Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
Speculation: New Routes, Hubs, Flights (2017 Onward)
Because there is community interest in having a purely speculative discussion about whether other airports will pop up to become focus cities or hubs, new routes, etc. the following new thread has been amalgamated on this topic.

Note:

Going: 9 A330-300, ER190, some older 757-200 and 8 767-300ER (leaving 17), MD-80

Coming: Remainder of 16 Boeing 26 787-8, 22 Boeing 787-9 (began later 2016). A320 family - 100 A321neo, and B737-800 (100 737-MAX8) aircraft.

See Cranky Flier article on 2016 fleet changes, AA-HP-US. Link.

Also see: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Speculation fun time: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? (consolidated)

Obsolete posts from 2015 on have been moved to ARCHIVE: Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - 2015 on

All posts prior to 2015 have been moved here: ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Print Wikipost

Speculation: Possible Routes (Flights) and Hubs, Discussion - (2017 on)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I've been flying DL a lot this year, and DL at ORD has yet to let me get to the baggage claim area without my bag being on the conveyor belt. Sure, it's a spoke city with no connecting flights except theoretically the ORD-CDG flight or some 2am flights to Mexico from T5, but the consistency DL has in baggage delivery is amazing. Between the speed and the messages to my app every step of the way, I check bags much more frequently on DL than on AA.
Hmmmm. Isn't Wasting time connecting to fly DL a far larger waste of time than waiting for checked bags on a direct flight.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Interesting about the JFK-SAN improvements. I wonder if this is flight timing or added service. This summer they've made the second seasonal flight be a red-eye leaving SAN (which I prefer) versus in the past when it was a noon departure. However, the normal year-round service does leave for a long layover at JFK if flying to/from Europe, though.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Funny this comes the day after announcing JFK-ZRH/MAN are going and hinting JFK is going to be more of a focus city than a hub. JFK-DEN over LGA-DEN is interesting. Usually, all flights that can go to LGA over JFK do go to LGA unless they are Eagle flights needed for feed, but I doubt JFK-DEN would be on an Eagle aircraft.

Edit:
I wonder if the enhancements to JFK-SEA/SAN/PHX are the introduction of the A321T on those routes. B6 already has Mint on JFK-SAN and announced they will put Mint on JFK-SEA in the future. This could be a catchup and preemptive move.

Last edited by DA201; Aug 17, 2017 at 6:52 pm
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by DA201
I wonder if the enhancements to JFK-SEA/SAN/PHX are the introduction of the A321T on those routes. B6 already has Mint on JFK-SAN and announced they will put Mint on JFK-SEA in the future. This could be a catchup and preemptive move.
You mean an A321 with only 72 coach seats on JFK-SEA/SAN/PHX?! There may be a market for an A321 with 16 lie-flat J/F seats, but 30 seems unlikely. This is one of AA's limitations in providing enhanced transcon service outside JFK-SFO/LAX. The A321T density may be right for those markets: they can sell premium seats and fill up the relatively few coach seats with expensive fares. Other markets may have a real market for fancy seats, but not that large a market, so they need more coach seats. But AA doesn't have enough narrowbodies with about 16 lie flat seats and a roughly-normal-sized coach cabin that could work in markets like JFK-SAN or BOS-LAX.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ashill
You mean an A321 with only 72 coach seats on JFK-SEA/SAN/PHX?! There may be a market for an A321 with 16 lie-flat J/F seats, but 30 seems unlikely. This is one of AA's limitations in providing enhanced transcon service outside JFK-SFO/LAX. The A321T density may be right for those markets: they can sell premium seats and fill up the relatively few coach seats with expensive fares. Other markets may have a real market for fancy seats, but not that large a market, so they need more coach seats. But AA doesn't have enough narrowbodies with about 16 lie flat seats and a roughly-normal-sized coach cabin that could work in markets like JFK-SAN or BOS-LAX.
Also the cheap and short sighted AA refurb of the 75L with no built in AVOD will prove to be quite antiquated compared to DL and B6 if that's the route they are going. Too early to tell what's going to happen though.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Funny this comes the day after announcing JFK-ZRH/MAN are going...
Not a coincidence, this announce is contained in a Q and A type thing that addresses:

Q: What does this say about JFK as a hub?

A: All nine hubs play a very important role in our overall network strategy, including the NYC market. JFK will continue to be an important strategic hub for American and our joint business partners. New York is one of the world's best business markets, and important strategic hub for American and our joint business partners. New York is one of the world's best business markets, and focusing on the locations that are vital to our business customers is a must when you're the world's largest airline...
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:51 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Hmmmm. Isn't Wasting time connecting to fly DL a far larger waste of time than waiting for checked bags on a direct flight.
There's also the issue that most people find the service on DL better and that the Skyclubs are about an order of magnitude better than the Admirals Clubs.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
SAN use to get Flagship service to JFK, hopefully they will get it again, SAN use to be a huge money maker for AA.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Q: What does this say about JFK as a hub?

A: All nine hubs play a very important role in our overall network strategy, including the NYC market. JFK will continue to be an important strategic hub for American and our joint business partners. New York is one of the world's best business markets, and important strategic hub for American and our joint business partners. New York is one of the world's best business markets, and focusing on the locations that are vital to our business customers is a must when you're the world's largest airline...
Delta said the same for MEM. United said the same for CLE. And we all saw how it worked out for MEM and CLE. The difference is JFK is a hub for Delta and JetBlue, plus the foreign airlines, so NYCers who prefer JFK will still have plenty of options.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:20 am

any hints on what those improvements might be? will we see lie flats?

SAN use to get Flagship service to JFK, hopefully they will get it again, SAN use to be a huge money maker for AA.
I can't imagine SAN being a huge money maker for AA once B6 gets to 32 daily mint seat. Based on the initial sales, it looks like there is quite a bit of premium demand on NYC-SAN market.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tphuang
I can't imagine SAN being a huge money maker for AA once B6 gets to 32 daily mint seat. Based on the initial sales, it looks like there is quite a bit of premium demand on NYC-SAN market.
I stated, SAN use to be huge money maker didn't say it was. But I would assume AA could take shares away from B6 is they brought back Flagship Service to JFK and possibly MIA.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I stated, SAN use to be huge money maker didn't say it was. But I would assume AA could take shares away from B6 is they brought back Flagship Service to JFK and possibly MIA.
B6 only serves SAN with Mint from JFK and soon BOS. No FLL-SAN so I would strongly doubt you'll see any kind of upgraded AA offering on MIA-SAN.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tphuang
any hints on what those improvements might be? will we see lie flats?
A follow up comment in the post mentioned "offering even better schedules". Sounds like some JFK-PHX frequencies may be retimed. AA currently offers one frequency on JFK-SAN and JFK-SEA, both departing JFK in the evening - these may be changed to depart JFK in the morning.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA
Edit:
Well, one JFK-SFO 321T frequency was just cut earlier this year, so presumably that frees up some 321T's for other service. On JFK-SFO (unlike for JFK-LAX), I have been told AA has had difficulty filling up F (and to a lesser extent business + coach) so perhaps this may lead to a further reduction of frequencies that can be reallocated to these other cities.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by Cltfc
I'm surprised as the rumor had been Charlotte would see most of its T/A service cut with the exception of LHR and FRA.
Ever since the merger there have been people predicting doom in CLT to both domestic and int'l. Hasn't happened yet.
Originally Posted by diver858
PHL is TERRIBLE for international connections.
Relative to what? Given a choice between PHL and JFK for I->D, I'd choose PHL. Or have you tried MIA at 5:30 am?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.