Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 1, 14, 10:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Whatís next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Milerô balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 10, 13, 8:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
If it were me, I'd keep the three tiers and just sweeten the elite rewards at 75K.
Perhaps AA should introduce regional SWUs at 75K, issue like 8 at 75K and 8 more at 100K and give EXP the option to upgrade intl itineraries with two of them.

AA should most definitely keep the e500s, those e500s make a lot of money and because people pay for them, it pays for the above average domestic F service that AA has.
Old Dec 10, 13, 8:55 pm

Programs: an inch longer than you. Seriously, this is BS just for bragging.
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
US Air [sic]
seriously?

would it have been better if i said US Scare? Don't take it personally, no need to nit pick. To some it will always be US Air from a long time of flying them before leaving for AA.

The irony of the AA / USAir merger is now we're all in the same pool and hoping Parker won't pee in the water.

Last edited by LovePrunes; Dec 11, 13 at 1:37 pm Reason: had an extra word before Parker that didn't make sense
Old Dec 11, 13, 3:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Other then the meal thing, I disagree, My experience dealing with US customer service has been excellent, and the US Envoy product is on par.
If you are comparing US Envoy's soft product to British Airways or Cathay in premium economy, yeah, it's on par. But US Airways' J seats can often cost the same as BA Y+, so one shouldn't expect more. It's premium economy with a (bare bones) lie-flat seat and represents a great value.
Old Dec 11, 13, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
seriously?
now we're all in the same pool and hoping nobody Parker won't pee in the water.
this is great
Old Dec 11, 13, 9:36 am
Suspended

After reading about the AA program, I feel pretty confident that the new program will mostly resemble US. Because when the US execs read how AA's program works, they're going to be like... "WHAT THE F***?" It's too damn long and confusing. Holy hell. This is why your airline went bankrupt. They probably spent millions just training people in all that insanity.
Old Dec 11, 13, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by masonuc View Post
After reading about the AA program, I feel pretty confident that the new program will mostly resemble US. Because when the US execs read how AA's program works, they're going to be like... "WHAT THE F***?" It's too damn long and confusing. Holy hell. This is why your airline went bankrupt. They probably spent millions just training people in all that insanity.
Pretty sure the folks running the AAdvantage program would point out that they have more members and that the US Airways execs took their airline into bankruptcy twice in 2002 and 2004 so clearly they're not in a position to lecture AA about their one bankruptcy.

When considering that oneWorld airlines generally also has only 3 tier instead of 4 tier, I don't see why the combined company would decide to use the US Air approach.

Especially since it's already been noted that changing to 4 tiers could mean a lot of upset lifetime GLD/PLT members.
Old Dec 11, 13, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Stripy View Post
Probably worth pointing out that if you're already flying 90k but don't do the extra to get to 100k then status probably doesn't matter to you (the difference in benefits between any hypothetical 75k tier and EXP will still be substantial). If it does matter then you're being foolish by not putting the effort in (2 x trans-con). The only people that this may truly benefit are those who fly 75k-85k a year IMO. In fact, 3 tiers may even benefit those who are used to doing 50k-65k on US as their benefits would be better (if all things stay the same).
Not all elites are FlyerTalkers. A lot of business travelers I know are very loyal, but would never take an extra flight just for status; they want to travel less, not more. They are very loyal, though -- they look at how much they travel in an average year, figure out which program offers them the best benefits, and choose accordingly.

Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
seriously?

would it have been better if i said US Scare? Don't take it personally, no need to nit pick. To some it will always be US Air from a long time of flying them before leaving for AA.
Hey, I was being comparatively polite. This is a huge pet peeve for us US forum folks. You've had since 1997 to figure it out

Alternately, I could start saying American Airways. It was the original name, after all...
Old Dec 11, 13, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Plato90s View Post
Pretty sure the folks running the AAdvantage program would point out that they have more members and that the US Airways execs took their airline into bankruptcy twice in 2002 and 2004 so clearly they're not in a position to lecture AA about their one bankruptcy.

When considering that oneWorld airlines generally also has only 3 tier instead of 4 tier, I don't see why the combined company would decide to use the US Air approach.

Especially since it's already been noted that changing to 4 tiers could mean a lot of upset lifetime GLD/PLT members.
The bankruptcy arguments on each side are invalid. Both have been through bankruptcies and both under different leadership than the new AA will have today.

As far as OW only having three tiers I don't think that will matter. *A only has TWO tiers and both UA and US still have four tiers. If AA creates 4 tiers both the 50k and 75k fliers would probably be OW Sapphire, just as they are now.
Old Dec 11, 13, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
I don't disagree with your overall point -- but the US execs who went into bankruptcy in 2002 and 2004 are long gone. The executive suite at the new airline is largely populated by folks from HP and folks hired away from other carriers (largely NW).

That said -- you have to admit that aspects of AAdvantage are unusually confusing. The award routing rules (there has to be a published cash fare for the route? Huh?) make my head hurt, and I can't figure out how half of them benefit the airline in any way. I would be shocked if there weren't a push to simplify the more technical aspects of the program.
Old Dec 11, 13, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't disagree with your overall point -- but the US execs who went into bankruptcy in 2002 and 2004 are long gone. The executive suite at the new airline is largely populated by folks from HP and folks hired away from other carriers (largely NW).

That said -- you have to admit that aspects of AAdvantage are unusually confusing. The award routing rules (there has to be a published cash fare for the route? Huh?) make my head hurt, and I can't figure out how half of them benefit the airline in any way. I would be shocked if there weren't a push to simplify the more technical aspects of the program.
The award routing rules are something which only a small percentage of users will ever care about and primarily concern international routes.

When considering that AAdvantage remained a money maker for AA even when it was taking losses, I don't see why management would choose to discard the program in favor of DM.
Old Dec 11, 13, 12:05 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
I Agree With That, Completely

While I will admit I am not looking forward to working through this merger as a US Chairman, I hope so much that they carry over as much simplicity of the Dividend Miles program as possible. I can take/understand a minimum spend...but the rest of this stuff makes my head spin.
Old Dec 11, 13, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
If any former AA Execs show any type of adversarial relationship with the new crew they won't last long in their new job. Former BKs or anything else should not play into the equation. Both AA and US made money this year. Both programs are successful and have their Merits.
Old Dec 11, 13, 1:34 pm

Programs: an inch longer than you. Seriously, this is BS just for bragging.
Not all elites are FlyerTalkers. A lot of business travelers I know are very loyal, but would never take an extra flight just for status; they want to travel less, not more. They are very loyal, though -- they look at how much they travel in an average year, figure out which program offers them the best benefits, and choose accordingly.

Hey, I was being comparatively polite. This is a huge pet peeve for us US forum folks. You've had since 1997 to figure it out

Alternately, I could start saying American Airways. It was the original name, after all...
No matter to me what people call the new American. It will always be AA and easier to refer to it that way for many of us for many years. I can't believe that calling it USAir instead of US Airways could be THAT irritating, what's the big deal? I mean if it bugs it bugs, but one thing that the AA forum has suffered from is a HUGE issue of people getting caught up correcting grammar, admonishing others for not searching well enough before they posted, and generally being unfriendly and snarky in what they post. There's a long thread and a poll done about the subject just before the forums were combined, you can read here . Don't know how it was on the PM US forum, but over here on AA it has gotten kind of rude sometimes. Some of the long/oldtimers here actually get off on it seemingly. I took the chance to sort of say don't bother correcting USAir/US Airways because it's just not worth it.

Corollary for me to how this bugs you: I've had to get used to the fact that some people like to take photos of their food on their tray table and post them here, all the while I'm thinking in their head they must say "Ooooh, isn't this FANCY." lol. I know they probably aren't, but it's just a pet peeve and I've had to let it go.

I never flew much on US and now that the name has been retired, I think it's unlikely I'll get much practice to start saying it "right". I hope they just leave the mileage program AAdvantage because all the AA stuff we've learned how to use the right words to search and find what we need to find here on FT, if they go back and clean all those old ones up to remove the second A because AA removes it, it'll be a pain in the butt to search.

PS I do hope Parker will fix the UGLY new tail on the newly painted planes. (but that's another topic)

Last edited by LovePrunes; Dec 11, 13 at 1:41 pm
Old Dec 11, 13, 2:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by masonuc View Post
when the US execs read how AA's program works, they're going to be like... "WHAT THE F***?" It's too damn long and confusing. Holy hell. This is why your airline went bankrupt. They probably spent millions just training people in all that insanity.
Old Dec 11, 13, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave View Post
Yeah, I'm in agreement here.

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

I can understand people being confused about fees - heck, I just learned yesterday that apparently EXPs get charged for same day confirmed changes and I've been EXP for years.

However, I don't really see what could be that confusing about the AAdvantage Program in general. Different, yes... but difficult ???

AA has made tons from the AAdvantage program. The program is bringing with it a lot more weight than the US program. Now this is speculation, but I would imagine AA's is the initial framework so as not to rock the boat.
Re-train More or Fewer Employees?
Make Changes that could be perceived as significant for the majority or the minority of legacy customers and contracts?

Maybe they make modifications initially and/or down the road, but I suspect the AAdvantage model is going to be the framework going forward.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: