Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:13 am

it's really a vain attempt imo. They are really battling DFW to continental Europe against FI/WW. Not sure how many passengers are actually going to KEF. I'm sure they hate these LCCs squeezing their TATL yields, but their best way to battle is through BA's hub in LHR.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by YtravelF
And they’re introducing CLT-TUS.
US tried that a few years ago, so it should be re-introducing. I think it lasted a season or 2. If I remember right, the timing was very odd... An evening flight out of CLT, then a redeye back.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tphuang
it's really a vain attempt imo. They are really battling DFW to continental Europe against FI/WW. Not sure how many passengers are actually going to KEF. I'm sure they hate these LCCs squeezing their TATL yields, but their best way to battle is through BA's hub in LHR.
That would squeeze their TATL yields at peak TATL tourist season.

Fighting FI/WW by way of BA@LHR during peak TATL tourist season would risk AA (and its TATL JV) sacrificing pricing power more extensively than if restricting the battle to a limited theater of operation for that time. Whether AA’s approach works or not, whether it gets revised or not, time will tell. My bet is that AA service to KEF won’t be the primary reason FI or WW pull out when/where/if they do.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by aztimm
US tried that a few years ago, so it should be re-introducing. I think it lasted a season or 2. If I remember right, the timing was very odd... An evening flight out of CLT, then a redeye back.
Evening flight out and redeye back doesn't seem like odd timing at all; pretty standard utilization flight timing for a low-demand route from (close to) the east coast to (closeish to) the west coast. Somewhat inconvenient, perhaps (though for leisure travel, I very much like evening flights out from the east coast; allows a full day of work), but not odd.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by YtravelF
Also, ORD-MAN is going seasonal.
And they’re introducing CLT-TUS.
Won't that leave ORD-LHR as the only year round transatlantic service from ORD on AA metal? Even if you throw in IB, 2 transatlantic routes year round is....less than ideal. AA's been run out of FRA, CDG, BRU, MAN, and DUB on a year round basis, though I'd expect coverage year round once EI joins OW.

If anything ever drives me back towards UA, it's the increasing transantlantic weakness and dependence on LHR, which is not the world's greatest transfer facility. It'd be great to see OW reach out and grab something like a LOT and it's Warsaw hub, which would be a big step forward for European coverage.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ashill
Evening flight out and redeye back doesn't seem like odd timing at all; pretty standard utilization flight timing for a low-demand route from (close to) the east coast to (closeish to) the west coast. Somewhat inconvenient, perhaps (though for leisure travel, I very much like evening flights out from the east coast; allows a full day of work), but not odd.
Similar to what they're doing with CLT-SJC and CLT-PDX and a few others.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Not speculation, just saw a tweet from AA about service from ORD to YVR and YYC starting in May, plus increased service to eastern Canada.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA
PHL-YOW goes from 2x to 3x daily
PHL-YQB season extended through November
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by wrp96
Not speculation, just saw a tweet from AA about service from ORD to YVR and YYC starting in May, plus increased service to eastern Canada.
I just saw this reported in the Chicago Tribune. In addition, according to the article, AA announced service between ORD and Charleston, S.C., Bangor, Maine, and Myrtle Beach, S.C operated by American Eagle (Envoy) .
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Here's AA's Canadian service fact sheet.

Looks like service to Halifax & Waterloo are gone for good.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
I just saw this reported in the Chicago Tribune. In addition, according to the article, AA announced service between ORD and Charleston, S.C., Bangor, Maine, and Myrtle Beach, S.C operated by American Eagle (Envoy) .
I'm sure the Bangor flight is seasonal.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I'm sure the Bangor flight is seasonal.
It is loaded in booking systems as year-round and bookable through end of window.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
New (and resumed) routes this summer, as posted elsewhere:

April 3rd:
Philadelphia-JFK

May 7th:
DCA-Wilmington, N.C.

June 8th:
Dallas-Flagstaff, AZ
Dallas-Key West
Dallas-Misoula

Miami-Savannah

Chicago-Burlington
Chicago-Misoula
Chicago-Portland, Maine
Chicago-Savannah
Chicago-Wilmington, N.C.

June 9th:
Miami-Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
DFW-FLG is really surprising. I've followed that airport since I lived in Arizona and from 2003 on it's been able to support only the flights to PHX. AS briefly flew LAX-FLG but gave it up after less than two years. Maybe they're looking to remove PHX-FLG.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
New (and resumed) routes this summer, as posted elsewhere:

April 3rd:
Philadelphia-JFK

May 7th:
DCA-Wilmington, N.C.

June 8th:
Dallas-Flagstaff, AZ
Dallas-Key West
Dallas-Misoula

Miami-Savannah

Chicago-Burlington
Chicago-Misoula
Chicago-Portland, Maine
Chicago-Savannah
Chicago-Wilmington, N.C.

June 9th:
Miami-Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles
Originally Posted by CMK10
DFW-FLG is really surprising. I've followed that airport since I lived in Arizona and from 2003 on it's been able to support only the flights to PHX. AS briefly flew LAX-FLG but gave it up after less than two years. Maybe they're looking to remove PHX-FLG.
The DFW-FLG flight has to do with the Olympic training center in Flagstaff, this has to be a once a week flight.

I like that AA has other flights to Portland Maine than from NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.