Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by C46
I disagree on that.
The issue, of not being able to make routes work, was mostly the equipment.

Look at DUS-ORD - AA was able to drive LH436 out of the market, as the fares were quite cheap.
But when they were the sole operator of this route, they went seasonal and kept flying the 767 to DUS.
The Europeans didn't care about the flag on the fuselage - they mostly complained about missing personal IFE and powerports.
Some of the pax were confused by the security procedures, but in the end the hard product killed it!

And look at other routes to Europe, that didn't make it, since 2010...they were most likely served by the 75 or 76.

Obviously ORD- DUS was not profitable for LH or AA that's why the route failed. There are plenty of 757 markets that have survived post 2010 and have been upgraded such as: LIS, AMS, DUB and SNN continues as a 757.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C46
And look at other routes to Europe, that didn't make it, since 2010...they were most likely served by the 75 or 76.
Correlation is not causation.

Overseas routes served with the 757 or 767 are more likely to be routes that are thin or new (exploratory and developmental in nature). In other words routes that aren't proven and may not have the economics to work. Failure is not necessarily due to the aircraft and it's hard product.

(and welcome to FT)
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:45 am
C46

Considering the delays, due to technicals, resulting in EU261/2004-claims, it's not surprising that AA wasn't making money in the end.

The load factors (especially up front) and the cargo loads were fine and they could have operated year-round, with 3-4 weekly in the winter.

But if e.g. 100.000€ are lost several times per month, due to reliability issues...well.

Of course, there were other issues, like the passenger service agents of 2016, who hardly generated any auxiliary revenue, as they, for some reason, rarely charged for extra/overweight bags...that season was the final nail in the coffin.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by bse118
Correlation is not causation.

Overseas routes served with the 757 or 767 are more likely to be routes that are thin or new (exploratory and developmental in nature). In other words routes that aren't proven and may not have the economics to work. Failure is not necessarily due to the aircraft and it's hard product.

(and welcome to FT)

Exactly....... its the market that matters more than anything else.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by C46
Considering the delays, due to technicals, resulting in EU261/2004-claims, it's not surprising that AA wasn't making money in the end.

The load factors (especially up front) and the cargo loads were fine and they could have operated year-round, with 3-4 weekly in the winter.

But if e.g. 100.000€ are lost several times per month, due to reliability issues...well.

Of course, there were other issues, like the passenger service agents of 2016, who hardly generated any auxiliary revenue, as they, for some reason, rarely charged for extra/overweight bags...that season was the final nail in the coffin.
AA expected the AB relationship to help attract German corporate passengers but they stayed with LH/UA - just changing planes in FRA/MUC/EWR instead of ORD.
Anecdotally, the loads on some flights may have been good but in the aggregate the loads and the yields were poor on the route. CX had the same problem when they attempted DUS.
LH/EW has a lock on the DUS-based business traffic.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:55 am
C46

Okay, let's just pretend that the offered hard product wasn't the problem and that nonstop business travel ex DUS is basically all going to LH/EW...

How is DL able to maintain a year-round operation of DL25/91 !?

What are they getting right, that AA can't figure out?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Cltfc
Spot on.... TXL, VIE and Bru are all star hubs or dominated by a star carrier..... AA struggles to compete in those markets. I m not saying PMO or NAP will happen I m just reporting what I am hearing
Which Star alliance carrier considers TXL a hub or is dominant there?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C46
Okay, let's just pretend that the offered hard product wasn't the problem and that nonstop business travel ex DUS is basically all going to LH/EW...

How is DL able to maintain a year-round operation of DL25/91 !?

What are they getting right, that AA can't figure out?
Not a single-variable problem. There are a number of differences between AA and DL's operation, including things such as the size of DL's ATL hub vs AA's ORD hub (where they ran the DUS flight); AA's costs vs. DLs (which we don't know); DL's internal "success" metrics for the flight vs AA's; what corporate contracts DL might / might not have on the route; etc.

Or let's say this: Why is AA able to maintain service to Montevideo, while no other US carrier flies there? (for example).
ashill and DMPHL like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Which Star alliance carrier considers TXL a hub or is dominant there?
With the demise of AB and LH having taking over a large majority of their operations, I'd say the answer's reasonably straightforward. LH was even running 744 turns to TXL from FRA for a period to cover the disappearance of AB from the skies last year. Now of course LH's strategy is to primarily serve TXL via EW, but between LH and EW (not to mention the degree to which LX, OS, SK and other *A carriers fly there...yeah, TXL is pretty much dominated by *A in general and the DLH group in particular.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Cltfc
Obviously ORD- DUS was not profitable for LH or AA that's why the route failed. There are plenty of 757 markets that have survived post 2010 and have been upgraded such as: LIS, AMS, DUB and SNN continues as a 757.
I really hope they bring ORD-DUS back, and maybe start a new ORD-TXL route? If they can make ORD-BCN work with the 788, one would think they can make DUS and TXL work, especially given the possibly higher number of biz travelers (like myself) to DUS compared with BCN.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jimmyboo

I really hope they bring ORD-DUS back, and maybe start a new ORD-TXL route? If they can make ORD-BCN work with the 788, one would think they can make DUS and TXL work, especially given the possibly higher number of biz travelers (like myself) to DUS compared with BCN.
I can't speak to the viability of ORD-DUS/TXL, but the business traffic on that route has almost nothing to do with ORD-BCN, which is summer seasonal and driven primarily be leisure (i.e. not a business market).
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by jimmyboo

If service to DUS ever comes back, or if service to TXL is inaugurated, my money would be on PHL getting those routes, and not ORD. Because they would be entirely made up of U.S. and Germany originating traffic. And ORD would require a lot of backtracking traffic on the U.S. side of the equation. But given that LH Group are picking up a a few of the fomer Air Berlin routes to the U.S., my guess is that DUS is not a possible candidate. And AA might hold out on Berlin service until there is a certain date for BER to finally open up in the near future. They may not want to incure the costs of opening up a station (TXL) if they will have to move after one or two years. However, I would love for AA to serve Berlin and would use the service regularly.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
NAP? That would be a surprise. I’m struggling to rationalize PHL to NAP after AA cut TLV for example. I’d think you’d see a return to that market before entry to NAP. Very interesting though.

And having lived in NAP for two years, oneWorld wasn’t practical. There was a poorly timed flight to BCN and three a day with BA to LGW, which would then require a bus transfer to LHR. Aside from AZ, LH had the most traffic with three a day to MUC and one to FRA. The first MUC flight was well timed for Atlantic connections.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
NAP? That would be a surprise. I’m struggling to rationalize PHL to NAP after AA cut TLV for example. I’d think you’d see a return to that market before entry to NAP. Very interesting though.
I think the costs of operating service out of TLV is a lot higher than doing so out of NAP. But I'm still trying to wrap my head around the notion of starting service to Naples in the first place. If AA were interested in starting a new route to Italy, I think Pisa would be better choice, as it would attract people who want to visit the Tuscan coast as well as Florence (which I think many more Americans visit than Naples).

Last edited by Fanjet; Jul 14, 2018 at 9:31 pm
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Fair. Although, few if any are going to Naples; most are going in buses to Pompei and the Amalfi Coast . But, the idea of even seasonal service to NAP or FLP and none to BRU and only one flight to AMS still doesn't make sense to me. But, neither did BUD or PRG. I don't have any inside knowledge, but the last two destinations seemed to take a play from DL's dart board approach to new destinations as opposed to AA's more conservative approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.