Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Employees to vote on livery change / TWA retro livery coming [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: edcho
The new AA votes to keep the new flag tail:
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2014/01/american-airlines-employees-vote-to-keep-the-flag-tail-design-on-planes.html/
The votes are in!
  • 60,418 total votes
  • 31,355 in favor of flag tail
  • 29,063 in favor of AA tail

More than 1,100 total AA and US aircraft to be painted:
  • 300 US mainline
  • 280 US Airways Express
  • 539 American
*Does not include retiring aircraft or new deliveries.

Watching paint dry? Here’s how long it will take:
  • Widebody 13-17 days
  • Narrowbody 8-11 days
  • Express 7-9 day
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I miss US Airways

Sorry if there is a bigger consolidated thread for this, but I thought it warranted its own. US just tweeted:

Our people will vote on our livery’s final design. Keep the flag or switch back? Tell us: #keeptail or #switchtail

https://twitter.com/USAirways/status/412732813415161856

Link to Doug Parker two page article on livery change / not change in PDF form

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 19, 2013 at 2:22 pm Reason: add link to PDF
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Same post on Facebook from AA. Like the old tail, but two different logos make it look kinda busy....
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, United Club, AA EP, BR, CI, CX, WN, SPG, HH, Marriott Gold, LeClub Accor PLAT
Doug Parker to let American Airlines employees decide whether to keep the new AA tail: http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...-aa-tail.html/
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Same post on Facebook from AA. Like the old tail, but two different logos make it look kinda busy....
And indecisive!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I were in charge, I'd ditch the Greyhound-like new logo near the front and go back to the classic AA on the tail.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ajnaro
And indecisive!
Of course keeping the old eagle could save money in changes such as the eagles inside he aircraft (walls by front entrance, seat backs on NGBC, etc) and also buildings (floor at ORD etc).
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:19 pm

And the mess has started! Keep the new tail. It's awesome! Flip Flop. Soon this will be the lack of identity.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Bad move. Combining the new with the old is absurd and reflects horrid design sense. AA has always distinguished itself by having an acute sense of holistic design...witness its adoption of the American classic Eames designs for its amenity kits and those #670 lounge chairs and ottomans in many ACs and Flagship lounges. Either keep the full new livery or go back to a retro version of the classic. However, it will be hard to go all the way back to the all silver metal fuselages with the 787s and other composite skin aircraft coming on stream.

Last edited by Shareholder; Dec 16, 2013 at 6:48 pm
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:30 pm

New branding mixed with old branding =
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
(Full disclosure: I am on the record as one of the apparently few around her who like the new tail)

As I rode the Airtrain into JFK today and saw all the AA planes at and around T8, all I could think was how dated the tail on the old planes looks.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Plans for TWA retro jet announced

https://wings.usairways.com/uswings/...ry_outlook.pdf

Do you want to fly TWA again? AA will plans for TWA retro jet announced. In the case, you haven't see TWA livery scheme for a long time.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:46 pm

I agree -- while I wasn't warm to it when viewing it on a computer, it is much more impressive to see it on the ground.

I've grown to like the new tail... surprisingly! Plus I can tell that is an AA plane much further away than many other carriers.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by edcho
I agree -- while I wasn't warm to it when viewing it on a computer, it is much more impressive to see it on the ground.

I've grown to like the new tail... surprisingly! Plus I can tell that is an AA plane much further away than many other carriers.
That's how I feel too. Plus US had the slogan "fly the flag", and the new AA is the only carrier with a USA flag in the livery. I say keep it.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
.....Really?

Honestly, I didn't like the new paint when it came out, but I'm over it now.

But going back to the old tail makes it look way dated with the flat paint combined with the gradation on the 'flight symbol' in the front. It's all or nothing.

Besides, don't they have bigger issues, like...say...getting out of bankruptcy and finishing a merger and combining frequent flyer programs...and...and...
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ty97
(Full disclosure: I am on the record as one of the apparently few around her who like the new tail)

As I rode the Airtrain into JFK today and saw all the AA planes at and around T8, all I could think was how dated the tail on the old planes looks.
I hated the new livery until I saw it in person. Just the thought of the mixed new and old makes me cringe. New livery is a mix of US and AA so I think it should stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.