Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AA ExePlat
MSS-DBV widebody twice daily.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Network realignment update: Newsroom - American Airlines Expands European Footprintand Modifies Asia Service - American Airlines Group, Inc.

New routes: PHL-Berlin, PHL-Dubrovnik, PHL-Bologna, PHL-EDI (replaces JFK-EDI), PHX-LHR, DFW-DUB (replaces JFK-DUB), DFW-MUC, CLT-MUC, ORD-ATH

Cuts: PHL-FRA, PHL-MUC, PHL-GLA, ORD-PVG, ORD-NRT reduced to 3 weekly
GTITAN likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:50 am

So another JFK route gone (DUB, maybe an indication that the EI JV will be announced soon?), and it looks like that 757 will be moved to PHL-EDI. Will EDI last at both JFK and PHL?

There was a hint that the only widebodies out of JFK will be 777s come next summer, I wonder if the 2 767s to CDG/MAD will be moved to the 3 new PHL flights (11x weekly total)?

Of these, the biggest surprise to me is Bologna, and the most overdue is Berlin. CLT-MUC is likely a competitive response to LH (I believe it is the only major city that AA doesn't fly to from CLT that a competitor does).

EDIT: Looks like a PDF of the additions and drops include PHL-FRA/MUC/GLA ending as well. PHL-GLA is transferring to EDI. If someone told me 3 cities from PHL were being terminated, I wouldn't have assumed FRA/MUC, and certainly not if TXL was being added at the same time.

Last edited by lowfareair; Aug 21, 2018 at 8:58 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I'm pretty surprised by the PHL-MUC/FRA cuts. But the biggest shock to me is adding BLQ...where did that one come from? I can think of at least 5 other Italian cities I would've guessed first before BLQ got added. Does that city have any TATL flights currently on any carrier?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I'm pretty surprised by the PHL-MUC/FRA cuts. But the biggest shock to me is adding BLQ...where did that one come from? I can think of at least 5 other Italian cities I would've guessed first before BLQ got added. Does that city have any TATL flights currently on any carrier?
Looks like no, BRQ has no direct US service. Probably a smart move - we've seen AA do very well on these summer seasonal virtually no competition direct routes in PRG and BUD. I'd expect to see more of them from PHL.

Interesting that AA is taking on LH's long running non-stop from CLT to MUC. Remember that used to be a codeshare route with US when they were part of *A
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
PHL-MUC isn't surprising to me in light of the fact that they've just moved it to CLT-MUC (automotive demand; also the reason Lufthansa flies CLT-MUC and not CLT-FRA). Like you I'm a bit surprised by PHL-FRA, though I guess CLT/DFW-FRA was enough Frankfurt capacity?

I'm also shocked by BLQ; the only current long-haul flight I can find (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologn...arconi_Airport) appears to be EK DXB-BLQ. But EK is far more aggressive about route adds than AA...

Last edited by taxicabnumber; Aug 21, 2018 at 9:16 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Dear All,

When will these flights get loaded into SABRE? Right now, they do not show up on AA.com and are not bookable

Warm Regards,

Panjabi
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by panjabi
Dear All,

When will these flights get loaded into SABRE? Right now, they do not show up on AA.com and are not bookable

Warm Regards,

Panjabi
August 27.
panjabi likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by dkc192
August 27.
Thank you!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
PHL-MUC isn't surprising to me in light of the fact that they've just moved it to CLT-MUC (automotive demand; also the reason Lufthansa flies CLT-MUC and not CLT-FRA). Like you I'm a bit surprised by PHL-FRA though, though I guess CLT-FRA was enough Frankfurt capacity?

I'm also shocked by BLQ; the only current long-haul flight I can find (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologn...arconi_Airport) appears to be EK DXB-BLQ. But EK is far more aggressive about route adds than AA...
Since 2000 BLQ has over doubled in passengers carried, and no other US carrier goes there. Plus due to its central location (between VCE/MXP/FCO/ FLR) it makes decent sense. Also Alitalia operates a small base there, with their impending bankruptcy and Air Italys lack of presence maybe this a a play in the long term Italian market. What strikes me as odd is the amount of LCC's at BLQ.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
PHL-MUC isn't surprising to me in light of the fact that they've just moved it to CLT-MUC (automotive demand; also the reason Lufthansa flies CLT-MUC and not CLT-FRA). Like you I'm a bit surprised by PHL-FRA, though I guess CLT/DFW-FRA was enough Frankfurt capacity?
The surprising thing to me with the PHL-MUC/FRA moves is that the TATL JV now has no flights to either from the NE that get in for a full workday in Germany. Unless someone wants to backtrack down to CLT, they have to connect via LHR and that means they miss an entire morning of meetings with flights getting into FRA/MUC no earlier than 11am.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
The PHX-LHR flight is a 777-200, but none of the dropped flights are that aircraft.

Any idea where the 777-200 is coming from? Is another route being downgraded (or upgraded) to free that aircraft?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:06 pm
C46

I still don't get the addition of PHL-TXL.

UA does EWR-TXL and DL offers JFK-TXL - and their equipment will be more appealing to the german customers!
Not having personal IFE will be a major issue, affecting the loads. So AA can only go really low on prices; therefore low yields.
The AA 767 is just not good enough anymore, for the german market.

And a seasonal 4x weekly operation will hardly return the investments AA has to make, considering the start-up costs - especially for security, as TXL's classification won't be on the low risk-end.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by lds89
Looks like no, BRQ has no direct US service. Probably a smart move - we've seen AA do very well on these summer seasonal virtually no competition direct routes in PRG and BUD. I'd expect to see more of them from PHL.

Interesting that AA is taking on LH's long running non-stop from CLT to MUC. Remember that used to be a codeshare route with US when they were part of *A
Maybe this means there's a tiny chance of getting upgraded when flying to Germany from CLT now. Right now there is zero chance with all of the business travelltraveller.

I guess CLT is getting the 332 from PHL per the "767" reallocation plan.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by C46
I still don't get the addition of PHL-TXL.

UA does EWR-TXL and DL offers JFK-TXL - and their equipment will be more appealing to the german customers!
Not having personal IFE will be a major issue, affecting the loads. So AA can only go really low on prices; therefore low yields.
The AA 767 is just not good enough anymore, for the german market.

And a seasonal 4x weekly operation will hardly return the investments AA has to make, considering the start-up costs - especially for security, as TXL's classification won't be on the low risk-end.
AA does not care about the German point-of-sale passengers. AA knows they are going to fly LH and AA is not wasting their resources going after them. The summer seasonal routes like TXL are solely about taking US tourists to Berlin during summer peak. That is it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.