Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA Miles/LPSs (&EQM / EQD / EQS) on EY / Etihad (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on EY / Etihad Arways & Posting, etc. (consolidated)
NOTE: AA - EY codeshares end 25 Mar 2018.

AAdvantage members can only earn EQM - EQD - EQS flying Etihad Airways as an American Airlines marketed flight (codeshare). As these codeshares will end 1 Mar 2018, only Award Miles will be able to be earned on EY. No major changes are expected in other aspects of flying Qatar Airways. AA can always modify EQM and Award Miles earnings on partner airlines.

Link to aa.com Earn and redeem miles with Etihad Airways

Also see Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - as of 2016 (master thd)

Flying as an Etihad marketed / coded flight, you will earn Award ("redeemable") (not Elite Qualifying) miles, including applicable class of service bonus miles, as shown in the chart here. AA EQM / EQS / EQD may be earned flying as an AA codeshare / marketed flight as if one were flying AA, or as Qantas earning as if you had flown QF.

Flying Etihad garners award and class of service bonus miles; no oneworld status bonus miles are earned, nor is there a minimum mileage guarantee.

Etihad often fails to provide the needed information to AA even if one’s Aa FFN is entered into thevrecord and on one’s boarding pass, causing the AA award miles to fail to post. In these cases AA may well require the used boarding passes as evidence miles should be forthcoming.

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Etihad Airways within the Middle East and between the Middle East and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Europe
  • North America
  • South America

Earn miles

To earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Etihad Airways marketed and operated flights as well as Etihad Airways codeshare flights operated by American Airlines:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket booked in an eligible code
  • Fly an eligible route

Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Etihad Airways will earn AAdvantage base miles and elite qualifying miles, points and segments according to the AA mileage accrual chart. Beginning May 1, 2015, travel between North America and Abu Dhabi (AUH) on Etihad Airways operated and marketed flights are also eligible for AAdvantage award (not EQ) miles accrual.
Print Wikipost

Earning AA Miles/LPSs (&EQM / EQD / EQS) on EY / Etihad (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Etihad "Z" discounted biz fares, do they earn anything on AA?

Etihad "Z" discounted biz fares, do they earn anything on AA? They are not listed at all on the AA.com Etihad earning chart, does this mean that they do not earn any miles on AA?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nk15
Etihad "Z" discounted biz fares, do they earn anything on AA? They are not listed at all on the AA.com Etihad earning chart, does this mean that they do not earn any miles on AA?
As Z is not listed in the aa.com Etihad chart, no miles are earned. As indicated in the wiki of this existing thread, miles earned on Etihad flights that are not marketed by AA earns only redeemable, not EQ, miles.

Though AA and US continue operating as separate airlines through October 16, the U.S. Dividend Miles program was merged into AAdvantage in March, and so belongs in the "Combined" forum, where we've merged your query to prevent information fragmentation and enhance search ability.

We genuinely appreciate when members take the time to read the Announcement, which contains instructions about our interim fora structure, before starting a new thread on an existing subject.

Thank you,

/Moderator

Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Thanks for the comprehensive answer and moving it to the right thread.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Thanks for the comprehensive answer and moving it to the right thread.
No worries; it can get confusing with a two year slow merger process for members who haven't been affected or found it necessary to keep abreast. That's why you'll see some threads designed to help.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:12 am

Hello

I booked an EY flight (E) from Europe to AUH, entered my AA card. Will it count towards reedemable miles on AA ?
tx
migub
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by migub
Hello

I booked an EY flight (E) from Europe to AUH, entered my AA card. Will it count towards reedemable miles on AA ?
tx
migub
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Please read the wiki at the top of this page, and use the link to the earning chart on aa.com to verify flights between the Moddle East and Europe earn 100% redeemable miles in "E" economy class fare.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:59 pm

hi Jdiver
tx for the welcome msg

I read the wiki, but am not sure how to understand the "Earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Etihad Airways marketed", compared to the "Beginning May 1, 2015, travel between North America and Abu Dhabi ".

The last one seems to be more restrictive than the first one?

The http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/etihad.jsp link shows E Economy as a valid rate, I'm just unsure about the from North Am limitation ?

thank you!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by migub
hi Jdiver
tx for the welcome msg

I read the wiki, but am not sure how to understand the "Earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Etihad Airways marketed", compared to the "Beginning May 1, 2015, travel between North America and Abu Dhabi ".

The last one seems to be more restrictive than the first one?

The http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/etihad.jsp link shows E Economy as a valid rate, I'm just unsure about the from North Am limitation ?

thank you!
No, that refers to the fact N. America - Abu Dhabi was added recently; previously that was excluded.

The page linked to (and wiki paragraph) specifies you do eard miles

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Etihad Airways within the Middle East and between the Middle East and:

Africa
Asia
Europe
North America
South America
and Economy fares Y, E, B, H, K, M, Q, L, V, U 100% earn miles (but flown as EY, redeemable miles; only if as AA or QF can one earn AA EQM).
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:24 pm

tx got it
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
I am really confused so I would appreciate some clarification. I realize that Etihad tickets earn only miles and not preferred qualifying miles when on an Etihad operated flight. From the sounds of it all Etihad tickets will only earn miles and no preferred qualifying miles regardless of who operates the flight. Is this true even when you purchase an Etihad ticket that is operated by American Airlines (codeshare) or will I earn preferred qualifying miles since the flight is on American Airlines metal?

Thanks for your assistance.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Joe1690
I am really confused so I would appreciate some clarification. I realize that Etihad tickets earn only miles and not preferred qualifying miles when on an Etihad operated flight. From the sounds of it all Etihad tickets will only earn miles and no preferred qualifying miles regardless of who operates the flight. Is this true even when you purchase an Etihad ticket that is operated by American Airlines (codeshare) or will I earn preferred qualifying miles since the flight is on American Airlines metal?

Thanks for your assistance.
The term is Elite Qualifying Miles, mergeling! . . . . . . . .

(Yeah, what merged into what? I never imagined HP would be the world's largest airline! :/)

It doesn't matter which airline operates the EY flight; you will never earn AA EQM flying EY coded flights. You can only earn Redeemable miles flying EY as EY.

If you fly an EY operated flight marketed as AA, you will earn EQM and EQP as if flying AA.

If you fly an EY operated flight marketed as QF, you will earn EQM and EQP as if flying QF.

Hope that clarifies. Safe flying to you.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
JDiver, Thanks! That is really helpful.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As mentioned in post 53 flights betweem the Middle East and Africa/Asia/Europe/North America/South America are listed as being eligible for mileage accrual

Australia is not listed ; has anyone experience of whether mileage is able to be accrued on flights between AUH and Australia
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:38 pm

Exec Platinum and etihad mileage bonus?

If I book biz class on EY 183 I know I'll accrue miles but will I get the exec platinum mileage bonus?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Vidhyap
If I book biz class on EY 183 I know I'll accrue miles but will I get the exec platinum mileage bonus?
You understand those will be redeemable miles, not EQ miles, right?

And, no, there's no status bonus nor minimum miles guarantee on Etihad, though there are class of service bonus miles accrued on certain fares.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/etihad.jsp

We will merge your query into the existing thread for these issues.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.