Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by jacobguo
I'd like to see PHL-SNA. Not like it's ever gonna happen within a reasonable timeframe though.
Or how about PHL-ONT?

One can dream, however delusional it may be.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:52 pm

this would be beautiful. But I’m skeptical on the “alternating with GRU” part. LAX-GRU is 6x weekly. It’d make more sense if it alternated days with LATAM’s LAX-SCL that is 3x weekly most of the year, especially if a JV happens. Adding 4x LAX-EZE seems feasible considering the Argentine population in LA.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I'm wondering if a return to POA would also mean a return to VCP, since the POA flight stopped there? The idea of a return to strong coverage from MIA to all of those points in Brazil is very exciting.
Is VCP even relevant? My impression is that it's the London-Stansted or London-Luton equivalent in São Paulo -- a really far out airport served by a bunch of LCC's, close to the city of Campinas but not sure how relevant of an international destination it is.

Per AA's network planning person: "We’re trying to orient the 767 that airplane for however long it stays in our fleet is really opening up brand new markets, prospect markets in Europe and even in Latin America. It’s been a long time since we’ve started a new market in Latin America and the 767 can do that."

Seems like he is hinting at an all new market... I don't think AA has served Fortaleza before, so if he is hinting at a new Brazil route served by the 767, I would think Miami - Fortaleza?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Wasn't POA bundled with CWB? I thought VCP was nonstop and purely retaliation for Azul starting FLL-VCP - not because MIA - VCP had any merits of its own.
You're right. It was CWB.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:35 am

How do you think the O'Hare expansion plans are going to play into AA's future in Chiago? I could see that AA would certainly increase the international offerings from ORD once the new terminals are built. With a FIS facility in the new Terminal 2, connections would be much easier. Also, the city now has control over the gates. As a result, the city can re-allocate gate space at will if they see that a particular airline isn't using them enough. AA would have to utilize the gates more efficiently and that would increase flights.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by trvlr70
How do you think the O'Hare expansion plans are going to play into AA's future in Chiago? I could see that AA would certainly increase the international offerings from ORD once the new terminals are built.
It looks like the airport-wide increase in gate count is 30: 185 gates today, 5 more becoming available in the near term, and the 2026 plan is for 220 gates. How many incremental gates is AA getting?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It looks like the airport-wide increase in gate count is 30: 185 gates today, 5 more becoming available in the near term, and the 2026 plan is for 220 gates. How many incremental gates is AA getting?
I'm not exactly positive, but I don't think that many more. However, several AA gates have been underutilized and the city has said that if that continues, they will re-allocate them to airlines that commit to higher usage. The control of the gates is no longer with the airlines (specifically UA/AA) which kept them not so much to utilize, but to keep out competition. UA and AA were locked in a "if you don't move, I won't move" situation. It has all changed now. Considering metro Chicago's high O&D numbers, I would expect a big increase in operations. It a basically, use it or loose it.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Or how about PHL-ONT?

How about we split it between the two of us?

I'll take Friday, Sunday, Monday and Thursday departures. You can have... the rest
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:32 pm

If we're dreaming, anyone besides DL into CSG. CSG CLT is ideal.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by autdi
If we're dreaming, anyone besides DL into CSG. CSG CLT is ideal.
Today I learned that DL operates 4X daily flights (3X on Saturday) the 83 miles between ATL and CSG.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Today I learned that DL operates 4X daily flights (3X on Saturday) the 83 miles between ATL and CSG.
I flew that so many times I lost count. Waiting on the ground for landing clearance, fastest wheels up to wheels down as announced by pilot was 12 minutes. Literally taxi time sometimes doubled time in the air.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by jacobguo
I'd like to see PHL-SNA. Not like it's ever gonna happen within a reasonable timeframe though.

Although UA do has SNA-EWR.
I have a feeling UA does very well on EWR-SNA. The fares are always extremely high and the flights tend to have high loads. It's just such a pain to get from LAX to SNA that it makes sense if you have the money. Orange County has a lot of traffic, and I would think it has enough to support PHL-SNA.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DA201
I have a feeling UA does very well on EWR-SNA. The fares are always extremely high and the flights tend to have high loads. It's just such a pain to get from LAX to SNA that it makes sense if you have the money. Orange County has a lot of traffic, and I would think it has enough to support PHL-SNA.
PHL O&D traffic/yield is nowhere near NYC though.

SNA routes are heavily business-oriented. I doubt PHL even has 1/10 of NYC's business traffic.
TWA884, AANYC1981 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA
LAX-XXX announcement super imminent, likely later this wk
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Or how about PHL-ONT?

I am also in agreement with some sort of better service to the East Coast from the other regional airports such as ONT or SNA. I somehow think CLT is more likely than PHL for ONT or SNA. It is good that both ONT and SNA have AA for ORD, but we know that is not sufficient.

Crazy that it is easier to get to Taiwan at ONT than some of these East Coast hubs. If DL would bring back ONT-ATL, I think some other actions are possible on AA frankly.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.