Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA Miles/LPSs (&EQM / EQD / EQS) on EY / Etihad (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on EY / Etihad Arways & Posting, etc. (consolidated)
NOTE: AA - EY codeshares end 25 Mar 2018.

AAdvantage members can only earn EQM - EQD - EQS flying Etihad Airways as an American Airlines marketed flight (codeshare). As these codeshares will end 1 Mar 2018, only Award Miles will be able to be earned on EY. No major changes are expected in other aspects of flying Qatar Airways. AA can always modify EQM and Award Miles earnings on partner airlines.

Link to aa.com Earn and redeem miles with Etihad Airways

Also see Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - as of 2016 (master thd)

Flying as an Etihad marketed / coded flight, you will earn Award ("redeemable") (not Elite Qualifying) miles, including applicable class of service bonus miles, as shown in the chart here. AA EQM / EQS / EQD may be earned flying as an AA codeshare / marketed flight as if one were flying AA, or as Qantas earning as if you had flown QF.

Flying Etihad garners award and class of service bonus miles; no oneworld status bonus miles are earned, nor is there a minimum mileage guarantee.

Etihad often fails to provide the needed information to AA even if one’s Aa FFN is entered into thevrecord and on one’s boarding pass, causing the AA award miles to fail to post. In these cases AA may well require the used boarding passes as evidence miles should be forthcoming.

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Etihad Airways within the Middle East and between the Middle East and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Europe
  • North America
  • South America

Earn miles

To earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Etihad Airways marketed and operated flights as well as Etihad Airways codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket booked in an eligible code
  • Fly an eligible route

Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Etihad Airways will earn AAdvantage base miles and elite qualifying miles, points and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart. Beginning May 1, 2015, travel between North America and Abu Dhabi (AUH) on Etihad Airways operated and marketed flights are also eligible for AAdvantage award (not EQ) miles accrual.
Print Wikipost

Earning AA Miles/LPSs (&EQM / EQD / EQS) on EY / Etihad (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
According to https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...nes/etihad.jsp, 0 - flights must also be operated by EY to earn miles.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ryan182
I assume you're referring to a Jethiad segment? I didn't even think about it but I have a flight in F next month that includes a segment thats "Jethiad" and was operating under the assumption that because its a wet-lease and not a code-share that it would earn as a regular EY flight. I think (hope) that is correct but this is the first Jethiad flight I've been on so would be curious to get confirmation.
The wet-lease flights post as full, regular EY flights for sure-- the Jet involvement is transparent for AAdv earning and redeeming, as they are not codeshares.

I tend to assume that's -not- what the OP is asking about-- that the OP is talking about conventional codeshare and those -shouldn't- post to AAdv, on paper
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sntrao
How many AA miles will I earn for an EY ticketed, EY coded, 9W operated segment?

The segment is part of an itinerary that originates and ends in the US.
Unfortunately, -0- miles of any kind, according to aa.com: "Earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Etihad Airways marketed and operated flights as well as Etihad Airways codeshare flights operated by American Airlines." Link.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
Unfortunately, -0- miles of any kind, according to aa.com: "Earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Etihad Airways marketed and operated flights as well as Etihad Airways codeshare flights operated by American Airlines." Link.
Just as long as OP is not -actually- talking about the aforementioned wet-lease arrangement EY flights. Key working difference could be "operated by" vs. operated for".

But assuming it's a codeshare, then definitely, must be EY by EY.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Just as long as OP is not -actually- talking about the aforementioned wet-lease arrangement EY flights. Key working difference could be "operated by" vs. operated for".

But assuming it's a codeshare, then definitely, must be EY by EY.
True enough. Thanks for tacking that down.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
True enough. Thanks for tacking that down.
EY had some interesting notes on the redemption side (see below) and earning side generally very closely mimics same:

Jet Airways for Etihad Airways flights are wet-leased and valid for redemption on EY.

Air France for Etihad Airways flights are wet-leased and valid for redemption on EY.

Operated By Ethiad On Air Seychelles Configured Aircraft is a wet-lease and is valid for redemption on EY.
And, actually, that last one puts the lie to my "by" vs. "for" theory
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Frustrating Experience Trying to Credit Miles

I flew JFK-MXP-AUH-KHI (mid Dec) AUH-LHR-JFK (early Jan). I booked the ticket on aa.com and entered my AA FF# when I booked the ticket. JFK-MXP and LHR-JFK were AA flights with AA flight numbers. The other segments were operated by EY with EY flight numbers. None of the EY segments credited so I submitted the mileage request form online on the first day I could. I have not heard back re the MXP-AUH-KHI segments but I got an email this morning saying that my AUH-LHR request had been denied and reason for denial was "Posted to Other FFP." This is BS. I don't even have another FFP that I could credit EY flights to. When I flew MXP-AUH-KHI my AA# was on the BP. When I flew AUH-LHR no FF# was on the BP. I tried to add it at OLCI and got an error. I tried to add it at the airport and was told the computer wouldn't accept it.

What is the best way to proceed now? Call AA? Email customer service? I was hoping to use the 7,000 odd miles before the devaluation in March but this is looking less and less likely.

Thanks!

Last edited by sadiqhassan; Feb 24, 2016 at 3:22 pm Reason: grammar
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I flew JFK-MXP-AUH-KHI (mid Dec) AUH-LHR-JFK (early Jan). I booked the ticket on aa.com and entered my AA FF# when I booked the ticket. JFK-MXP and LHR-JFK were AA flights with AA flight numbers. The other segments were operated by EY with EY flight numbers. None of the EY segments credited so I submitted and online mileage request form online on the first day I could. I have not heard back re the MXP-AUH-KHI segments but I got an email this morning saying that my AUH-LHR request had been denied and reason for denial was "Posted to Other FFP." This is BS. I don't even have another FFP that I could credit EY flights to. When I flew MXP-AUH-KHI my AA# was on the BP. When I flew AUH-LHR no FF# was on the BP. I tried to add it at OLCI and got an error. I tried to add it at the airport and was told the computer wouldn't accept it.

What is the best way to proceed now? Call AA? Email customer service? I was hoping to use the 7,000 odd miles before the devaluation in March but this is looking less and less likely.

Thanks!
You're sure your fare class qualifies under the EY earning chart?

Could be the easiest answer to your troubles. If you do qualify, email is probably best.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I flew JFK-MXP-AUH-KHI (mid Dec) AUH-LHR-JFK (early Jan). I booked the ticket on aa.com and entered my AA FF# when I booked the ticket. JFK-MXP and LHR-JFK were AA flights with AA flight numbers. The other segments were operated by EY with EY flight numbers. None of the EY segments credited so I submitted and online mileage request form online on the first day I could. I have not heard back re the MXP-AUH-KHI segments but I got an email this morning saying that my AUH-LHR request had been denied and reason for denial was "Posted to Other FFP." This is BS. I don't even have another FFP that I could credit EY flights to. When I flew MXP-AUH-KHI my AA# was on the BP. When I flew AUH-LHR no FF# was on the BP. I tried to add it at OLCI and got an error. I tried to add it at the airport and was told the computer wouldn't accept it.

Thanks!
Try sending a PM to Etihad lurker EtihadHelp to see if anything can be done at their end, including ticket number(s) etc.?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by reeg2
You're sure your fare class qualifies under the EY earning chart?

Could be the easiest answer to your troubles. If you do qualify, email is probably best.
Yes, fare class for EY flights was L on the outbound and M on the inbound. I made sure classes were eligible before purchasing ticket.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
How long do EY flights take to credit to AA? I booked a F ticket on EY stock (the AA code was almost 2K more and I don't like EQMs that much) and its been almost 3 weeks since the flight. Does it normally take a long time for EY to credit to AA or should I start the missing miles process?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
How long do EY flights take to credit to AA? I booked a F ticket on EY stock (the AA code was almost 2K more and I don't like EQMs that much) and its been almost 3 weeks since the flight. Does it normally take a long time for EY to credit to AA or should I start the missing miles process?
I'm not sure if AA will allow you to submit a missing miles request before 30 days. My last trip, miles for segments flown in October & November posted automatically in December. However, I'm still trying to get the last segment credited, and submitted a miles request about 30 days after the flight. A follow-up with AA indicated that EY had for some reason denied the request, and that they would have to resubmit it. The missing segment is the return mirror of an outbound segment that was credited successfully. The incompetence of Etihad...
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Earning AA EQM on EY

Hello FTers. I am planning on flying BKK-AUH on EY in paid J. Anyone know if I will receive EQM on this flight or if I will just receive redeemable miles.

If not, would it be worth the hassle to go BKK-DOH-AUH on QR?

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You will earn redeemable miles only - no qualifying miles towards statud

Personally, I would generally not take an indirect journey just for some miles, but only you can decide whether it is worth the hassle

Would the hassle make the difference between retaining status or losing it next year?
Old May 19, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If I fly an etihad coded and operated flight from AUH to SYD, do I earn base/redeemable miles for AA? It sees that according to the following sentence:

"Beginning May 1, 2015, travel between North America and Abu Dhabi (AUH) on Etihad Airways operated and marketed flights are also eligible for AAdvantage base mile accrual."

It suggests that only if I fly NA to AUH I earn base miles, except that this:

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Etihad Airways within the Middle East and between the Middle East and:

Africa
Asia
Europe
North America
South America

Suggests that I will earn miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.