Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by C46
I still don't get the addition of PHL-TXL.

UA does EWR-TXL and DL offers JFK-TXL - and their equipment will be more appealing to the german customers!
Not having personal IFE will be a major issue, affecting the loads. So AA can only go really low on prices; therefore low yields.
The AA 767 is just not good enough anymore, for the german market.

And a seasonal 4x weekly operation will hardly return the investments AA has to make, considering the start-up costs - especially for security, as TXL's classification won't be on the low risk-end.
Me too.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:27 am

This might be a bit exaggerated but AA's PHL strategy is becoming the antithesis of JFK. I mean, if the routes weren't profitable, they weren't profitable. But it is becoming more and more perplexing.

JFK: We'll serve the top tier business markets and 1 or 2 solid leisure markets...forget about 2nd tier business markets and the rest of the leisure markets
PHL: We'll serve the leisure markets across southern and eastern Europe, but we can't make business markets work (BRU, FRA, MUC). Who knows about ZRH.

I get there is more business demand between CLT and Germany than PHL, but I am skeptical that CLT-MUC can support 2x daily. Unless someone can prove me wrong with O&D/PDEW numbers.
US Airports that support multiple MUC frequencies across any carrier: EWR, ORD, IAD, SFO. All *A hubs with more local demand than CLT.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by nova08
This might be a bit exaggerated but AA's PHL strategy is becoming the antithesis of JFK. I mean, if the routes weren't profitable, they weren't profitable. But it is becoming more and more perplexing.

JFK: We'll serve the top tier business markets and 1 or 2 solid leisure markets...forget about 2nd tier business markets and the rest of the leisure markets
PHL: We'll serve the leisure markets across southern and eastern Europe, but we can't make business markets work (BRU, FRA, MUC). Who knows about ZRH.

I get there is more business demand between CLT and Germany than PHL, but I am skeptical that CLT-MUC can support 2x daily. Unless someone can prove me wrong with O&D/PDEW numbers.
US Airports that support multiple MUC frequencies across any carrier: EWR, ORD, IAD, SFO. All *A hubs with more local demand than CLT.
I'm skeptical there is more business demand to Germany from CLT than PHL. It's just that the point-of-sale is much more Germany based than U.S. based and LH/UA have locked that up. Philly has the U.S. HQ of SAP, for example, and they exclusively use LH out of PHL or EWR (which also depresses PHL O&D).

I think this is more AA throwing in the towel on another market they cannot compete and seeing if it sticks with connections through CLT instead, since CLT has connects to more domestic markets than PHL. Oddly enough, it's like taking a page from JFK playbook where they have given up on key business routes they can't compete on.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:30 am

BLQ has fairly easy train access to Florence, but DL's flight JFK-PSA (closer to Florence) didn't last.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
BLQ is an interesting add to say the least. All I know is that it was a stop on the train between Florence and Venice. But there's nothing touristy in BLQ that I know of so why didn't AA do PHL-PSA?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by no1cub17
But there's nothing touristy in BLQ that I know of...
JonNYC and PHX_Flyer like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.

I'm sure AA looked at the O&D airports in the U.S. where people are travelling to/from MUC. If most of those passengers can be connected via CLT versus PHL, and since it costs less to connect a passenger at CLT than PHL, then it makes more sense to operate that flight out of CLT. However, AA now needs to rethink their lounge situation in CLT given that the number of TATL flights out of there are not being reduced.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Fanjet
AA now needs to rethink their lounge situation in CLT given that the number of TATL flights out of there are not being reduced.
Agreed! Showers if you’re serious and to provide a consistent lounge product. Otherwise, I would choose a connecting point with better amenities.
plon likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I get there is more business demand between CLT and Germany than PHL, but I am skeptical that CLT-MUC can support 2x daily.
If the local market and connections cannot support 2x daily, maybe AA is betting that it’s hub strength at CLT would drive LH off the route?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by US @ DEN
If the local market and connections cannot support 2x daily, maybe AA is betting that it’s hub strength at CLT would drive LH off the route?
I am not sure I would take that bet. Routes go two ways. There is a ton of manufacturing and high tech in NC/SC and a good amount of the plant machinery is likely German made. I have worked in plants where German techs would fly in to work on stuff all the time. Plus German bankers, PE guys, other capital markets folks probably come into CLT, which is a financial center, with frequency.

Maybe AA can lock up the US-origin market, but probably not the other way around.
scnzzz likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I am not sure I would take that bet. Routes go two ways. There is a ton of manufacturing and high tech in NC/SC and a good amount of the plant machinery is likely German made. I have worked in plants where German techs would fly in to work on stuff all the time. Plus German bankers, PE guys, other capital markets folks probably come into CLT, which is a financial center, with frequency.

Maybe AA can lock up the US-origin market, but probably not the other way around.
I had read somewhere (some time back), so this is purely anecdotal - that LH has a cargo and travel contract with BMW (Global HQ near MUC, US HQ/plant is an hour from CLT). That, plus the financial services in CLT, should fill the belly of the LH nonstop, as well as its front cabin consistently enough that no amount of low-yield connecting AA traffic would drive it away. One should also not forget the large connecting intra-EU market from MUC; that airport is a genuine pleasure to connect through, and the location is ideal for connecting travel to most of central and eastern Europe.

ETA - AA may be able to lock up the US-origin market - but only to Munich and its environs. MUC is not a good OW connecting point. What I said about MUC being a pleasure to connect through - that only applies to *A (T2). Terminal 1 at MUC is the exact opposite; it's really not set up well for connections at all, since it's principally an O/D terminal for non *A carriers. If you want to go anywhere but Munich on OW, you'd want to connect elsewhere (read: LHR, or if available, via PHL/JFK/DFW/ORD)
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by scnzzz
I had read somewhere (some time back), so this is purely anecdotal - that LH has a cargo and travel contract with BMW (Global HQ near MUC, US HQ/plant is an hour from CLT). That, plus the financial services in CLT, should fill the belly of the LH nonstop, as well as its front cabin consistently enough that no amount of low-yield connecting AA traffic would drive it away.
Well said.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Not speculation. These are already loaded in the system. Some are weekends only.

1/12/19 - 9/1/19 PHL-SRQ
2/16/19 - 8/31/19 PHL-EYW
2/16/19 - 9/1/19 PHL-MLB
2/16/19 - 8/31/19 ORD-EYW
3/9/19 - 9/5/19 ORD-ECP
3/9/19 - 9/5/19 ORD-PNS
3/9/19 - 9/5/19 ORD-VPS
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
It appears that AA will be starting two new routes from LAX in April:

LAX-Tulsa (Eagle) and LAX-Louisville (mainline).

I was wondering when SDF would finally be connected to LAX given that AA service exists to a number of other stations in that region (IND/BNA/CMH).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:19 pm

JonNYC is offering some thoughts on PHL-MXP next year:

I wonder if this would be to test the waters to eventually cut JFK-MXP if Air Italy joins the TATL JV? Does AA have a spare widebody plane for this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.