Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"New" AA chooses Sabre over US' HP SHARES - Discussions...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"New" AA chooses Sabre over US' HP SHARES - Discussions...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SHARES or SABRE and Other IT Integration Discussions...

Not sure if this should be merged or a decision has been made - any speculation on SHARES or SABRE?

It seems with the old US and AA on SABRE and HP on SHARES, maybe SABRE is in the future? Then the rest of the systems that come with SABRE...?

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 10, 2015 at 7:00 pm Reason: Restore original pot title
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I was flying SFO-BWI the day of the United/Continental IT integration. Wow, what a mess…… lines, frustration, screaming…….
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:57 pm

Ladies at the Club said they were boning up on Sabre.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by username
Not sure if this should be merged or a decision has been made - any speculation on SHARES or SABRE?
Not speculation - confirmed. Sabre will be the PSS for the combined operation.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat 100, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
^^^

The merits of both could be debated (as I am certain they have been and will be), but will weigh in and say I find AA's website to be superior. And US, I'm judging you for not having an app until a few months ago.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Incorrect. Officially no decision has been made, no contracts signed. While it has been stated by Parker and others that the larger company's IT systems makes more sense, again, it is not official.

That being said, I do expect AA to choose Sabre as the decision makers are approaching this from the primary standpoint of the number of agents needing to be trained. This despite the fact that Sabre has a vastly inferior user interface (green screen) to US' SHARES (with the QIK GUI).
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
SHARES has already been shown that it's incapable of running a large airline. It works for a smaller one like PMCO or US, but chokes when trying to run a larger airline.

Just look at the CF UA has been since it went to an all SHARES shop. It's an unmitigated disaster and still is.

On those times I've HAD to fly UA, I have yet to have an issues that hasn't resulted in a call to the helpdesk to get it resolved. And even then, UA still manages to consistently screw up the request that it takes a minimum of 3 calls to resolve if I'm lucky, or a trip to the airport ticket counter in the worst cases.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by denCSA
That being said, I do expect AA to choose Sabre as the decision makers are approaching this from the primary standpoint of the number of agents needing to be trained. This despite the fact that Sabre has a vastly inferior user interface (green screen) to US' SHARES (with the QIK GUI).
Plenty of US-East staff have had experience with Sabre, as well -- so that should reduce the learning curve even more.

I'm curious, though, what the status of AA's effort to replace the current Sabre system is -- they walked away from the HP/Jetstream effort in BK after 3 years spent and $8M owed. Reports at the time said they were going to pick an off the shelf system to modify, and were planning to pick a vendor by the end of 2012 -- but it seems like crickets since then.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by dtremit
Plenty of US-East staff have had experience with Sabre, as well -- so that should reduce the learning curve even more.

I'm curious, though, what the status of AA's effort to replace the current Sabre system is -- they walked away from the HP/Jetstream effort in BK after 3 years spent and $8M owed. Reports at the time said they were going to pick an off the shelf system to modify, and were planning to pick a vendor by the end of 2012 -- but it seems like crickets since then.
Precisely, and that's the way newAA is looking at the situation.

The Jetstream project was a pmAA project that will likely not continue. Considering that AA's CIO will flow through to the newAA (one of the only ones that does), I still do not expect a revival of Jetstream, but a continued focus on the future and what systems are available. pmAA looked VERY, VERY closely at adopting Amadeus' Altea Flight Management (weight & balance) solution after the Jetstream deal collapsed. I don't know the exact details, but it likely came down to cost (Amadeus is very $$$$) and the lack of customization for AA's needs (although Amadeus rolled out the red carpet for AA in many respects, and made many carrier-specific changes for BA later on).

After the new carrier is on one system I would expect it to look at the options out there, not before.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:54 pm

If I am not mistaken SABRE was originally developed by AA and spun of later. No way they are going to go away from SABRE unless the US air executives want a fight on their hand.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:13 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles
I was just about to mention Amadeus Altea (developed in Europe)... So AA looked at it very intensely and rejected it based on cost!?

I know the worlds leading airlines run it (BA QF CX-very soon) because its technologically advanced and AUTOMATES many functions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e4xTgz-fBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMH1podAzCo

My guess would be SABRE due to cost.

Last edited by willzzz88; Dec 12, 2013 at 1:28 am
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Sabre is staying, they are migrating the smaller airline to the bigger airline's system, unlike what COdbaUA did....
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by willzzz88
I was just about to mention Amadeus Altea (developed in Europe)... So AA looked at it very intensely and rejected it based on cost!?
That's only one part of it. The primary reason US airlines (UA included) have not adopted Amadeus' Altea is due to Amadeus' 'community model' for development where an airline cannot simply customize Altea to it's needs; all major modifications have to be voted on by the largest airlines using Altea.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
That's because many of us already know about US IT....

I remember the POS integration with SHARES.... spent a wonderful (not) night in CLT because of it... only made it to SFO with the grace of god and the CP line!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
You will probably see AA using SABRE along with US' QIK GUI overlay. US developed a version of it for SABRE during the US/HP merger that can quickly be updated. This gives AA the lowest training costs...the AA (and old US-East people that can remember) can use native SABRE, the rest of the US-people (along with all new hires) can continue to use QIK. Thus no major retraining will be needed for anyone...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.