Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: AA using widebodies for domestic/Caribbean/Mexico flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUS: AA using widebodies for domestic/Caribbean/Mexico flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:52 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurnik

Not that I'm complaining, but it sounded like it was for transcontinental flights from Paris or something.

US/AA does not operate flights within Europe, but only to and from Europe across the Atlantic to its hubs (JFK, PHL, MIA, ORD, CLT, etc.)
I'm pretty sure the OP meant to say INTERcontinental instead of TRANScontinental. But if we're nothing else here on FT, we're very specific when it comes to terminology.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Yes, it is fairly normal on the European off season. I've even been on them between PHL-CLT many times - and this May had a last minute equipment swap to one on PHL-MCO. Enjoy!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by PHL
I'm pretty sure the OP meant to say INTERcontinental instead of TRANScontinental. But if we're nothing else here on FT, we're very specific when it comes to terminology.
Yes, sorry, thank you. Get my trans/inter mixed up. But hey, learned something new today, so that's a good thing.

(took me forever to figure out the whole WN when people talk about Southwest or whatever).

Thanks!

And sorry for posting on the wrong forum, I didn't know where else to put it.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:01 am

US historically flew CLT/PHL-MCO, PUJ, SXM, CUN, SJU, and probably a few warm weather destinations in the winter when the seasonal EU are not flown. However, with cross fleeting these may not be as prevelent.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AA G, UA, HH G
My PHL-CUN flight in October now shows a 332 instead of a 321. Not complaining!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
My only recommendation for widebody flights such as these would be to pick a seat assignment that also exists on the smaller Airbus 320-series planes, in the event the flight gets downguaged. This does happen every now and then, and those with seats such as G and H get screwed. Even if booked in J or F class, try to stay in rows 1-3 to be safe. If the plane changes and your seat number no longer exists, they will just re-seat you somewhere in the back, usually a middle row.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by ACA321
My only recommendation for widebody flights such as these would be to pick a seat assignment that also exists on the smaller Airbus 320-series planes, in the event the flight gets downguaged. This does happen every now and then, and those with seats such as G and H get screwed. Even if booked in J or F class, try to stay in rows 1-3 to be safe. If the plane changes and your seat number no longer exists, they will just re-seat you somewhere in the back, usually a middle row.
That happened to me out of CLT this summer.
Had a first class confirmed upgrade to a window seat on the GH side, and suddenly as i board it beeps and I get the "step aside please" where the gate agents had to scramble to even get me on the packed flight in coach. ended up middle seat Y vs. first class. Not happy. They just chopped off everyone who was on the 2nd aisle and did their best to fit them on anywhere they could, and I remember thinking, next time I"ll be sure to choose the other aisle if I'm ever upgraded on a 330. Good tip about row 1-3, too.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
US will not exist after October 25. Look the flight up as AA coded and you should be good to go.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
That happened to me out of CLT this summer.
Had a first class confirmed upgrade to a window seat on the GH side, and suddenly as i board it beeps and I get the "step aside please" where the gate agents had to scramble to even get me on the packed flight in coach. ended up middle seat Y vs. first class. Not happy. They just chopped off everyone who was on the 2nd aisle and did their best to fit them on anywhere they could, and I remember thinking, next time I"ll be sure to choose the other aisle if I'm ever upgraded on a 330. Good tip about row 1-3, too.
In the event of an equipment swap, upgrades where the upgraded seat exists on the new plane will stay in F, and paid F will generally stay in F, but upgrades to seats that don't exist on the swapped aircraft will wind up on coach - sometimes randomly. I usually take great care on domestic upgrades on widebodies to pick seats that exist on the A321 or 757. The 321 can be the replacement for some Caribbean or domestic A330 runs, and the 757 used to replace the 767s all the time before they were retired and still can occasionally replace the 330.

In short: I choose 1-3 A/C/D/F where possible when upgraded on a domestic widebody flight. This will likely change to some extent after the reservations system cutover this fall.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:00 pm

Since it seems like AA loaded some W16 TA updates this weekend I decided to take a glance at a few Saturdays between Jan-March to see if the 330s are back on these routes. So far there are very few 330s on CLT/PHL-PUJ/CUN/MCO/SJU on some of the busy Saturdays in March that previously saw multiple 330s. There were non to CUN, only 1 to PUJ, 1 to SJU, none to MCO. It is still far out so there is plenty of time for schedule updates, but I wonder if these will be the first widebodies to be used on legacy AA routes.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nova08
Since it seems like AA loaded some W16 TA updates this weekend I decided to take a glance at a few Saturdays between Jan-March to see if the 330s are back on these routes. So far there are very few 330s on CLT/PHL-PUJ/CUN/MCO/SJU on some of the busy Saturdays in March that previously saw multiple 330s. There were non to CUN, only 1 to PUJ, 1 to SJU, none to MCO. It is still far out so there is plenty of time for schedule updates, but I wonder if these will be the first widebodies to be used on legacy AA routes.
I know we all like having these wide-bodies on domestic routes, but I'm hoping these A330's are going to dispatched on routes in which makes money for the airline.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nova08
My Punta Cana trip on the 332 has just been subbed by a 321.

On the bright side (maybe?) my upgrade request has also been canceled.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by hurnik
Is it "normal" for the 1/18/16 CUN -> CLT flight #884 to be an Airbus A330-200?

Not that I'm complaining, but it sounded like it was for transcontinental flights from Paris or something.

I am secretly hoping there won't be an equipment change by then.

Seat Guru says there's no map for that flight #884 on American Airlines (but does list it as an A330-200).

US Airways has one (seat map), but Seatguru says there's no such USAirways flight #884

aa.com let me book and pick seats and it sure looks like a USAirways A330-200, so I'm guessing it's real, I just was a bit surprised that large of a plane is used for that flight?
There's a period of time in the winter where US suspends some European routes, and when they do that, they tend to fly the widebodies used on some of those flights on routes that don't normally see them. Last Christmas, I was on a 332 from PHL-PHX.

For example, the second half of January is when the PHL-FCO route stops until about the beginning of March, IIRC. Gotta do something with that plane!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
For a flight that was a A321 on PHL-MCO, it got up gauged to an A332 yesterday. In addition, the price dropped to a ridiculously cheap $62 (which I jumped on immediately). This is for a Friday in November.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
There's a period of time in the winter where US suspends some European routes, and when they do that, they tend to fly the widebodies used on some of those flights on routes that don't normally see them. Last Christmas, I was on a 332 from PHL-PHX.

For example, the second half of January is when the PHL-FCO route stops until about the beginning of March, IIRC. Gotta do something with that plane!
AA has a lot of birds that need to be refurbished so subing the A330's and getting those tired A767-300 in the shop to brought into the 21st century is something I would think would happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.