Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can anyone decode US's latest alliances update?

Can anyone decode US's latest alliances update?

Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by GaryZ
Also true, but with 13/28 of the *A members being represented, not including presumably all of the current OneWorld members I wouldn't term it a "select" group of partners for which miles can be earned/redeemed via DM.
True once OW is completely available but the announcement didn't mention OW at all. Thus I see this as an interim solution. My assumption is that the mentioned carriers have codeshares with US so will continue to award DM miles for at least codeshare flights after US leaves *A. For how long? As long as the codeshare relationship lasts. After all, the codeshare lets you book US flight numbers and get DM miles in return - just like at present. It's membership in *A that lets you book any flight on one of those carriers and get DM miles.

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Dec 17, 2013 at 5:13 pm
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:13 pm

OK, so let me see if I have the practical aspects of this correct:

1) Prior to 31 March 2014, use/earn Dividend miles on these carriers.

2) Post 31 March 2014, continue to use/earn Dividend miles on these carriers.

3) Post end of Dividend miles and all flyers now being in the "new" AAdvantage (which may be or may be later than 31 March 2014), continue to USE newly merged Dividend Miles AND "old" AAdvantage miles on this carriers.

4) Post end of Dividend miles and all flyers now being in the "new" AAdvantage (which again may be or may be later than 31 March 2014), continue to EARN "new" AAdvantage from flights on these carriers.

As an aside +1 to any option that keeps me off BA and away from LHR.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:35 pm

#1: you can probably use/earn DM on all *A carrier, not just those listed in the email.

#3 & #4: at some point probably in 2015, US will disappear. Since the code share agreements are with US I wouldn't count on being able to use/earn AA miles after that.

There has been no indication of how long the code shares with the airlines listed in the email will last - they could disappear at basically any time after US leaves *A.

Jim
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold
US plans to continue relationships - what it means for AA members

According to this page
We plan to continue relationships with the following airlines, which means youll be able to earn and redeem miles on these select partners even after weve exited Star Alliance: Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP and Turkish Airways.
Can we theorize what this means as a current AAdvantage gold/plat/exec member once the loyalty programs are merged.

Would we be able to use AA miles to book a trip on these airlines? Essentially making all of these unofficial OW members

100% bonus miles as plat/exec? etc
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:36 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
US plans to continue relationships - what it means for AA members

It likely means you can earn at various percentages, depending on fare bucket purchased. Perhaps some cheap coach fares won't even be valid. It will most likely NOT mean accruing EQMs as you would on a OW carrier.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Since you asked for theories I would postulate:

1. These arrangements will be non OW similar to AA's relationship with Alaska.

2. They may only last as long as US is operating as an independent carrier from AA.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Since you asked for theories I would postulate:

They may only last as long as US is operating as an independent carrier from AA.
Not necessarily the case, as AA already has codeshare arrangements with TAM.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:05 am

There's at least 2 possibilities:

- These codeshares only last as long as US exists, at which point only AA codeshares + OW would exist.

- These codeshares transfer from US to AA, adding to the list of AA codeshares.

Jim
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
2. They may only last as long as US is operating as an independent carrier from AA.
This is my expectation (as a general rule. Some exceptions may present.)
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
We all have questions - they will some day be answered, but for now AA has oneworld, as well as its special relationship with Alaska (earning full EQM, status recognition, etc.), as well as codeshares, awards redemption, etc. with various airlines (e.g. AS, FJ, HA, TN, etc. etc.)

No reason the new AA won't have these, but which is the question. Some of us would love to be able to have opportunities to use our miles on TK et al.

BTW, TAM is a nonsequitur in this instance, IMO - TAM, as part of LATAM, joins oneworld ~31 march 2014.

In the end, it will take some time to sort out which airlines the "new AA" will maintain partner relationships will, and I suspect there will be changes during the next couple of years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.