Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by DWFI
Thinking about this further, it's a perfectly logical response and exactly akin to what BA is doing.

DY, L2 (LEVEL), WW, et al are totally trashing yields to key transatlantic cities. I have not seen summer fares to Europe this low in a long time.

The network carrier response can only be to service thinner destinations which are too big for 787s.

On the BA side, LHR-BNA, LHR-SJC, etc. are necessary responses.

On the AA side, ORD-VCE, PHL-BUD - even though these are traditionally lower yield markets, it's better than selling $500 roundtrips from BOS-CDG. So they're a rational way to deploy capacity in this market.
I think you're right, and these new routes will be served with LAA 767, so not exactly a premium product or one with a lot of seats. Fairly low risk, and I hope we'll even see some good award redemptions available. Prague and Budapest I believe are eligible for subsidies from PHL too. Slightly disappointed no BER, but still good ads nonetheless.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CNMAZ
Just viewed this on Twitter:

American Fleet Site‏ @AIRLINEUSA 5m5 minutes ago

AA will launch new summer '18 service from PHL-BUD, PRG, and relaunch ZRH! Also ORD-VCE! JFK is losing MAN, ZRH, and a CDG but gain DEN...
Originally Posted by ty97
Had to read that a few times to notice JFK is losing *a* CDG, not CDG overall which would have been head-popping. ZRH is still a surprise, but I guess the connection abilities of the PHL hub outweigh the move.

Gaining DEN doesn't seem much of a good trade-off, especially since DEN is exempted from the LGA perimeter rule.
As a DEN-based flyer - I am very happy to see a JFK flight added. It's long been the one missing link from AA's service here - and much more useful than a LGA flight for the TATL connection opportunities (even if some of them are being reduced out of JFK). More options is a good thing.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
It's official release from AA:

http://news.aa.com/press-releases/pr...?sf106407158=1

As for JFK-ZRH, it will be moved to PHL instead. Because of this, JFK has too many delays all the times. I think they will cancelled JFK-MAN nonstop.

As for PHL-BUD/PRG, they never flown it before. It is first-ever nonstop from PHL-BUD/PRG.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bse118
As a DEN-based flyer - I am very happy to see a JFK flight added. It's long been the one missing link from AA's service here - and much more useful than a LGA flight for the TATL connection opportunities (even if some of them are being reduced out of JFK). More options is a good thing.
^^^^^^^^ Agreed! Any indication on equipment or timing for DEN-JFK...praying it is not a red-eye.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
No...Non-Stop from PHL & ORD.
LOL...sense the sarcasm...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by bse118
I can see this, but even assuming the DEN-JFK is timed for Europe TATL (I assume/hope it will be) how many unique destinations are going to be left from JFK that you can't get from the numerous AA flights available DEN-DFW/ORD/PHL? With these changes for Summer 2018, MXP may be the only JFK TATL that you can't get on AA metal from DFW, ORD, or PHL. (you can get MXP from MIA, but realize that's a bit out of the way for DEN-MXP so I'm leaving MIA out of the conversation).

Perhaps the addition of DEN-JFK will help prop feed for the remaining JFK TATL, but still seems like a net loss for AA to JFK, even if it is a gain for DEN fliers.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:07 am

Don't know anything about what the corporate contracts meant for the J cabin, but judging by the consistently cheap economy fares on DL and AA for JFK-ZRH they must have really been struggling to fill the planes in the back.

Also received anecdotal evidence of friends flying the route on DL and saying it was the emptiest TATL plane they'd ever been on.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ty97
I can see this, but even assuming the DEN-JFK is timed for Europe TATL (I assume/hope it will be) how many unique destinations are going to be left from JFK that you can't get from the numerous AA flights available DEN-DFW/ORD/PHL? With these changes for Summer 2018, MXP may be the only JFK TATL that you can't get on AA metal from DFW, ORD, or PHL. (you can get MXP from MIA, but realize that's a bit out of the way for DEN-MXP so I'm leaving MIA out of the conversation).

Perhaps the addition of DEN-JFK will help prop feed for the remaining JFK TATL, but still seems like a net loss for AA to JFK, even if it is a gain for DEN fliers.
Not about unique connections - about having more options. More choice in schedule/timings. Backups in IRROPs. Etc.

Also a few more OneWorld connection options at JFK.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Official announcement at http://news.aa.com/press-releases/pr...?sf106407158=1.

In this, I'm seeing them adding:
PHL-BUD
PHL-PRG
ORD-VCE

I don't see anything about ZRH
Wild guess: they're not mentioning ZRH in the press release because it's moving a frequency rather than adding a frequency.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by DWFI
JFK-ZRH? Wow. AA must have lost some contracts to kill that.
I was surprised too, since this flight is often full up front. Something must be going on because it's super discounted:

https://goo.gl/flights/pMHX
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:03 pm
Suspended

JFK to a not insignificant degree being dismantled as an AA hub to Europe in favor of PHL.

And, the cuts of TATL ex-JFK flights are not over yet.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by JonNYC
JFK to a not insignificant degree being dismantled as an AA hub to Europe in favor of PHL.

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/894364306174865408

Maybe JFK-EDI and JFK-MXP are next. They could be served from PHL.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/894364306174865408

I'm surprised as the rumor had been Charlotte would see most of its T/A service cut with the exception of LHR and FRA. What else can they cut at JFK? EDI and maybe MXP? This news is hard to believe...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cltfc
I'm surprised as the rumor had been Charlotte would see most of its T/A service cut with the exception of LHR and FRA. What else can they cut at JFK? EDI and maybe MXP? This news is hard to believe...
My rumor mill always had it as PHL getting the new TATL service at the expense of JFK.

Did they announce the JFK-MAN cut today? I only just skimmed through what came out so far. JFK-EDI very much in danger as well.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Being based in ZRH I actually like the PHL addition as it offers more connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.