Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Employees to vote on livery change / TWA retro livery coming [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: edcho
The new AA votes to keep the new flag tail:
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2014/01/american-airlines-employees-vote-to-keep-the-flag-tail-design-on-planes.html/
The votes are in!
  • 60,418 total votes
  • 31,355 in favor of flag tail
  • 29,063 in favor of AA tail

More than 1,100 total AA and US aircraft to be painted:
  • 300 US mainline
  • 280 US Airways Express
  • 539 American
*Does not include retiring aircraft or new deliveries.

Watching paint dry? Here’s how long it will take:
  • Widebody 13-17 days
  • Narrowbody 8-11 days
  • Express 7-9 day
Print Wikipost

Employees to vote on livery change / TWA retro livery coming [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:08 pm

Good news. Glad they will keep the US/PI/PS/HP retros too. And there are several others retros which could be added to the fleet as well. Empire? Mohawk?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I was hoping that Doug Parker was going to continue with this program. My vote is for the double-globe on the tail with the red-ribbon fuselage. Here's hoping that an Air Cal (preferably the Air California logo) and Reno Air are also on the line-up.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Gasp! Old tail with the new lettering and emblem? What a disaster!

It took me awhile to warm to the new scheme, but once I saw a few planes in the new scheme together I started to like it. And it is really a merger scheme since the US planes have the flag on the tail as well. I think once there are enough planes in the new colors folks will be fine with it.

BUT, now they are taking a step into the thicket of screwing the whole thing up. Don't make a mess of this AA!

Daze
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:11 pm

This new new version seems like a reasonable compromise between what was good and the awful Greyhoundesque livery.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by edcho
I agree -- while I wasn't warm to it when viewing it on a computer, it is much more impressive to see it on the ground.

I've grown to like the new tail... surprisingly! Plus I can tell that is an AA plane much further away than many other carriers.
I'm the exact opposite. When I first saw pictures of the new livery, I thought it looked OK but now that I see it on actual aircraft, I don't like it at all.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
The New New Livery?

I much prefer the new style. Just looks more modern and upscale.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by CruisingAltitude47
.....Really?

Besides, don't they have bigger issues, like...say...getting out of bankruptcy and finishing a merger and combining frequent flyer programs...and...and...
They exited Ch 11 bankruptcy last week.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
I much prefer the new style. Just looks more modern and upscale.
Me too. I do wish the paint was slightly more shiny and not so....grey though
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by akelkar
Me too. I do wish the paint was slightly more shiny and not so....grey though
You mean like Aeroflot
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by edcho
I agree -- while I wasn't warm to it when viewing it on a computer, it is much more impressive to see it on the ground.

I've grown to like the new tail... surprisingly! Plus I can tell that is an AA plane much further away than many other carriers.
+1
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:06 pm

Old, BA had to change its disaster when it changed from its seal to "junk form they they fly to"
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill
I'm the exact opposite. When I first saw pictures of the new livery, I thought it looked OK but now that I see it on actual aircraft, I don't like it at all.
I first saw it on a gloomy IRROPS at ORD while flying UA .... it was quite impressive to so see the tail and colors floating above the sea of blue death-stars .
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star
The new logo is far better. It is modern and revitalizes the term "American" since it is the only carrier to have the American flag on its tail. Two logos on the plane is silly, the old AA logo is iconic but this is a -new- American and the new changes reflect exactly that. I personally like the new livery and design, hopefully the employees vote to keep the new scheme.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
I would recommend a third option: ditch the new flag, but replace it with the NEW eagle logo on the tail.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
The big problem IMHO with the new livery is the grey paint, the planes just look bland, if it were me, I would paint the plane white, use the same new tail and logo, and move the American name smaller and above the window line. Maybe even paint the engines red or blue for color.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.