Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Fair. Although, few if any are going to Naples; most are going in buses to Pompei and the Amalfi Coast . But, the idea of even seasonal service to NAP or FLP and none to BRU and only one flight to AMS still doesn't make sense to me. But, neither did BUD or PRG. I don't have any inside knowledge, but the last two destinations seemed to take a play from DL's dart board approach to new destinations as opposed to AA's more conservative approach.
There is also a summer seasonal flight to AMS from DFW in addition to the year-round flight from PHL. But I agree with you about BRU. As for possible service to FLR (I think that's what you meant with FLP)... I'm not implying that PSA (the airport in Florence cannot handle widebodies) is a great suggestion. Just that I think that Tuscany receives more American tourists than Naples and its surrounding areas. So that is why I think it would be a better venture If AA was looking to open another destination in Italy.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:19 pm
C46

Originally Posted by Fanjet
But given that LH Group are picking up a a few of the fomer Air Berlin routes to the U.S., my guess is that DUS is not a possible candidate.
LH408 DUS-EWR will be gone in 2019.
EW only serves tourist-heavy destinations from DUS, like JFK, MIA & RSW - without offering connections in the U.S.!

Keeping that in mind, there should be enough potential for another route, aimed at business travelers & cargo shippers, besides DL's ATL-flight.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Something-ist, Bombay Sapphire
Few months ago I heard a rumor from PHX based flight crew that BA was pulling out of PHX. Presumably, that would be replaced by AA metal to LHR. Then came the BA (contract) lounge's lease is expiring, and airport is looking for a new operator.

With the deferred retirement of the A333's might leave a little slack in the wide body fleet (LHR-PHX-HNL turn?). Reading JonNYC's tweet tonight about premium seat overcapacity makes a good point too.
Plausible or wishful thinking?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I’m almost positive the rumor JonNYC is discussing here will happen. Already did in MIA, and AA mgmt has been talking around this in many calls lately.

Will be good for some, bad for some. I, personally, am looking forward to better AA access to points in Europe, if that means more BA metal to make it happen.
PHX_Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
I’m almost positive the rumor JonNYC is discussing here will happen. Already did in MIA, and AA mgmt has been talking around this in many calls lately.

Will be good for some, bad for some. I, personally, am looking forward to better AA access to points in Europe, if that means more BA metal to make it happen.
If AA uses the 333's that is mix blessing since the plan was not to retrofit them with PE, But it would be nice to have a direct PHX-LHR flight on AA metal without paying the horrible fuel surcharge that BA imposes.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AA
Very curious as to what this means for PHL. AA connected the dots with several new flights this summer that connect to the transatlantic bank, as well as beefed up service to LAX and SFO with A332s. However, Terminal A-West is now completely full at peak with no more room for additional flights unless they are spaced out a bit more.

Even more secondary Europe from PHL?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by bridge29
Very curious as to what this means for PHL. AA connected the dots with several new flights this summer that connect to the transatlantic bank, as well as beefed up service to LAX and SFO with A332s. However, Terminal A-West is now completely full at peak with no more room for additional flights unless they are spaced out a bit more.

Even more secondary Europe from PHL?
AA has 3 hardstand gates West of A that they can use (H1-H3) although it is not a fun option. What they really should do if they want to add more TATL from PHL is 1) Make the remaining Terminal A gates FIS-accessible for narrowbodies from the Caribbean, 2) switch the LAX/SFO flights to 752/321neos with lie-flats (I know there is no official plan for the neos to get them, but I believe a subfleet of them eventually will), and 3) put in 2 distinct TATL banks and try to get a handful of flights to arrive after the first bank departs around 5-6pm. Not easy, but should be doable, especially from leisure destinations.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
But it would be nice to have a direct PHX-LHR flight on AA metal without paying the horrible fuel surcharge that BA imposes.
If you're complaining about BA fuel surcharges you're thinking award tickets. 'Let's improve saver award availability,' said no Parker sycophant ever.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you're complaining about BA fuel surcharges you're thinking award tickets. 'Let's improve saver award availability,' said no Parker sycophant ever.
True. If people are hoping even for the same amount of award availability if the route switches to AA then they are fooling themselves.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair
AA has 3 hardstand gates West of A that they can use (H1-H3) although it is not a fun option. What they really should do if they want to add more TATL from PHL is 1) Make the remaining Terminal A gates FIS-accessible for narrowbodies from the Caribbean, 2) switch the LAX/SFO flights to 752/321neos with lie-flats (I know there is no official plan for the neos to get them, but I believe a subfleet of them eventually will), and 3) put in 2 distinct TATL banks and try to get a handful of flights to arrive after the first bank departs around 5-6pm. Not easy, but should be doable, especially from leisure destinations.
As I vaguely recall, US did the hardstand gates/IAD buggies in the past, as well as the 2nd international Bank. They also moved several departures to "B". People hated the "hardstand" thing, although it's not that unusual during peak times at several other large airports. The 2nd Bank could present a challenge though, as many prospective connecting domestic flights may have to be rescheduled across the network. @:-) If Parker is going to significantly grow international from PHL, he should open his wallet, pay to move the airport vehicle charging stations and extend A-West south, which was a long ago plan anyway. PHL is stuck with the ultra conservative US Airways/Parker mindset, while the pre-merger AA hubs bask in their Taj Mahal glory days.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC, there were a couple of gates at PHL (in either B or C) which could handle the 762s. Couldn't those gates also handle the 763s? As for flight banking and gate space... there could easily be 3 banks of TATL flights at PHL: 6pm/8pm/10pm. Even the longer flights to FCO and ATH, for example, could depart around 4pm. Moreover, this is really only an issue in the peak summer months.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Fanjet
IIRC, there were a couple of gates at PHL (in either B or C) which could handle the 762s. Couldn't those gates also handle the 763s? As for flight banking and gate space... there could easily be 3 banks of TATL flights at PHL: 6pm/8pm/10pm. Even the longer flights to FCO and ATH, for example, could depart around 4pm. Moreover, this is really only an issue in the peak summer months.
​​​​​
Who's connecting to those 4 pm flights?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
​​​​​
Who's connecting to those 4 pm flights?
Is there no longer a bank of flights arriving in the 2 o'clock hour at PHL?

I think even the first flight from LAX arrives in that block.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:22 am

My understanding is that gate space at PHL is at a premium for the arriving TA flights between noon and 4pm, especially between 2:30-4:30. I am not aware of immediate issues for the departing banks with a need to board using remote stands
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nova08
My understanding is that gate space at PHL is at a premium for the arriving TA flights between noon and 4pm, especially between 2:30-4:30. I am not aware of immediate issues for the departing banks with a need to board using remote stands
This is my understanding as well. That said, AA could work around this by scheduling a ~10-11pm departure bank to closer European destinations (LIS, MAD, etc.) and having the corresponding planes turn around for an afternoon departure from Europe and early evening arrival back into PHL, after the present 2-4pm rush.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.