Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

What’s next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Miler™ balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
Print Wikipost

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by WhatsInYourBackpack
This seems to be less likely to occur now that Delta has wiped out the restrictions.

United is really the only one with the heavy restrictions going fwd at the moment.
Note, US has SWUs for CPs that are valid on all non-opaque classess too.

Safe Travels
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
Yesterday US updated this page with the following wording, emphasis mine:
We plan to continue relationships with the following airlines, so you can continue to earn and redeem Dividend Miles on these select partners even after we've exited Star Alliance: Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP and Turkish Airways.

Any idea what this means going forward? I notice they stated "Dividend Miles"...will we only be able to use those for award redemptions on these airlines, or will AA miles apply too? And what award chart will they utilize? As someone who was personally lamenting the loss of US from Star Alliance for access to TK awards, I'm hoping this changes things even after the Dividend Miles and AAdvantage Miles are one and the same.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
They sent out an email this morning with the same thing, I'm excited about being able to book Eva, Singapore and Air China potentially with AAdvantage miles! Interesting to see how this develops and how they segregate AAdvantage and Dividend Miles especially if we can move them between accounts early next year as speculated.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Of all people, you two ought to know AA doesn't discriminate against, or express preference for, any particular passengers' dollars. In fact, at this very moment, they are probably planning new ways of getting more out of us / our clients.

I doubt any of us will actually volunteer any...
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TAM is included on that list from US; doesn't TAM join Oneworld on March 31?

Earn and burn on Singapore? Now, THAT is something to get excited about.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Microwave
So these were more pre-emptive eye rolls, just in case another FlyerTalker has that opinion?

Fair enough, resent away. Everyone is entitled to resent as much as he or she would like. No need or justification for being unwelcoming and disrespectful to other members by eyerolling though. In fact, I would posit that being measured and thoughtful may even have the potential to sway others' opinions more than eyerolling.
Ok, now we're venturing into wonderland with claims of being "unwelcoming" and "disrespectful". Interesting to note that you don't seem to consider an opinion that suggests that most participants of FT shouldn't really have elite status as "unwelcoming" or "disrespectful" but an eye-roll to that opinion is both. Just to be clear, I didn't find the OP to be either of those things - just trying to understand how you reach the conclusion that you did.

Re your first point: nothing pre-emptive about the eye-rolls at all. They were directed very firmly at the point being made. My comment about who usually puts forward ideas such as the one provided was an observation, nothing more.

Last edited by Stripy; Dec 16, 2013 at 9:48 pm Reason: Typo
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Earn and burn on Singapore? Now, THAT is something to get excited about.
Except Singapore Airlines Suites, First Class and Business Class cabin products on the A380, B777-300ER and A340-500 aircraft...

...if the current US situation mirrors the future.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Microwave
My belief is that status is a mechanism to drive loyalty and, ultimately, incremental revenue. By only showing benefits to those who've purchased an expensive ticket on each flight, an airline is in fact working directly against that drive to create loyalty by incenting customers to purchase the cheapest ticket which provides them with these benefits each time he or she flies. To put it another way, if I put all of my business flying to AA (even if it's just economy flying, business flyers often still pay more than leisure travellers might), I'm more likely to continue bringing that business to AA if AA create a mechanism to bring me value for that loyalty.
Except most of the benefits that FF elites get are benefits which are ALREADY part of a premium ticket.

Early boarding? If you have a paid-premium class ticket, you board early even if you have no status.

Free luggage? Also a benefit included with premium tickets.

Waived change fees? Premium fare tickets are already far more flexible.

Lounge access on international flights? Check - already part of the premium class ticket's built-in benefits.

Elite benefits are most valuable to people who do NOT buy premium class but fly frequently in economy. Most of the benefits we enjoy so much revolve around access to benefits which would otherwise limited to people who paid big $$$$ for the ticket.

So it's quite illogical to take FF benefits away from people who appreciate it the most in order to duplicate those benefits for people who already paid premium fares.

Anyways... I read that announcement as indication the miles accumulated under the DM program will not be converted to the merged FF mileage program and could still be used for Star Alliance redemption.

Strongly suggesting that future mileage earning will be credited to AAdvantage.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Speculation Discussion)

The only guarantee is that 2 years from now the AAdvantage program will be substantially worse than it is today. Spend requirement, increased redemption levels and fewer benefits are all on the horizon. To think otherwise is to be very naive about the current state of the US airline industry.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Elite benefits are most valuable to people who do NOT buy premium class but fly frequently in economy.
Elite benefits are most valuable to those who fly enough in economy to reap them. This includes people who
  1. Fly frequently in economy
  2. Fly premium on OPM and fly economy on their own dime
  3. Fly economy on OPM and fly premium on their own dime

The third category may sound mythological but I am an actual example.

My employer's policy is economy for all flights no matter how long. I am willing to spend my own money to sit up front on my personal travel. The FF program gains my loyalty when I can chose by offering benefits I can use when I can't chose.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by alpen1
They sent out an email this morning with the same thing, I'm excited about being able to book Eva, Singapore and Air China potentially with AAdvantage miles! Interesting to see how this develops and how they segregate AAdvantage and Dividend Miles especially if we can move them between accounts early next year as speculated.
I wonder how long they'd let cross transfers and *A bookings happen.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Originally Posted by kpowed
I wonder how long they'd let cross transfers and *A bookings happen.
Hopefully a while, it gives some powerful options to US DM members. You can essentially book one itinerary under two alliances while still receiving US DM Status benefits.

Although more realistically, I'd imagine it will proceed until sometime in early 2015. My guess is that they're honoring these relationships because some of the *A partners need the locations US Air flies to. Come around March 2015 (guestimate), should give partner airlines enough time to figure out how to get their connecting pax to/from places on a different *A/partner carrier.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The only guarantee is that 2 years from now the AAdvantage program will be substantially worse than it is today. Spend requirement, increased redemption levels and fewer benefits are all on the horizon. To think otherwise is to be very naive about the current state of the US airline industry.
I'm guessing AAdvantage will be the same or slightly better at first (to attract UA FFers) and degrade over time. It may still be about as good as today two years from now.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: None
It's worth noting that the email I say referred to codeshare partners and NOT alliance partners. Codeshare booking will continue unchanged, at least for a while. One just has to remember that codeshares are different from alliances although they often coincide. Codeshare only means that two carriers have an agreement that allows each carry to put their code (name, flt #) on some of the other carriers flights. A carrier - say US - can have a codeshare with a partner that isn't in *A, OW, or ST - or is in a different alliance. Conversely, a carrier usually doesn't have a codeshare relationship on all it's flights with alliance partners.

Jim
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Anyways... I read that announcement as indication the miles accumulated under the DM program will not be converted to the merged FF mileage program and could still be used for Star Alliance redemption.

Strongly suggesting that future mileage earning will be credited to AAdvantage.
Planning to top off the account with recent promotion from US ( Buy X Get Bonus X Miles upto 50000 ) , hoping the same will be converted/merged to AA Miles

Should i be concerned ??

Thanks
- Rbn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.