Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Future of AA / US Lifetime Status / Million Miler program (consolidated)

Until the new (and current) Million Miler program was launched December 2011, any miles from all sources (all redeemable miles) counted as Million Miler miles. Lifetime status granted was the same as today: Gold at 1,000,000 miles ever earned, and Platinum at 2,000,000 lifetime miles ever earned; no lifetime top tier (EP / EXP) status was, or is, offered. Further million miles thresholds earn 4 SWUs.

The current Million Miler program "grandfathered" existing MM counts because until now there existed no way to differentiate miles for MM count. With the announcement of the new program, AA announced only Base / Elite-Qualifying Miles would count and be added to one's Million Mile counter.

AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program recognizes and rewards AAdvantage members when Million Miler thresholds are achieved. Base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward Million Miler status.

AAdvantage members will enjoy the following benefits when Million Miler status is reached:

At one million (1,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Gold status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles*

At two million (2,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum status and four one-way systemwide upgrades

At each additional Million Miler mark, AAdvantage members will receive four additional one-way systemwide upgrades

For all members, your beginning Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you ever earned in the program. This Program to Date balance is currently reflected in your AAdvantage account on aa.com. Million Miler activity will be displayed in your AAdvantage account on aa.com separately from award miles so progress toward reaching this special designation can be easily tracked.

It's a special honor to be recognized with Million Miler status - and it is our distinct pleasure to reward such loyalty.

US has had a lifetime status / million mile program, and it counts PQM.

The greatest likelihood is current million miler counts will be merged, and that there is no way to "beat the system" by trying to inflate Redeemable miles counts in AA or US accounts; they both differentiate the kinds of miles, and no indication the Million Miler program will include lifetime Redeemable miles counts when USDM accounts are brought over and merged into AAdvantage (nor has anyone who has already caused an account merger stated to the contrary).

In the second quarter of 2015, we’ll combine your million mile balances (if you have both a Dividend Miles and AAdvantage® account) or transfer your million mile balance to the AAdvantage program.

AAdvantage Million Miler program:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp

Delta's comparable program (no lifetime top tier status):http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...er-status.html

United's comparable program (lifetime top tier status granted):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
Print Wikipost

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
That 30 years could be significantly reduced if one is flying on the fares that earn 50 and 100% MQM bonuses.
Delta is also the only one that currently allows for some nonflying activity (MQMs from credit cards) to count. However, the amount you can earn is capped annually per card type. In theory, you could earn lifetime diamond with all four Amex Delta cards, spending at least $340,000 every year.... for 38 years.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nall
My understanding is that UA excludes partner flights.
Unfortunately it has and continues to exclude such. Making lifetime elite status with AA and DL has been and continues to be much easier than with UA.

I made my AA MMer status levels almost exclusively from flight activity, but there were times where my flights were effectively earning me at least around 3 AA miles toward lifetime status for each regular paid ticketed flight credited to my AA account.

AA’s MM program is the weakest nowadays. If I had to do it over again, I would have done more UA and less AA. But that’s just me in light of AA’s de facto devaluing of lifetime Platinum status, something that doesn’t really motivate me to drive more of the purse/wallet (and related crediting of flights) to AA.
Spiff and lsquare like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 7, 2022 at 1:49 am
Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Unfortunately it has and continues to exclude such. Making lifetime elite status with AA and DL has been and continues to be much easier than with UA.

I made my AA MMer status levels almost exclusively from flight activity, but there were times where my flights were effectively earning me at least around 3 AA miles toward lifetime status for each regular paid ticketed flight credited to my AA account.
Both AA and DL's 1MM status offer very limited benefit to UA's 1MM. If I were to aim for 1MM with any airline, it'll be with UA. DL at 2MM is fairly decent, but 2MM is fairly hard to attain for most folks.
Spiff and robertablake like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by bosman
But wouldn't your LT miles have been much smaller on UA than AA?
If I understand the UA program correctly, it is based on lifetime flight miles, just like AA after they changed their program. I believe I properly adjusted my AA balance, and I also have UA flying from before I switched to AA. In any case, I'd certainly be much better off than LT Platinum

ETA: It appears UA doesn't offer any credit for partner flights, and I did not adjust for that, but I believe I have only 6-7 such flights included in my AA balance
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I have 3+ MM...didn't realize I was supposed to have received SWU's upon crossing into #MM...not sure I got those or used them...I suspect they expired in 12 months, a while ago. I never noticed any benefit of getting beyond 2MM w AA. I don't think anyone form AA, such as a gate agent or a FA, has ever recognized my MM status. I'd love to see a benefit evolve to further recognize 3MM, like LPP, but don't see it happening.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The problem with Million Miler is that AA made it easy for years to get Million Miler Miles (through CC spend) they even did this during the pandemic for a short period of time.
bosman, sdsearch and MarkOK like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Delta offers the equivalent of Lifetime Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Executive Platinum at 1, 2, 4, and 6 million miles flown respectively.
United offers the equivalent of Lifetime Platinum, Platinum Pro, Executive Platinum, and Global Services at 1, 2, 3, and 4 million miles flown respectively.
AA only offers Lifetime Gold and Platinum at 1 and 2 million miles flown, respectively.

If you haven't and aren't likely to fly 3 million miles, this does not affect you.
Not only that. If you are out of the US, and you value partner airlines more than the US Big 3, then it doesn't really affect us as much. In DL anything over Lifetime Gold is moot, the same as UA LT Gold, and AA LT Platinum. But again, the top elite status is tailored for elites who specifically fly their airline, so it makes sense to have more perks than a mid-tier elite.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia
Agreed, but it is a nice touch. And UA's lifetime GS is much more attainable. I'd be on the cusp had I chosen to be a UA instead of AA flyer.
Yes life time status wasn't really a consideration when young. Too old to switch now and start over
mallthus likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by flying_geek
Yes life time status wasn't really a consideration when young. Too old to switch now and start over
I’ll thank my folks for getting me on the miles treadmill back when the programs launched when I was a kid. I never intended to get to MM, but lucked into it with AA thanks to the mergers (and some pre-modern era mileage categorization rules where class of service bonuses counted).

Since dad signed me up for AAdvantage in 1982, a few hundred thousand AA miles, a
few hundred thousand HP miles, a few hundred thousand US miles, a few hundred thousand TW miles…next thing you know you’ve got 1.7 million miles. Funny thing is that I live in Denver now and literally NEVER fly AA. 😂
Dedicated likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by mallthus
, a few hundred thousand TW miles…
I rang that TWA bell pretty hard myself. Never flew them, but when i saw what was coming i opened an TWA account, transferred a bunch of Amex MR points, and presto laundered into AA miles (which were worth more then than now), and MM progress.

That was at least 20 years ago, feels like yesterday.
Daze, doodiedan and Parkdesigner like this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 5:53 pm

Do not worry about lifetime anything anymore. I assure you your benefits will be diluted and eliminated and a higher tier created on your airline, hotel, car, cruise line.
Daze, KansasMike and njvandy like this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 2:40 pm

Location: Stamford, CT - AA Lifetime Plat - 3MM and counting. Mosaic.
How to turn your best customers into frequent flyers of OTHER airlines? Pull the rug out from under them and dilute their lifetime status!! I made Lifetime Plat in 2004 and haven't seen an upgrade in nearly 10 years. I go out of my way to fly other airlines now. And you would think they would wonder why they aren't seeing revenue from people like me (I'm sure many are in this boat) and ask. I guess they know the answer and don't want to hear about it.
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
The problem with Million Miler is that AA made it easy for years to get Million Miler Miles (through CC spend) they even did this during the pandemic for a short period of time.
I don't understand why this is a "problem." Evidently, those of us who made it through CC + enough BIS miles (combined) to make Platinum must have been profitable to AA.
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by certils
How to turn your best customers into frequent flyers of OTHER airlines? Pull the rug out from under them and dilute their lifetime status!! I made Lifetime Plat in 2004 and haven't seen an upgrade in nearly 10 years. I go out of my way to fly other airlines now. And you would think they would wonder why they aren't seeing revenue from people like me (I'm sure many are in this boat) and ask. I guess they know the answer and don't want to hear about it.
Starting in 2022, they don't want to see you on AA planes to be a good customer. They want to see you spending your cash with partners and stay off their planes where it costs them more money to fly you than they earn. As others have said in countless other threads, AA became a financial services company that owns a fleet of planes they fly around the world at a financial loss, but which provides a pool of customers that funds a very profitable referral program like Rakuten is.
Spiff, Dedicated and EXP100 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Still hoping for spousal matched benefits for AA MMs to align with United program...when travelling alone or with our daughter, my spouse simply books away from AA onto UA where he is matched to 1K and receives those benefits accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.