Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA operates non-status, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro combined call center as well as Executive Platinum, Concierge Key dedicated call centers.

Read on for alternatives

There can be several causes of lengthy call answering, among them irregular or off schedule operations (OSO / IROPS) caused by weather.

● Call wait times extend as OSO develop - storms, etc. particularly affecting hubs, which produce knock-on effects that may persist a day or two.

● You can see current AA travel policies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

● You can always check FlightStats current North America airport delays, for example, to see how things are - here.

● For other useful links, tools etc. see the wiki for AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread).

● Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

● Others have called 1.800.222.2377 (web services) and had shorter response times.

● If you speak Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or use a TDD, you may get faster attention; see numbers below.

● You can try calling non-USA numbers, listed here:

● bchandler42 reports "During weather events, the elite line will have the option to press 1 for the callback. I use that, longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes which was accurate with the expected time it gave me."

● giblet called Thailand using Skype (2.3 cents a minute).

● There is one call-handling nexus, with prioritized lines for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status holders, and separate Executive Platinum and Concierge Key "desks". Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro callers are prioritized to be answered by the same agents that respond to non-status customers.

Code:
Telephone numbers for speakers of Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese:

English (Inglés)
1-800-433-7300
7 days a week

Japanese 1-800-237-0027
6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT 7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese 1-800-492-8095
8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT Mon - Fri
8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT Sat and Sun

Spanish 1-800-633-3711 7 días a la semana

TDD 1-800-543-1586
(for hearing impaired or deaf people /
para personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla)
Link to archived previous posts in ARCHIVE: Long wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2014) [/FONT]

"Transplanted from another post, for those affected overseas.

So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute), Google Hangouts or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.
Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype, Google Hangouts or other VOIP internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to USA airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware “Misery Map” (graphic representation of troubles on a USA map)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of involuntary reroute

Link to archive of this thread, posts 2015-2019

Print Wikipost

Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:47 am

Also got the 4 hour wait time message yesterday. Hung up and called the German number and only had to wait 15-20 minutes.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 6:45 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
This EXP had to wait for around 1h15 for a callback yesterday afternoon. Quite stressful when we were wanting to change an international flight just a few hours away.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
I wonder how much of the delay/hold time is due to increased complexity of processing tickets using Flight Credits. My recent example; called in and the system recognized me as a Plat. Was told the wait time was 15-20 minutes, so I asked for a call back. Got my call back in about 20 minutes, but it took about 40 minutes to purchase a ticket using a flight credit (tried to do it online but was told I had to call in). Setting up the reservation was quick, but then the AA rep had to call into "the revenue department". She was on-hold with them for a good 15 minutes (checked back in with me every 5 minutes or so to tell me she was still on hold). Finally, told me that my Flight Credit had expired as it needed to be used within 1 year of the original reservation. I pointed out the "**" on aa.cm saying that if the cancellation was made during the "COVID-flexible period" it wouldn't expire until 3/31/2022 or so. She then said she had to call a different department to confirm that my cancellation qualified and was on hold for another 10 minutes with them before confirming that my Flight Credit could be used. Net, about 40 minutes of a reps time spent on a relatively simple reservation but made lengthy due to having to check with other departments.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
no status with AA, called 10 am PDT 1 hour wait, called 3 PM PDT more than 4 hours (I assume the call back will be before my bedtime).
Old Aug 18, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
These hold times are absolutely maddening! I requested a call back (estimated 3 hours later) and never got one. Called again last night and today and finally had to hang up at 45 minutes. WTH are they doing with all that bail out money?!
Old Aug 18, 2021, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
These hold times are absolutely maddening! I requested a call back (estimated 3 hours later) and never got one. Called again last night and today and finally had to hang up at 45 minutes. WTH are they doing with all that bail out money?!
Increasing Doug's bonus since he went without pay a few months last year as a PR stunt.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 11:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cmd320
Increasing Doug's bonus since he went without pay a few months last year as a PR stunt.
Gag me.

Got my call back, pressed 1 that I was on the line, then got a survey asking how the agent was. Seriously?
Old Aug 23, 2021, 3:26 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
All of this could be avoided if they had robust ways to rebook oneself via mobile app, but they seem unwilling to make it a free-for-all by programming all the possible policy exceptions into it.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
omg what's happening, no status with AA, just called, 13 minutes wait, almost as good as AS.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
All of this could be avoided if they had robust ways to rebook oneself via mobile app, but they seem unwilling to make it a free-for-all by programming all the possible policy exceptions into it.
That seems to be the real issue here. I mean 10 years ago, when I had a multi-segment international flights canceled on Delta due to weather, I got automatically rebooked and then on their website they provided about 5-6 alternate options in case the automatic rebook didn’t work. I never did speak to a call agent.

My last trip with AA my flight got rescheduled and I got rebooked into a different class of service, and the only way I could get it fixed was to call and speak to an agent. The whole thing was ridiculous.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by simonsuo
omg what's happening, no status with AA, just called, 13 minutes wait, almost as good as AS.
With no status on AS, it normally takes 1-2 hr for me to reach someone by phone or chat.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Emma1420
That seems to be the real issue here. I mean 10 years ago, when I had a multi-segment international flights canceled on Delta due to weather, I got automatically rebooked and then on their website they provided about 5-6 alternate options in case the automatic rebook didn’t work. I never did speak to a call agent.

My last trip with AA my flight got rescheduled and I got rebooked into a different class of service, and the only way I could get it fixed was to call and speak to an agent. The whole thing was ridiculous.
This. Tuesday I had to rebook a Wednesday DL flight that had been rescheduled to too late in the day. Website offered numerous options within a 3-day period. It was unbelievably easy. Meanwhile aa.com can’t seem to process the purchase of a held ticket online. Required a phone call. Thankfully I got a call back while I was actually still entering info for the call back. But it could’ve easily been done online if only their system allowed it.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
The only reason for the wait time is $$$$$$. Save it by not having agents. AA told me that it was due to COVID and everyone rebooking with credit vouchers. A typical LIE. I think it is company airlines policy to LIE
Old Aug 30, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I called in today and got through to an agent immediately after the automated prompts. This was at about 2:30 PM EST on a Monday, while there are definitely weather issues going on with Hurricane Ida.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 1:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K/MillionMiler; Delta Diamond; AA Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Flight canceled two hours before departure; 10+ hour hold time

Got a flight cancellation notification today two hours before departure. The change offered in the app was unworkable (a two-day delay), so the app said call to rebook with other options. I called. 10 hours and 35 minutes later, I'm hanging up and going to bed (and going nowhere). Every possible flight has long since departed. Not a newbie and I used the other channels today, too, but purely as a call center situation that is pretty darned absurd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.