fix their online change system. This could have saved everyone a lot of time.
aktchi and TravelinSperry like this.

Last edited by olouie; Mar 10, 2022 at 7:36 pm
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM (Back to GLD for now)
Lowly Gold here (despite the name, LOL) and I just got advised that I will get a callback in "Over 4 Hours".

Yikes. And this was after being on hold for about 15 mins and then being disconnected.

-Plat
TravelinSperry likes this.

Last edited by PlatAAagain; Mar 10, 2022 at 7:46 pm Reason: I cannot spell
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM (Back to GLD for now)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by PlatAAagain
Lowly Gold here (despite the name, LOL) and I just got advised that I will get a callback in "Over 4 Hours".
Yikes. And this was after being on hold for about 15 mins and then being disconnected.
Data Point:
Tried Chat and holding on the phone at the same time, chat took approx 4 hrs to resolution of the issue, all but 20 mins was waiting for an agent, was still waiting for a phone agent when I hung up.
(Still not sure what happened to the residual of my flight credit, the flights I rebooked were less than the credit but I don't see it in my wallet and the chat person disconnected so quickly they never answered my question).

- Plat
Old Mar 11, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Told 5-7 minutes someone would pick up, 32 minutes later still holding. Calling from overseas... this is so frustrating. I really wish AA would fix this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.