Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will AA/US re-arrange flight numbers, and how? (Speculation Discussion)

Will AA/US re-arrange flight numbers, and how? (Speculation Discussion)

Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Don't know about AA's flight logic but UA changes flight numbers a lot and that doesn't seem to make sense. What I do know is all Express carriers are assigned a range and in such a way that there are no duplicates with flight numbers flown for other airlines. So, and Express carrier flying for DL, UA and AA will have a tough time coordinating all of those to avoid flight duplicates. Fortunately, for new AA that won't be much of an issue as all US Airways Express carriers (as far as I know) are owned by them as is American Eagle by new AA. The only exception is Republic which flies under the American Eagle brand - they will need a dedicated flight range different for the ranges they use for other carriers. As Republic are flying more and more flights for Eagle - that flight range will grow.
Do not forget Skywest group which flies for AA and is the largest regional in the world. They have flight numbers which need to match AA but not conflict with the flying they do for DL, UA, US, AS and others.

It is going to be an interesting ride. I think we will see more LGA-DFW-SAN-DFW-LGA or similar on the same flight number in the near future to make all the mainline, regional and codeshare/partner flying work.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by acvitale
It is going to be an interesting ride. I think we will see more LGA-DFW-SAN-DFW-LGA or similar on the same flight number in the near future to make all the mainline, regional and codeshare/partner flying work.
US 660 is apparently now STL-CLT-AUS-PHX-SNA, so some of this is happening. Some debugging still needs to happen, like the signs at the gate in CLT saying "Orange County" when I doubt anyone is actually taking the flight to the end.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by superweak
US 660 is apparently now STL-CLT-AUS-PHX-SNA, so some of this is happening. Some debugging still needs to happen, like the signs at the gate in CLT saying "Orange County" when I doubt anyone is actually taking the flight to the end.
Though it will happen much, much more going forward, it's happened previously on the US side. Some years back US 662 flew CLT-PHL-LAS-PHX-SNA, and by coincidence I flew two segments of it (CLT-PHL and PHX-SNA) on the same day with the same aircraft and crew, bypassing the LAS visit.

The gate signage is often a problem for these. They just continually cycle through cities and it always seems to alarm somebody at the gate, even sometimes frequent fliers. Some standardization of it would be better, perhaps always displaying the next city, then "this flight continues on to ...". This is hard with old LED displays but as most gates will eventually get LCD panels it should be easier to do.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: QFF
Do not forget Skywest group which flies for AA and is the largest regional in the world. They have flight numbers which need to match AA but not conflict with the flying they do for DL, UA, US, AS and others.

Skywest currently operates 1,707 flights a day. 176 for AA/US. (UA: 1,022, DL: 480, AS: 30)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, BA Gold, JL Saphire, SPG Plat, Marriott Gld
I think we will see more LGA-DFW-SAN-DFW-LGA or similar on the same flight number in the near future to make all the mainline, regional and codeshare/partner flying work.

Nope, this can't happen because you have touched DFW twice on the same flight number. You cannot depart the same city twice using the same flight number in one day.

A through flight which goes AUS-DFW-CLT would be much harder to maintain over the various schedule periods than using a round robin flight number which goes DFW-AUS-DFW since, in most cases it is guaranteed to be the same aircraft. AUS-DFW-CLT is not always guaranteed to be the same aircraft across schedule periods (seasons).
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Originally Posted by PurpleCircle
Nope, this can't happen because you have touched DFW twice on the same flight number. You cannot depart the same city twice using the same flight number in one day.

A through flight which goes AUS-DFW-CLT would be much harder to maintain over the various schedule periods than using a round robin flight number which goes DFW-AUS-DFW since, in most cases it is guaranteed to be the same aircraft. AUS-DFW-CLT is not always guaranteed to be the same aircraft across schedule periods (seasons).
You are absolutely correct! My mistake.

I think the example given above with a single flight number coast to coast transiting thru 2 or 3 hubs is going to be alot more common.

Either way... Going to be interesting. My concerns will be how IT keeps up with all these changes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.