Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 1, 14, 10:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Whatís next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Milerô balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 19, 14, 3:08 pm
  #856  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PHL
Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Posts: 1,939
Originally Posted by pasha13 View Post
American is more of a long haul carrier.
American is more of a long haul carrier than UA or DL? What are the stats?
Segments is offline  
Old Jul 19, 14, 5:15 pm
  #857  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SFO, LON
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Posts: 2,341
Originally Posted by Segments View Post
American is more of a long haul carrier than UA or DL? What are the stats?
In the context of the discussion I think it means more than USAir.
MarkedMan is offline  
Old Jul 19, 14, 5:47 pm
  #858  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PHL
Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Posts: 1,939
Originally Posted by MarkedMan View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Segments

American is more of a long haul carrier than UA or DL? What are the stats?




In the context of the discussion I think it means more than USAir.
I agree that US averages shorter segments than AA. The argument for why AA only requires 100 segments for top tier vs US requiring 120 (for the same 100,000 mile level) was rationalized on average segment length. (With US having many shorter flights)

Since UA and DL segment requirements for top tier elite aligns closer to US, their average segment length is relevant. If their avg segment length matches to US the argument holds. If it more closely matches or exceeds AA, then the logic fails.
Segments is offline  
Old Jul 19, 14, 9:52 pm
  #859  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: High Point, NC
Programs: None
Posts: 9,171
Originally Posted by Segments View Post
Since UA and DL segment requirements for top tier elite aligns closer to US, their average segment length is relevant. If their avg segment length matches to US the argument holds. If it more closely matches or exceeds AA, then the logic fails.
Not necessarily a failure of logic as changes in the US network as time passed. US was once really a northeastern airline with a few routes outside of that. So making the FF program competitive - at that time - with the bigger airlines meant more segments for each status level that was based on miles. Even though US' network grew and shrank, the segment qualifier remained the same - not that the average stage length changed drastically.

Jim
BoeingBoy is offline  
Old Jul 20, 14, 6:46 am
  #860  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ORD, sadly...
Programs: AA Exec Plat
Posts: 213
Originally Posted by imapilotaz View Post

Try being a DFW based 100-segment EXP. It sucks. Big time. It's hard to add extra segments because bouncing off MIA, JFK, LGA, or LAX always adds more to the cost. THe only help is ORD, and that's a cluster in both the summer and winter for weather cancellations.
Indeed. I only flew half the year last year, and managed to get to Plat. My status comes from segments - no international travel, no transcon, I rarely go to the coasts at all! Anytime a connecting fare is cheaper or even a minor increase over the non-stop, I'll take it to get the extra segment. EXP will clear in September!

Sometimes there are cheaper connections out of DFW through unlikely places like MCI, TUL, OKC, STL, etc. Guess they just need butts in the seats and offer good deals.
GrumpyYoungMan is online now  
Old Jul 20, 14, 6:52 am
  #861  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Posts: 1,573
Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

I thought I would qualify with segments, but getting 10k pqms from the CC always helps me do it via miles.
heyeaglefn is offline  
Old Jul 20, 14, 1:42 pm
  #862  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Posts: 38,128
Originally Posted by austin_res View Post
AA has 10-across on their 77W for over 1 year now. But UA and DL still have 9-across seating in Y on their 777s, and don't appear to have any plans to switch to 10-across. If most passengers don't care, why aren't UA and DL changing to 10-across to take advantage of more revenue potential?
And those same 777s have 1-2-1 in business class while UA's 777s for most of the fleet have 2-4-2! And the rest have 2-2-2. So which would you prefer to fly? Plus AA elites have access to the greyer pitch 3-3-3 seats.
Shareholder is offline  
Old Jul 20, 14, 1:56 pm
  #863  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Posts: 38,128
Originally Posted by Col Ronson View Post
And quite honestly, 80% of passengers aren't going to care about 10-across seating on a 777. All the airlines that do it are still enjoying hefty load factors and profits. AA's 77Ws in the main cabin at 10-across are flying out full, so its not like people are avoiding it. Sure it sucks, but hey whatever.
Everyone lauds EK as having the best premium cabins but seldom mention it flies 10-across on its 777 fleet, so why condemn AA and other NAmerican carriers who are forced by economics to adopt such seating?
Shareholder is offline  
Old Jul 21, 14, 1:19 am
  #864  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Posts: 449
Originally Posted by Segments View Post
I agree that US averages shorter segments than AA. The argument for why AA only requires 100 segments for top tier vs US requiring 120 (for the same 100,000 mile level) was rationalized on average segment length. (With US having many shorter flights)

Since UA and DL segment requirements for top tier elite aligns closer to US, their average segment length is relevant. If their avg segment length matches to US the argument holds. If it more closely matches or exceeds AA, then the logic fails.
I always thought UA changed the segment amounts needed so that they were not giving 1k benefits to those that only were basically using them as a commuter bus for a short distance so they figured an extra 20 segments made it worth it.

I for one have never ever made it close on segments. I think the closeset I got was in the high 70's and I flew about 160k that year. Otherwise I only ever get about mid 50's.
swm61230 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 14, 1:55 pm
  #865  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Usually in SAN or Central Europe.
Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Posts: 21,853
Originally Posted by swm61230 View Post
I always thought UA changed the segment amounts needed so that they were not giving 1k benefits to those that only were basically using them as a commuter bus for a short distance so they figured an extra 20 segments made it worth it.
Wasn't that change at UA due to the merger? Don't forget that CO's top tier was Platinum at 75K miles/90 segments. So that is why UA 1K didn't stay at 100K/100 segments. And since the Platinum level was incorporated into the new Mileage Plus, it didn't make sense to have Platinum and 1K be only a difference of 10 segments.
Fanjet is offline  
Old Jul 21, 14, 2:06 pm
  #866  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere you wanna be
Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Posts: 1,657
Originally Posted by austin_res View Post
AA has 10-across on their 77W for over 1 year now. But UA and DL still have 9-across seating in Y on their 777s, and don't appear to have any plans to switch to 10-across. If most passengers don't care, why aren't UA and DL changing to 10-across to take advantage of more revenue potential?
Well for one thing UA only recently refurbished their 777s from 2-5-2 to 3-3-3 less than 3 years ago. They are dirt broke and are not going to spend extra money right now to refurbish.

DL's 77Ls are relatively new and thus they are not going to spend money to refurbish so soon. Maybe when the D check comes along they will.

AC is refurbishing all their 3-3-3 777s to 3-4-3. When DL and UA realizes that carriers with 3-4-3 are still selling full planes, then they will follow suit. i mean its been pretty clear from UA's actions they dont care about pax comfort and are all about maximum profit.

One thing to note is that boeing's marketing materials for the 777X's fuel efficiency and seat economy is based on a 3-4-3 configuration. Eventually everybody will be flying 3-4-3 on 777s in the future. Basically everyone flies 3-3-3 on a 787 that was designed for 2-4-2 (with the exception of two japanese airlines)

Last edited by Col Ronson; Jul 21, 14 at 2:12 pm
Col Ronson is offline  
Old Jul 21, 14, 2:29 pm
  #867  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Usually in SAN or Central Europe.
Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Posts: 21,853
Originally Posted by Col Ronson View Post
Well for one thing UA only recently refurbished their 777s from 2-5-2 to 3-3-3 less than 3 years ago. They are dirt broke and are not going to spend extra money right now to refurbish.

DL's 77Ls are relatively new and thus they are not going to spend money to refurbish so soon. Maybe when the D check comes along they will.
But didn't DL recently announce that their 77Ls are going to have fewer J seats in lieu of more Y seats? So obvioulsy more Y is the direction most airlines are heading towards.
Fanjet is offline  
Old Jul 21, 14, 4:11 pm
  #868  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere you wanna be
Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Posts: 1,657
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
But didn't DL recently announce that their 77Ls are going to have fewer J seats in lieu of more Y seats? So obvioulsy more Y is the direction most airlines are heading towards.
If so that's just disappointing. But hey, DL makes hilarious profits while other airlines stare jealously so they're doing something right from a business perspective.
Col Ronson is offline  
Old Jul 21, 14, 6:39 pm
  #869  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 1,122
IMO UA moved the segment qualification for 1K to 120 segments for the same reason CO required 90 segments for PLAT; 120 segments tended to get you around 100K miles just like 90 segments got you around 75K miles (typically).

However, I don't share the opinion that AA will follow the herd regarding their FF program. They've always done things differently. For instance, upgrades on AA are prioritized based on time of request within elite levels, while DL and UA (from CO) prioritized based on fare class. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think AA will continue to do things the AA way as far as their FF program is concerned, not follow the lead of DL and UA.
Catbert10 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 14, 10:49 pm
  #870  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Over the North Atlantic
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
And those same 777s have 1-2-1 in business class while UA's 777s for most of the fleet have 2-4-2! And the rest have 2-2-2. So which would you prefer to fly? Plus AA elites have access to the greyer pitch 3-3-3 seats.
Indeed. AA's new business on the 77Ws pretty much beats all their competition's stuff at the moment. In fact I haven't flown on BA metal (JFK-LHR) since this product came out. There was one exception when I wanted to fly the BA 787 but that attempt was ruined by the replacement/cancellation of 787 on both legs. I actually ended up taking the AA 77W on the return leg.
muishkin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: