Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Flight schedule for ZRH from PHL according to Routesonline:

Philadelphia – Zurich eff 25MAR18 1 daily, service resumption since September 2016
AA092 PHL1820 – 0825+1ZRH 763 D
AA093 ZRH1015 – 1320PHL 763 D
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by florens
Flight schedule for ZRH from PHL according to Routesonline:

Philadelphia – Zurich eff 25MAR18 1 daily, service resumption since September 2016
AA092 PHL1820 – 0825+1ZRH 763 D
AA093 ZRH1015 – 1320PHL 763 D
Yep, it's all loaded up on AA.com and EF. Fantastic award availability too!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I'm enjoying this PHL expansion. Once the FL lounge is done there, it will be a nice hub to connect through instead of JFK (which has a whopping 1 flight from DFW daily most of the year).
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
I'm enjoying this PHL expansion. Once the FL lounge is done there, it will be a nice hub to connect through instead of JFK (which has a whopping 1 flight from DFW daily most of the year).
Yep.

The prognostications of doom and gloom for PHL as a hub in general, and transatlantic in particular - including some on these very pages - were never plausible.

PHL is extremely valuable to AA. Its strengths as a connecting hub - the combination of a level of O&D demand, relative lack of competition, capacity for both domestic and international traffic, and capability to cater to multiple banks of omni-directional connections throughout the day - are unrivaled by any other hub in the northeast except EWR.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
The fact that when I go to book it it shows up as a basic A321..
I'm thinking this is a error and a 77W will go back on the route.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Yes, hence why I stated "until it's gone."

Have you ever driven from South Miami to Fort Lauderdale? Or from LGB to Ventura for that matter? I'm not implying that the drive up 95 in S. Florida is pleasant in any way, but you're comparing it to a drive more than twice the distance across what is arguably the worst city to drive in in the county.
Yes and Yes (it was really to Oxnard) I did these two because of fare price but the amount of time it took to each location, the amount I saved wasn't worth the hassle of the drive.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by commavia
PHL is extremely valuable to AA. Its strengths as a connecting hub - the combination of a level of O&D demand, relative lack of competition, capacity for both domestic and international traffic, and capability to cater to multiple banks of omni-directional connections throughout the day - are unrivaled by any other hub in the northeast except EWR.
PHL doesn't really have the best O&D to be a stellar TATL hub. WAS, NYC, and BOS are all ahead of PHL by a fair margin. However, your other points are spot on. PHL is not slot restricted, like JFK, and not restricted in any other way, meaning there is no growth cap. Also, PHL is able to be a fortress hub for AA, which is really valuable. It is similar to DL @SLC or AA @CLT: it's geographic and competitive advantages outweigh the lower O&D.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:47 am

Now that AA has announced the new routes, it appears that all Transatlantic Service except for MXP and EDI fly non stop from PHL. What are the odds that these routes are moved or launch from PHL as well.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by DA201
PHL doesn't really have the best O&D to be a stellar TATL hub. WAS, NYC, and BOS are all ahead of PHL by a fair margin. However, your other points are spot on. PHL is not slot restricted, like JFK, and not restricted in any other way, meaning there is no growth cap. Also, PHL is able to be a fortress hub for AA, which is really valuable. It is similar to DL @SLC or AA @CLT: it's geographic and competitive advantages outweigh the lower O&D.
There's no doubt PHL lags behind O&D numbers of WAS, NYC, or BOS. But in FY16 ~61% of PHL traffic was O&D. Pretty sure these numbers are quite bigger than CLT and SLC.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:58 pm

Didn't Kirby say to UAL investors that PHL was AA/US's most profitable hub because of connecting traffic and he wanted to emulate that success at EWR?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
Didn't Kirby say to UAL investors that PHL was AA/US's most profitable hub because of connecting traffic and he wanted to emulate that success at EWR?
He didn't mention how profitable PHL was, but he did mention wanting to grow EWR like PHL.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....going-forward/
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
There's no doubt PHL lags behind O&D numbers of WAS, NYC, or BOS. But in FY16 ~61% of PHL traffic was O&D. Pretty sure these numbers are quite bigger than CLT and SLC.
Originally Posted by DA201
Indeed. PHL is certainly no equal of NYC in terms of O&D - but then, of course, few U.S. metro areas are. But the huge advantage of a hub at PHL is that AA dominates the market with minimal competition and, perhaps more importantly, PHL itself dominates traffic in and out of the metro area, with no other major airport in the region. The confluence of those two things gives AA an advantage not only in capturing O&D, but also in facilitating a breadth and depth of connections, across multi banks and destinations both domestic and international, that isn't possible at any other northeast hub except EWR.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
As a DEN-based flyer - I am very happy to see a JFK flight added. It's long been the one missing link from AA's service here - and much more useful than a LGA flight for the TATL connection opportunities (even if some of them are being reduced out of JFK). More options is a good thing.
Originally Posted by US @ DEN
^^^^^^^^ Agreed! Any indication on equipment or timing for DEN-JFK...praying it is not a red-eye.
And the flights have been loaded. And the DEN-JFK is a redeye. Groan.

So much for it being a useful addition.
(well, I suppose I could use it to connect to the daytime JFK-LHR services, but ugh).

[apologies is this was posted earlier and I missed it]
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
He didn't mention how profitable PHL was, but he did mention wanting to grow EWR like PHL.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....going-forward/
I have no idea if it is or isn't but I do know that the station is not run as if it is.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by millionmiler
I have no idea if it is or isn't but I do know that the station is not run as if it is.
That's about to change a bit as well.
econometrics likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by bse118
And the flights have been loaded. And the DEN-JFK is a redeye. Groan.
Then what's the point?

It seems that they are doing this for the O&D traffic instead of connecting traffic to Europe. So why not just fly into LGA instead (where you can have domestic connections there as well, like DCA and BOS)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.