Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Future of AA / US Lifetime Status / Million Miler program (consolidated)

Until the new (and current) Million Miler program was launched December 2011, any miles from all sources (all redeemable miles) counted as Million Miler miles. Lifetime status granted was the same as today: Gold at 1,000,000 miles ever earned, and Platinum at 2,000,000 lifetime miles ever earned; no lifetime top tier (EP / EXP) status was, or is, offered. Further million miles thresholds earn 4 SWUs.

The current Million Miler program "grandfathered" existing MM counts because until now there existed no way to differentiate miles for MM count. With the announcement of the new program, AA announced only Base / Elite-Qualifying Miles would count and be added to one's Million Mile counter.

AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program recognizes and rewards AAdvantage members when Million Miler thresholds are achieved. Base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward Million Miler status.

AAdvantage members will enjoy the following benefits when Million Miler status is reached:

At one million (1,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Gold status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles*

At two million (2,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum status and four one-way systemwide upgrades

At each additional Million Miler mark, AAdvantage members will receive four additional one-way systemwide upgrades

For all members, your beginning Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you ever earned in the program. This Program to Date balance is currently reflected in your AAdvantage account on aa.com. Million Miler activity will be displayed in your AAdvantage account on aa.com separately from award miles so progress toward reaching this special designation can be easily tracked.

It's a special honor to be recognized with Million Miler status - and it is our distinct pleasure to reward such loyalty.

US has had a lifetime status / million mile program, and it counts PQM.

The greatest likelihood is current million miler counts will be merged, and that there is no way to "beat the system" by trying to inflate Redeemable miles counts in AA or US accounts; they both differentiate the kinds of miles, and no indication the Million Miler program will include lifetime Redeemable miles counts when USDM accounts are brought over and merged into AAdvantage (nor has anyone who has already caused an account merger stated to the contrary).

In the second quarter of 2015, we’ll combine your million mile balances (if you have both a Dividend Miles and AAdvantage® account) or transfer your million mile balance to the AAdvantage program.

AAdvantage Million Miler program:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp

Delta's comparable program (no lifetime top tier status):http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...er-status.html

United's comparable program (lifetime top tier status granted):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
Print Wikipost

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EXP100
Or put it this way if you're a PP do you want your upgrade to go to a LT EXP that hasn't flown in 5 years?
Someone's first flight in 5 years is a rare enough occurrence that no one should care.
golfingboy, lsquare and LovePrunes like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Your statement doesn't make any sense. If you had a LT EXP level a person that is LT EXP that hasn't flown in 5 years would be ahead of a PP on the upgrade list that had 150K LP, at least under the current upgrade regime.
Even if they haven't flown in 5 years (unlikely but possible), with their status and willingness to fly again, they should still be prioritized. If you'd earned that lifetime status then you'd still want to be on the upper end of the list as well.

My point - if they're going to fly again and put money down but not buy into first/business, someone with LT status should still get what they'd earned in terms of upgrade ranking.

As ​​​VegasGambler points out, that someone with LT status hadn't been flying for 5 years is such a rare occurrence, it really is a red herring.

David

Last edited by DELee; Aug 2, 2022 at 1:02 pm
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by DELee
Even if they haven't flown in 5 years (unlikely but possible), with their status and willingness to fly again, they should still be prioritized. If you'd earned that lifetime status then you'd still want to be on the upper end of the list as well.

My point - if they're going to fly again and put money down but not buy into first/business, someone with LT status should still get what they'd earned in terms of upgrade ranking.

As ​​​VegasGambler points out, that someone with LT status hadn't been flying for 5 years is such a rare occurrence, it really is a red herring.

David
I am in many ways that straw man. I have 3 MM now, and got that partially from 12-14 years of EXP status. Mostly BIS miles but of course not all. Now, I fly 2 or 3 times a year.
Reward for past performance is and was the currency used to acquire LT status, and the promise of that did indeed influence my buying decisions when booking flights in those years.

Four million miles is not out of the question for me, but I absolutely cannot see a situation where the front of the plane would ever be filled with people like me squeezing out PPs.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The issue may be that they might not know everyone's lifetime BIS due to all the mergers. This was a problem when AS acquired VX -- VX did not keep track of how many BIS miles everyone had flown so AS had no idea how to credit them. It's not even clear that AA was keeping track of their own before they stopped counting other types of miles. Do they know how many miles you flew in the 80s?
Thanks for reminding me. Prior to completion of the merger, AS publicly stated that they would implement some sort of conversion metric. Then, they kept putting me off over a three year period about when I would see the credit with a variety of excuses. At the end of the day, it doesn't appear that they ever actually honored their promise to VX flyers.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
It's too bad AA is making zero effort to improve the weakest MM program in the US.

​​​​​​
Spiff and Wander19 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:10 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by lsquare
It's too bad AA is making zero effort to improve the weakest MM program in the US.

​​​​​​

What am I missing?

I need to feel bad today
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
What am I missing?

I need to feel bad today
There's no Lifetime PPro/EXP/CK. Delta now offers lifetime diamond and United offers lifetime Global Services.
Spiff and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by nall
There's no Lifetime PPro/EXP/CK. Delta now offers lifetime diamond and United offers lifetime Global Services.

OK but how does that tie in with the thread subject million milers? Does that mean you have to fly Diamond only for a million miles, or some other meaning?

I'm sure I have been screwed somehow and need a drink to calm down
vasantn and Parkdesigner like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
OK but how does that tie in with the thread subject million milers? Does that mean you have to fly Diamond only for a million miles, or some other meaning?

I'm sure I have been screwed somehow and need a drink to calm down
Delta offers the equivalent of Lifetime Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Executive Platinum at 1, 2, 4, and 6 million miles flown respectively.
United offers the equivalent of Lifetime Platinum, Platinum Pro, Executive Platinum, and Global Services at 1, 2, 3, and 4 million miles flown respectively.
AA only offers Lifetime Gold and Platinum at 1 and 2 million miles flown, respectively.

If you haven't and aren't likely to fly 3 million miles, this does not affect you.
Spiff, ikwia, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Delta offers the equivalent of Lifetime Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Executive Platinum at 1, 2, 4, and 6 million miles flown respectively.
United offers the equivalent of Lifetime Platinum, Platinum Pro, Executive Platinum, and Global Services at 1, 2, 3, and 4 million miles flown respectively.
AA only offers Lifetime Gold and Platinum at 1 and 2 million miles flown, respectively.

If you haven't and aren't likely to fly 3 million miles, this does not affect you.
Put it this way if you flew an average of 200K miles a year it would take you 30 years on constant flying to reach DL's top level. That size population would seem to be very small to me.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Put it this way if you flew an average of 200K miles a year it would take you 30 years on constant flying to reach DL's top level. That size population would seem to be very small to me.
Agreed, but it is a nice touch. And UA's lifetime GS is much more attainable. I'd be on the cusp had I chosen to be a UA instead of AA flyer.
Spiff and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by ikwia
Agreed, but it is a nice touch. And UA's lifetime GS is much more attainable. I'd be on the cusp had I chosen to be a UA instead of AA flyer.
But wouldn't your LT miles have been much smaller on UA than AA?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by bosman
But wouldn't your LT miles have been much smaller on UA than AA?
My understanding is that UA excludes partner flights.
mrow, lsquare and econ like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
My understanding is that UA excludes partner flights.
That's true.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 7:04 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
That 30 years could be significantly reduced if one is flying on the fares that earn 50 and 100% MQM bonuses.
Spiff, GUWonder and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.