Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 1, 14, 10:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

What’s next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Miler™ balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 11, 13, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My best guess is that they'll hold off doing anything too radical or too controversial for a year or two. You don't have to be in the middle of a reorganization to change FF benefits if that's what you want to do (take a look at recent goings on at UA and DL) so there's no hurry for DP. With that in mind I don't see NewAA feeling the need to rock the boat too much while their customers are finding their feet with the new airline. Once the integration has been done and once the irritating (to PAX) glitches have been ironed out and forgotten, that's when I think we'll see DP's true intentions. I don't think it will be pretty.
Old Dec 11, 13, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic
Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
Effectively, we can self-combine for status in 2014. Beginning around January 7, we will be able to credit US flight to AA and AA flights to US. So pick one account or the other and credit all AA and US flights to that single account.

(Admittedly, it would easier if new AA combined the miles for status at year end, and perhaps they will. But in case they don't, this is a way to manage it)
I have a flight booked under my AA number right now but would prefer to use US where I have status. Hopefully/presumably I'll be able to change that on the reservation on 1/8. Right?
Old Dec 11, 13, 5:38 pm

When do you guys reckon we will be able to credit US metal miles to AA's partners such as AS?
Old Dec 11, 13, 5:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Amtrak S+, AA Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by agp423 View Post
When do you guys reckon we will be able to credit US metal miles to AA's partners such as AS?
Probably not for a while; it's not terribly easy to accomplish from a systems perspective, I doubt it's a priority for AS, and it's almost certainly not one for US. My money's on AS ultimately joining oneworld: with the slow decomposition of the DL-AS codeshare agreement and AS now counting all partner travel (thereby adding BA, CX, QF) towards MVP status, I'd be very surprised if they don't join. So I'd say at the earlier of the unified operating certificate and AS joining oneworld.
Old Dec 11, 13, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
I have a flight booked under my AA number right now but would prefer to use US where I have status. Hopefully/presumably I'll be able to change that on the reservation on 1/8. Right?
We're pretty sure that's true for flights on 1/7 or later, but are waiting for full details to be announced yet.
Old Dec 12, 13, 12:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by agp423 View Post
That might never happen. It doesn't make sense for AS and US to invest in the IT infrastructure for that to be implemented.
Old Dec 12, 13, 8:26 am

That's true, but hopefully it won't take too long for the US system to be fully integrated into AA.
Old Dec 12, 13, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
If any former AA Execs show any type of adversarial relationship with the new crew they won't last long in their new job. Former BKs or anything else should not play into the equation. Both AA and US made money this year. Both programs are successful and have their Merits.
A merger where execs have to fear that disagreement with the CEO's team will result in being fired is a merger doomed to fail.

That's on top of the fact that US Airways CEO is getting the top job but it's not as if US Airways is somehow swallowing AA from a position of dominance.

I seriously doubt any current AA executive is going to be worried about being fired just because they're "adversarial" especially if they are executives in the AAdvantage program which is still a money maker which has far more members than Dividend Miles.

As others have noted, it makes no sense to make over AAdvantage to emulate DM. It's not as if DM is some kind of extraordinary market leader that was critical in the success of US Airways....
Old Dec 12, 13, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC View Post
It's hard to believe that the combined AA won't allow the full year's EQM on both AA and US to be combined for 2014 Elite qualification, even though the US web site today says just the opposite.
Most unlikely since the programs are going to remain separate through most of 2014. You've either earned your status in your main program, or you didn't. Next year mileage will be pooled for 2015 status, but it was always clear the merger would be a long process.

Also, when AmericaWest took over US there were a lot of first-year incentives to encourage HP and US elites to stay with the combined airline. I expect it will be the same this time (same management), particularly given the dissatisfaction of the UA Mileage Plus elites. I would think AA would try to attract UA flyers by offering status matching and holding off $ requirements for elite qualification until at least 2015. At least that's my hope.
Very different circumstances now. Fewer places to "defect". The main issue for US elites is if they are wedded to STAR...and if so, is the UA program (with its spend requirement taking effect next year for 2015 status) attractive enough? I doubt it having made the move to AA because the CO/UA merger took too much away from me as a 1K.
Old Dec 12, 13, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by masonuc View Post
After reading about the AA program, I feel pretty confident that the new program will mostly resemble US. Because when the US execs read how AA's program works, they're going to be like... "WHAT THE F***?" It's too damn long and confusing. Holy hell. This is why your airline went bankrupt. They probably spent millions just training people in all that insanity.
And how confusing is the fact that AmericaWest and USAir still have completely different rosters and other operational issues? AA went into bankruptcy because every one of its competitors had had their balance sheets wiped clean, pension plans transferred, and planes refinanced. The only way it could remain competitive was to go through the same "haircut" and come out with similar characteristics.

Yes, the AA FF program is quite rich for top tier elites, and I consider it the best among US carriers for inflight benefits and other matters.
Old Dec 12, 13, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Originally Posted by Plato90s View Post
The award routing rules are something which only a small percentage of users will ever care about and primarily concern international routes.
If bloggers at BA and elsewhere are believed, US has some weird routing rules that their IT never enforces.

If the new management suddenly has newer software that can enforce these things, why would they drop them?

Probably not what you want to hear, I know.
Old Dec 12, 13, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I seriously doubt any current AA executive is going to be worried about being fired just because they're "adversarial" especially if they are executives in the AAdvantage program which is still a money maker which has far more members than Dividend Miles..
Adversarial and disagreement are two different things. If I told my boss I am gonna do things my way because your last business failed, I guarantee I wouldn't last long.
Old Dec 13, 13, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Adversarial and disagreement are two different things. If I told my boss I am gonna do things my way because your last business failed, I guarantee I wouldn't last long.
By the same token, if the new boss comes in and says everything will be done my way since your business was in bankruptcy, I guarantee the new boss and his team will fail.

The theory presented that the merged loyalty program will be structured liked Dividend Miles seems largely based on the assumption that since the CEO is from US Airways, all things will be done US Airways style.

That's how you guarantee a failed merger, as AA found out when it tried to "merge" with TWA by discarding all of TWA's existing procedures, infrastructure, culture, etc...

There are parts of AA which are clearly problematic, but AAdvantage is not one of those parts.
Old Dec 14, 13, 8:56 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Quote:

The theory presented that the merged loyalty program will be structured liked Dividend Miles seems largely based on the assumption that since the CEO is from US Airways, all things will be done US Airways style.

There are parts of AA which are clearly problematic, but AAdvantage is not one of those parts.
Likewise the theory presented that the merged loyalty program will be structured liked AAdvantage seems largely based on the assumption that since they have more members it must be a superior program. (or that their members are so inflexible that they can't deal with changes to industry norms - for good or bad)

AA and US have served different customer bases ... What works for someone with heavy international travel is different than what works for heavy northeast corridor travel. The key will be compromise as both models can be profitable yet if either group feels dissed the new AA may lose the margin to be successful.
Old Dec 14, 13, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
According to the "Loyalty Program" page of the US web site:
This is great if it lasts, but it leaves a bunch of open questions:
  • Will this include all flights for these carriers, or just flights on routes that don't compete with AA routes? I've looked at the US and AA route maps and believe there are relatively few competing non-stop routes, but there would certainly be lots of OW partner routes with one connection that compete directly.
  • Is this just a transition thing, or something that we can expect to last for some period of time?
  • It says "earn miles", but it doesn't say whether we'll be able to use miles for award travel and/or upgrades on these airlines.

Has anyone seen anything relevant to these questions?
Yesterday US updated this page with the following wording, emphasis mine:

We plan to continue relationships with the following airlines, which means you’ll be able to earn and redeem miles on these select partners even after we’ve exited Star Alliance: Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP and Turkish Airways.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: