Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by commavia
Interesting. I would be very curious to see how a hypothetical PHL-MXP flight did. I guess, as is well known, it isn't hard to fill a plane to Italy in the summer, and of course Alitalia's ongoing woes can't hurt, either. But I'd be skeptical of the viability of PHL-MXP. If AA wants to increase its presence/exposure in MXP - which, again, given Alitalia may be logical - it seems like the far better way to do it is simply to upgauge JFK/MIA-MXP to 777s.
PHLMXP makes no sense, IMO. Small market and overlaps JFK.

Also, MIAMXP is already a 777.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
How about JFK? I thought AA had a strong international network there... I'd rather that they expand in JFK than PHL, as it makes more sense. JFK also services premium markets, such as LAX/SFO transcontinental service, so it'd make more sense to serve international flights that connect to those premium flights.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
its PHL
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
How about JFK? I thought AA had a strong international network there... I'd rather that they expand in JFK than PHL, as it makes more sense. JFK also services premium markets, such as LAX/SFO transcontinental service, so it'd make more sense to serve international flights that connect to those premium flights.
Well, that's true of every transatlantic market. In nearly all potential new markets, JFK will have considerably more demand (how much more varies somewhat by route), particularly in premium cabins, and connections from most major US markets but also more competition and slot constraints to deal with. PHL will have much more connecting feed, especially from many smaller markets, typically less nonstop competition (certainly no competition from US carriers on any new routes to Europe), and no slots to worry about (I think AA may be somewhat constrained by gate space and airport congestion at PHL, but I don't think that's nearly as likely to affect a few additional transatlantic flights at PHL as at JFK).
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by CLT
I've heard "whispers" of the following routes for next summer from PHL:

-a resumption of PHL-MXP with a 763 (US discontinued the route in 2009).
and
either: PHL-DUS, PHL-TXL, or PHL-HEL
Maybe PHL-EDI, or PHL-BHX
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I am curious to know why there is no U.S. with a non-stop to VIE? What is it about VIE that no one has tried this. I mean both DL & AA gave BUD a try and AC Rouge goes from YYZ. BUD while a very beautiful city, economically VIE would have a higher score than BUD.....
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Originally Posted by token385
I am curious to know why there is no U.S. with a non-stop to VIE? What is it about VIE that no one has tried this. I mean both DL & AA gave BUD a try and AC Rouge goes from YYZ. BUD while a very beautiful city, economically VIE would have a higher score than BUD.....
BUD made some strategic sense prior to Malev going belly up, as have previous attempts at making HEL service work. As for VIE, like any other location, the question is going to be on what AA management thinks its incremental revenue for any route. There's a reason why the same cities get service, and why airlines aren't necessarily looking to be the only one on a route. Sharing a profitable route is better than being exclusive on a money losing (can anyone say PHL-TLV?) one.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
AA used to have a partner from BUD, Malev, which collapsed several years ago. AA ceased BUD service shortly thereafter. Air Canada Scrooge's service is only seasonal. Also, there is no airline with a hub at BUD flying to the USA. VIE has a major airline hubbed there in OS, which flies several flights to the USA every day. The Budapest metro area also has about 700,000 more people than the Vienna metro area.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
FWIW DL did fly ATL-VIE for a while in he 2000's
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I am curious to know why there is no U.S. with a non-stop to VIE? What is it about VIE that no one has tried this.
TWA flew non-stop between JFK and VIE in the early to mid 90's.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
FWIW DL did fly ATL-VIE for a while in he 2000's
In 2007, Delta went crazy with 767s to Central and Eastern Europe, with Vienna, Prague, Kiev and even Bucharest. PRG still gets seasonal service. The rest are now served via CDG and AMS.

http://news.delta.com/delta-adds-vie...rnational-line

Why not VIE? I expect BA would point out they had five flights LHR-VIE today -- oneworld serves VIE well.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by dylanks
fwiw, BA added a second flight three days a week this May and June and loads have been very light except for economy. On the days with the second flight the early LHR-PHX and the late PHX-LHR have had less premium demand. A colleague was on the earlier flight on Tuesday, with economy full, premium economy 50% full, club world less than 50% and 1 or 2 passengers in F.

So while BA seems successful in filling the daily 747 in all classes, demand beyond that seems weak at the moment. However this lack of demand certainly hasn't led to a reduction in premium pricing from PHX or an increase in award availability.
Just talked to the BA agent @ PHX who told the second LHR flight has been full lately. Was hoping a second flight would provide more buy-up upgrade options and an earlier flight.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by commavia

And, of course, that memo confirms two "new" PHL 767 routes. I can't help but wonder if, for 2018, AA opts not to bring back DFW-AMS and instead just consolidates AMS back to PHL only with an upgauge of the route to a 767. In general, it isn't that surprising to see 767s starting to move into PHL. There are several longstanding PHL-Europe routes that seem, in today's environment, better suited to a 767 than A330. (Same goes for several CLT-Europe routes, too.) I will also be curious how AA will flow/bridge 767s into PHL - both DFW-PHL and MIA-PHL have seen 767s periodically since the merger.

Now I'm definitely interested to see the "official" public announcement of these two "new" routes.
We've agreed that these are very preliminary loads, but DFW-AMS has been loaded as a 772 for S18.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by remedy
Just talked to the BA agent @ PHX who told the second LHR flight has been full lately. Was hoping a second flight would provide more buy-up upgrade options and an earlier flight.
The report I shared was from one of the flights last week. I'm certainly hope by for a second flight going forward, but loads have been fairly light. On the days with two flights, the ones that are optimized for connections via LHR have had more demand (So the early PHX departure (290) and the late LHR departure (289) )
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks
The report I shared was from one of the flights last week. I'm certainly hope by for a second flight going forward, but loads have been fairly light. On the days with two flights, the ones that are optimized for connections via LHR have had more demand (So the early PHX departure (290) and the late LHR departure (289) )
On a side note, I can't find award seats on any of the BA flights out of PHX..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.